Behringer documentary

ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
My personal opinion aside, I found this mini-doc interesting???a decent "behind the scenes" look into how Behringer makes their gear. The narrator appears to provide a relatively fair portrayal, albeit peppered with editorial commentary.

Taken from here: http://www.audiotechnology.com.au/behringer.html

Comments

• Damn dude, that was interesting!
    I highly recommend not buying behringer shit, shit is made cheap and quality control sucks.

• Interesting, yeah.

And apparently "quality control" doesn't suck-- the narrator makes that pretty clear.

Behringer obviously has a bad reputation, I took this into account when buying my monitors three years ago. And I gotta say I've been 99,9% content.

It's obvious that the company doesn't place emphasis on immaculate craftmanship or unique concepts, but for people on a budget, the lack of "soul" in a piece of gear is hardly anything to lose sleep over.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

I highly recommend not buying behringer shit, shit is made cheap and quality control sucks.

I see where you're coming from, and many would agree. However, I'm not the only person who will tell you that some[/b] of their gear isn't half bad. Their MIDI controllers, for example, are decent. I have an FCB1010 and that thing is built like a tank. My general rule for Behringer (and any cheap gear for that matter... *ahem* M-Audio) is to avoid letting cheapo parts touch the audio, so MIDI is fair game.
    Seems like they have a new commitment to quality control though, if you believe what you hear in the video.

• Yeah, their headphone preamps and DI boxes are good for the $$$...But, in general most of their gear in unreliable.

• That was done by an aussie mag, and they copped a lot of shit for the whole "soul" thing. I think it's crap too - a Neuman or a Neve only has "soul" because it has decades of history behind it and people mythologising it so much. I mean there's no way Behringer is on par with many companies, but they've shaken up the audio game and should be commended for it. I mean do I really need an esoteric patchbay? Or a soul drenched midi controller? I haven't had any problems with the few things I have from them, but I'd hate to build an entire studio around their stuff.

• Oh and Daft Punk are using a few of their midi controllers live, so they can't be too bad...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I think it's crap too - a Neuman or a Neve only has "soul" because it has decades of history behind it and people mythologising it so much.

Sorry dude but you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about here. People worship that vintage gear for good reason and if you ever use it, you'll understand why.

Behringer's ability to make MIDI controllers that don't break has nothing to do with their ability (or lack thereof) to make worthwhile pro audio components.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Daft Punk are using a few of their midi controllers live

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i have found the mixers they make seem to be a little poor on the build side, but i and quite a few people i know use and are happy with the b2031a monitor, i am sure as hell most of us would be using EMS or something if we had the spare 2000 lying around, but as none of the people i know use them for mastering just mixing its not such a big thing

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Hm.. I was going to reply to Thes's message, but now it's gone?

Behringer makes (semi)cheap shit gear.

The dude who did the journal seemed to know everyone was going to bash him on it.

He admitted they used to make REALLY shit gear, but now they're somewhat acceptable. Which is true. Though still for the most part SHIT, anything HUGELY manufactured in China is going to be shittier than anything Hand built that's common knowledge.

Though, Uli's company focuses on getting Product out there and if you're going to buy cheap instead of quality it might as well be a behringer. He's obviously doing something right making that much money. But it obviously explains why behringer products are such shit, and why you shouldn't expect them to be anything but.

- spidey

• I pulled my post because it was a complete rant, and when i re-read it I thought, well that's fucked up to post if behringer is the only thing a dude can afford. And honestly, good music while shine through no matter how crappy the recording equipment.

but at the same time, there was a WHOLE lot of suspect stuff in this doc which explain exactly why B is such utter shit, the fact that they tout the Surface mount PCB's - NO! Not a +, the fact that they basically say that by setting up B Town, they can go from the design stage all the way to manufacturing in China, sorry this is not a +, if anything it ensures your product design will only get worse, as your designers don't know or care about audio. Sure most things are manufactured in China but the fact that the design comes from people with experience who demand quality makes a difference.

I'm on some save the planet tip, and I don't feel like the earth needs to be rung dry making $199 audio gear that specs and sounds like catshit because its filled up with shit surface mount IC's so a few dudes can put some beats up on myspace.

hehe, I retyped my rant!

See you at NAMM, ULI!

• See you at NAMM, ULI!

Yo, come check me out at the Auralex booth...

• Word? working the booth or do you work foe 'em?

• Both.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm not gonna front cause I have a Behringer board. It really does suck but when I bought it it's what I could afford. I have a Mackie now that I want to hook up but I'm to lazy to take all my shit apart and redo all the wiring. Mackie's aren't all that much better but fuck it I got it for free.

I think I'll probably sell my Behringer board for like $10 when I'm done with it.

• Seems to me Behringer is simply following the capitalist imperative. Ultimately after all the talk of cost cutting and whether the company has a "soul", if customers aren't buying products because they're built crappily, Behringer will be out of business. But, ultimately it's "buyer beware" -- you get what you pay for. They make entry-level products but not all their customers are entry-level.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    as long as young bucks wanna get into the music game, behringer will be around. a lot of touring people use their midi controllers as burners cos like do you really want to bring an expensive ass midi controller on tour and have that shit break or just bring a $100 piece of shit that gets the job done and if needed MAYBE need to replace it once on tour. i'd echo the "no audio" sentiment previously stated in this thread. you can clone another company's midi controller and have the same functionality with cheaper parts. you cannot clone another company's mixer and have the same sound at a cheaper price.

• well that's fucked up to post if behringer is the only thing a dude can afford.

Yeah, the point I've tried to make on this subject in the past is that you can get a $100-300 Behringer piece that does the same thing as a $400-600 Mackie or Yamaha or whatever piece, but in the longrun, the Behringer piece works just as good, if not better than, the more expensive piece. I think it's because any company manufacturing something in such an "affordable" price range has to cut corners to keep the costs down, so you're not getting good quality when you can't spend big bucks, no matter what the brand name. Mackie n'em can just tack on the extra couple hundo because they have a more established name and a more trusted product. In reality though, their low end shit ain't much better than Behringer's. So ultimately, it's not really Behringer, it's the amount of money you're spending on gear in general that is more going to determine the quality of your product.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    mackie don't just tack on shit to the price tag. they have to recoup r&d costs while behringer kinda skips over those costs entirely

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    well that's fucked up to post if behringer is the only thing a dude can afford.

Yeah, the point I've tried to make on this subject in the past is that you can get a $100-300 Behringer piece that does the same thing as a $400-600 Mackie or Yamaha or whatever piece, but in the longrun, the Behringer piece works just as good, if not better than, the more expensive piece. I think it's because any company manufacturing something in such an "affordable" price range has to cut corners to keep the costs down, so you're not getting good quality when you can't spend big bucks, no matter what the brand name. Mackie n'em can just tack on the extra couple hundo because they have a more established name and a more trusted product. In reality though, their low end shit ain't much better than Behringer's. So ultimately, it's not really Behringer, it's the amount of money you're spending on gear in general that is more going to determine the quality of your product.

True. These days you're probably better going digital until you can get at least something like an Allen & Heath.

If Rane made a simple mixer like these companies they could destroy the competition. I don't particularly like the sound of their gear but it's reliable and has a lot of headroom.

• Yeah, I mean, you compare the price of an Allen and Heath 12 channell to a Mackie or Behringer, and it's at least double the cost. That's more the price you're going to pay if you really want quality. Any $400 12 channell mixer is only going to do so much for you and last so long...

• I think it's crap too - a Neuman or a Neve only has "soul" because it has decades of history behind it and people mythologising it so much.

Sorry dude but you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about here. People worship that vintage gear [/b] for good reason and if you ever use it, you'll understand why.

Behringer's ability to make MIDI controllers that don't break has nothing to do with their ability (or lack thereof) to make worthwhile pro audio components.[/b]

That was kind of my point though - it's worshipped as vintage, it has 'soul' because its vintage. When the U87 was first created 40 years ago it was done so to be a really good mic. It lived up to the task and is now lusted after because it has esoteric qualities such as 'soul'. I've used them and they are indeed beautiful sounding mics, but I've also heard plenty of dudes that have been using them since they were created say it's just another mic.

I'm not denying they're great, I'm just saying that products are often prescribed a status well after their conception. There are usually good reasons for this, but to criticize an audio company like Behringer for lack of 'soul' is just bad reporting I think.

At the end of the day I'd rather hear great music from someone with a shitty setup than shitty music from a great setup.

• At the end of the day I'd rather hear great music from someone with a shitty setup than shitty music from a great setup.

I'll take that t-shirt in grey with neon orange printing, XL plaese.

Every night on stage our grand finale is a beat that was mixed and made on a 8 track cassette tascam (Maxell XLII stylee)

Plus, You could record on a behringer and a kelso, BCM-10, or OG 1604 and by the time it ends up on uploaded, downloaded and re-encoded, it'll probably all be pretty similar.

But behringer still sucks.