who here lives in a loft?

LuminLumin 807 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
i stepped my game up and am moving into a loft here downtown. granted its not a huge loft, but its something ive always wanted to live in.im interested in learning how to situate things since i know its not like living in a regular style house or apartment.give me some ideasespecially how you have your records situatedgracias

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    thanks

• Got any pictures? A lot of them are different. Is it an actual loft as in there's a downstairs and an upsatirs that looks over the downstairs, and there's no real walls to seperate the rooms? It really depends on how it's laid out... It also dependso n how much stuff you have.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    All the lofts around here are not really lofts. Just regular apartments/condos with fewer walls. Never seen one I like. Only looked in DC and Richmond though.

I'd rather go around the whole 'Loftstyle' marketing steez and get a big raw open space and parcel it out myself.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    http://miami.craigslist.org/apa/498368703.html

i got the same unit, just a few floors lower
    its not the type that has a second floor although that was an option
    i just aint really ballin out to get one like that
    this would be more of a "loftstyle"
    its straight though

its straight though

those are like the ones I've seen. Again, just less walls. But that appears to be much better quality. Not mention the view and frickin Miami Beach.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    yeah man its definitely cool. ive had my eye on this building for a minute. it just completed construction a few weeks ago, if im not mistaken. i wasnt expecting them to put a pool on the 35th floor, but that was icing
    the view is great but the ocean breeze is where its at.

i really do hope it wont be difficult for me to maximize this space. it is a bit smaller than what im in now. might be a good time to get rid of some furniture
    im curious to know where or how i should put a dining room table in

floor plan
    http://www.miamicondolifestyle.com/floorplan/loft-downtown-ii-fpa3.pdf

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    That's a "studio loft". Problem with lofts, no matter how big they are it's hard to find storage due to the lack of walls to put dresser and shelves against. You might be better putting up a curtain to hide a bunch of crap.

Can't complain about ocean view though. I'm about to trade my view of bridge and Empire State bldg for a garden. Roll on summer

• http://miami.craigslist.org/apa/498368703.html

its straight though

How is that a loft? Looks like a standard studio.

yeah man its definitely cool. ive had my eye on this building for a minute. it just completed construction a few weeks ago, if im not mistaken. i wasnt expecting them to put a pool on the 35th floor, but that was icing
    the view is great but the ocean breeze is where its at.

i really do hope it wont be difficult for me to maximize this space. it is a bit smaller than what im in now. might be a good time to get rid of some furniture
    im curious to know where or how i should put a dining room table in

floor plan
    http://www.miamicondolifestyle.com/floorplan/loft-downtown-ii-fpa3.pdf

do they have storage units in the building? if not I'd go ahead and rent one.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

its straight though

yeah its borderline studio. studios out here are around 450 sq ft and are a straight up square shape. this is a bit bigger and has a few other things a studio out here wouldnt have. ceilings are 10 ft. there were some with 20 ft ceilings, but i havent reached baller status to move into that yet

arent loft spaces basically big studios? any of the up north ones ive been in have been huge open rooms. some have had a second floor, others didnt, depending on if the owner decided to build one.

• http://miami.craigslist.org/apa/498368703.html

its straight though

yeah its borderline studio. studios out here are around 450 sq ft and are a straight up square shape. this is a bit bigger and has a few other things a studio out here wouldnt have. ceilings are 10 ft. there were some with 20 ft ceilings, but i havent reached baller status to move into that yet

arent loft spaces basically big studios? any of the up north ones ive been in have been huge open rooms. some have had a second floor, others didnt, depending on if the owner decided to build one.

I'd say the lines between a loft this size and a studio are pretty blurry. Semantics, really. They call it a loft so it sounds fancier and they can charge more money for it. As long as you're comfortable with the space and the price, it don't matter.

I just bought a condo here in Denver and it's only a one bedroom, although it's a good size. However, I didn't want all my records taking up half of my living space so I compromised some closet space and put some shelving in one of my three sliding door closets to store a good 2/3 of my record collection. I'm down to about 1700-1800 records now so it wasn't too tough to hide them away. Also, if you have big closets, you can install some shelves above where you hang stuff for record storage. My closets already had that built in, it was perfect. I fit about 5 feet of records across the shelf above where I keep my coats and sneakers and shit like that. It really helped keep my living space open and unconfined. I just have 2 skinny black shelves in the living room for the stuff I listen to the most.

Good luck, sounds like a cool spot.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts

its straight though

Looks like a dope spot. If anything utilize height and stack everything to the celing. If you have any problems fitting in all your records give them to me.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I think the definition of a loft has been rendered lately with the current redevelopment and reusing of existing buildings. There is a clearer definition of a loft, I just can't find it.

• -

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Cahoots, I agree.

Me and the boy just moved outta the huge ass loft we lived in for almost four years.

Moving hundreds of crates for days. The space is/was about 1900 sq feet. We had fun parties tho, but I feel that it is time to kind of grow up. Be all Grown and Sexy

We had about over 300 people that night!!!

Now we live in a lovely new spot (brand new!) that is smaller, no roommates, revolving door of drunk idiots, and nice little fireplace. etc....

awwwwww....so nice

But man, moving crates and boxes of records really makes you think, "Do I really need all these Frickin' records??!!"

sure, sure, I do.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    see thats what id like to eventually own
    1900 sq ft of open area sounds right up my alley
    no thanks on moving hundreds of crates though

• been living in the same loft for about 3 years. we have 13 foot ceilings, and around 1200 sq. ft of room. there is actually a seperate bedroom, but the common area is quite spacious. i have a 5 x 5 expedit for my lps, and the higher ceilings leave plenty of room for my stackable plastic totes with lids for my 45s (which i like better than the white cardboard boxes). there's penty of room for my turntable set up/ mackie board/ cdj/ laptop/ mpc, plus another desktop computer. it's by far the best place i've lived in space wise, and ride for a loft any day.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    i actually looked at buying one of the two bedroom units of that building (odd layout). That particular building charges their maintnance fees based on square footage and this adds up quick (i think it was about 600+ at the for the unit we looked at), but other than that the prices of those units to buy are a steal for downtown, especially compared to brickell prices.

I am still possibly in the market for a two bedroom, maybe gonna look again in a couple months. They kill you with the maintnance fee's though, most of the fees range from 500 (cheap end) to about 1200, thats on top of the mortgage. If we decide to do this, im probably gonna just rent out my current condo.

renting isnt a bad idea though in downtown or brickell cause of the lack of maintnance fees.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    with that layout, i wouldnt even bother with a dining room table unless you have feasts with mad people. just keep your records in there

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    word man. i thought the 2 bedroom was an odd layout as well
    there is a spot on 26th street and 2nd ave thats really really nice
    not sure how much it costs to buy one, but when i went in there, they reminded me of what a true loft is. 20 ft ceilings, 2 level... i saw a cat put a basketball goal in his unit. he had a really large one though
    i doubt those would be going for cheap but you might want to look into them
    they are called parc lofts

holla