have you met FAMOUS people?

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I've met a couple of famous people in my day... But...

I'm looking forward to seeing if a gurl I work with (Who is kinda famous for this ABBA thing she does) will blow up in the reality TV world. She's gonna be on that Rock Star INXS show for CBS comin up! I'm looking forward to the jokes we get to play with her @ work! Really nice gurl tho...

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I used to see clyde stubblefield, richard davis on the daily.

(famous in our world)

If Richard Davis is that same Richard Davis, then he attended our orchestra concerts in high school. His daughter was my stand partner.

• I post on a message board that Junie from the Ohio Players, Diplo, Soulman, Supreme, Jake One, Cosmo Baker, Young Einstein, and Monty from Stark Reality contribute to as well.

Are you saying that these dudes are celebrities? Cuz if you are, you might as well go on & add my name to the list.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

However, my Dad is pretty good friends with "Booger" of Revenge of the Nerds and highc avatar fame!! They both belong to the same Sherlock Holmes Society in NYC (don't ask), and hang out together once in a while. My Dad always calls him by his real name to me, and I'm like "Who?" and he goes "you know, 'Booger'" and I'm like "BOOGER!!" He says when they walk down the street, even in celebrity-rich NYC, a handful of people just stop and point at dude and go, "BOOGER!!!"

you got to meet Curtis Armstrong!!! Lucky

I used to work at Motor Studios. (Fat Mikes studio)(from NOFX) So I got to hang out with tons of folks on his label Fat Wreck-Chords. Alltho Im not that into their music, all those guys are hella cool people.

Also used to work as a bellhop @ the W in Westwood. Saw Sisqo in the elevator once. Didn't know it was really him and I foolishly said "hey you look like that thong guy" he just sneered at me and said "I AM that thong guy"
    Durring source awards Ghostface was walking around the loby with his entourage smoking fat blunts
    judge judy lived there for a few months... meanest old lady ever
    checked in Jeff Bridges one time... wanted to refer to him as "the dude" but wasn't sure if that was appropriate so I resisted.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Lots and lots ??? I used to work on a late night entertainment show as the segment producer/booker. One of the music guests, whose name I don???t even recall was a former junkie who was a bit younger than me and looked older than my mom and weighed about 80 lbs. I had to do the pre-interview with her when she was warming up. So I was in her dressing room asking her questions as she???s stretching and gargling and whatnot. And oh yea, she was naked as a jaybird. I???ve got girl-bits ??? whatever about the naked part. It was the fact that I could see her skeleton right through her skin that was so freaky.

Memorable ones: I had a crush on Lenny Kravitz til I interviewed him; dude has the personality of a log. Vince Carter was super nice, super sexy,charming and has presence for days. Mary J. Blige was very nice and polite and actually funny ??? her performance was incredible. The Roots were jokers and I had to ask some of their crew to stop hitting on the 17 yr old co-op students. Ali Shaheed Muhammad liked my boots. Wilco were hilarious and kinda sexy and I got a couple of Big Star 45s sent to me after talking with them and although Wilco is not my thing ??? their performance was great. Jennifer Jason Leigh was, um, aloof. Mitch Hedberg was very nice, a nervous wreck before going on and drank JD to chill out. Dilated Peoples were also very nice and spent a ton of time with the kids/fans after the show.

Lots and lots ??? I used to work on a late night entertainment show as the segment producer/booker. One of the music guests, whose name I don???t even recall was a former junkie who was a bit younger than me and looked older than my mom and weighed about 80 lbs. I had to do the pre-interview with her when she was warming up. So I was in her dressing room asking her questions as she???s stretching and gargling and whatnot. And oh yea, she was naked as a jaybird. I???ve got girl-bits ??? whatever about the naked part. It was the fact that I could see her skeleton right through her skin that was so freaky.

Memorable ones: I had a crush on Lenny Kravitz til I interviewed him; dude has the personality of a log. Vince Carter was super nice, super sexy,charming and has presence for days. Mary J. Blige was very nice and polite and actually funny ??? her performance was incredible. The Roots were jokers and I had to ask some of their crew to stop hitting on the 17 yr old co-op students. Ali Shaheed Muhammad liked my boots. Wilco were hilarious and kinda sexy and I got a couple of Big Star 45s sent to me after talking with them and although Wilco is not my thing ??? their performance was great. Jennifer Jason Leigh was, um, aloof. Mitch Hedberg was very nice, a nervous wreck before going on and drank JD to chill out. Dilated Peoples were also very nice and spent a ton of time with the kids/fans after the show.

Funny... I was going to say you...

Side note: Speaking of Ali Shaheed Muhammad. Like a huge dumbass... I once had a 30 min convo w/ ASM and didn't even realize it was him til 30 seconds after he walked out the door. I think it was because he didn't have his cap on and it threw me off. Either that or the guy was so damn down to earth and absolutely zero attitute. The guy he was rollin with was just as nice. It's kinda nice to run across that.

what do these m&ms mean?

what do these m&ms mean?

Thats just ur cheering section!

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I post on a message board that Junie from the Ohio Players, Diplo, Soulman, Supreme, Jake One, Cosmo Baker, Young Einstein, and Monty from Stark Reality contribute to as well.

Are you saying that these dudes are celebrities? Cuz if you are, you might as well go on & add my name to the list.

I'm saying man. You think I'd ever tell someone I met Jake? lol...matter of fact I've never really been in awe over anyone. I've met some people some would coin as being "famous", but I really didn't care. Dunno. I just look at it like they're no different than me, they just caught a break

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Side note: Speaking of Ali Shaheed Muhammad. Like a huge dumbass... I once had a 30 min convo w/ ASM and didn't even realize it was him til 30 seconds after he walked out the door. I think it was because he didn't have his cap on and it threw me off. Either that or the guy was so damn down to earth and absolutely zero attitute. The guy he was rollin with was just as nice. It's kinda nice to run across that.

Allegedly he DJs in a lounge in Wburg every Thursday night... I'm not believing it quite yet although I'll go see for myself. He'll need to be humble when someone asks for some of that old skool shit and they mean him!

I think me and the people who had that job could do the job cause we weren't star-struck. If you're into celebrities and stuff, it would be too much "omigosh" and not enough down-to-business.
    This is one for the Canadians (and whomever else watched CBC on sattelite) - in the three years I worked there, only one person tripped me up and it caught me completely off-guard. When I went to say hello to Knowlton Nash - I freaked out! I couldn't get the words out, my whole head felt like it was on fire, my heart was pounding and I had to run upstairs to the offices to calm down. I think it was years and years of growing up with the guy telling me the news and then to suddenly be standing in front of him and shaking his hand was too much.

I post on a message board that Junie from the Ohio Players, Diplo, Soulman, Supreme, Jake One, Cosmo Baker, Young Einstein, and Monty from Stark Reality contribute to as well.

I'm saying man. You think I'd ever tell someone I met Jake? lol...matter of fact I've never really been in awe over anyone. I've met some people some would coin as being "famous", but I really didn't care. Dunno. I just look at it like they're no different than me, they just caught a break

Only once I was in "awe"... I was 10 and I got a chance to hang out with Bobby Orr in Perry Sound. I was at camp and his parents openned up their home for all the kids and then after, I (with 6 other kids) got to go on his boat. When I asked a question and he shook my head, I seriously was thinking that I was never gonna wash my hair again. For a young Canadian boy who played hockey... It was huge to me.

After that, the only person I was in awe of was my grandfather...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Only once I was in "awe"... I was 10 and I got a chance to hang out with Bobby Orr in Perry Sound. I was at camp and his parents openned up their home for all the kids and then after, I (with 6 other kids) got to go on his boat. When I asked a question and he shook my head, I seriously was thinking that I was never gonna wash my hair again. For a young Canadian boy who played hockey... It was huge to me.

Word, I've had a few Bobby Orr sightings around Boston, where, of course, he is Legend. As a bike courier, I made a few deliveries to him at his office at Wolff Associates - in the front lobby they have a replica of his locker set up, with jersey, sticks, etc. One time I had a "round trip" where he had to sign things and I would bring them back, and I was sent straight into his office. He was super nice and humble, like he always seemed, and when I told him I was a huge fan (I am a Bruins diehard), I swear he blushed, this from a guy that's been sweated everywhere he goes for over 30 years. I also saw him scouting at a couple of college hockey games, and he just spends the whole time between periods signing autographs for kids who line-up in the aisle.

Almost better than that, Bobby's co-Cup-victor Derek Sanderson works in downtown Boston at an accounting firm, and seems to spend half his day standing outside smoking butts and kickin' it to young interns. I had a nice routine of flying up on my Basso (with B's sticker on side, Bruins patch on my courier bag), give a casual "'sup Turk?" as I locked my bike, and get a military-salute in response from the greatest penalty killer of all time...

Orr & Sanderson Vinyls...I got both of these, the Sanderson 45 comes with a hilarious 5x8 photo of him all pimped-out!

Word, I've had a few Bobby Orr sightings around Boston, where, of course, he is Legend. As a bike courier, I made a few deliveries to him at his office at Wolff Associates - in the front lobby they have a replica of his locker set up, with jersey, sticks, etc. One time I had a "round trip" where he had to sign things and I would bring them back, and I was sent straight into his office. He was super nice and humble, like he always seemed, and when I told him I was a huge fan (I am a Bruins diehard), I swear he blushed, this from a guy that's been sweated everywhere he goes for over 30 years. I also saw him scouting at a couple of college hockey games, and he just spends the whole time between periods signing autographs for kids who line-up in the aisle.

Almost better than that, Bobby's co-Cup-victor Derek Sanderson works in downtown Boston at an accounting firm, and seems to spend half his day standing outside smoking butts and kickin' it to young interns. I had a nice routine of flying up on my Basso (with B's sticker on side, Bruins patch on my courier bag), give a casual "'sup Turk?" as I locked my bike, and get a military-salute in response from the greatest penalty killer of all time...

Orr & Sanderson Vinyls...I got both of these, the Sanderson 45 comes with a hilarious 5x8 photo of him all pimped-out!

Nice!

I've come across the Orr record a bunch, but never that Turk!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I've met a few famous folks over the years. Here goes:

1. Big Daddy Kane, Mista Cee, Scoob & Scrap, Rappin' is Fundamental (Easy Moe Bee, J.R., and A.B.).

-A guy we did shows with back in 1988-89 took us to Bklyn to meet Kane and crew to try to strike a deal (or a hookup). It didn't work out, but I met, hung out with, smoked trees, and drank with those dudes. A year later, Cee came down to North Carolina to chill with us as well.

2. Cornel West.

-Met him after a talk he gave at the previous university where I taught (1999), and at an earlier time as a graduate student (1997). He was surprisingly down to earth.

3. Khalid Muhammad.

-I met him after a lecture he gave at my graduate institution (1994). He comes across much more humble (and less inflammatory) than he is depicted in the media.

4. Queen Latifah.

-Met her backstage at a Big Daddy Kane concert (circa 1990) that Cee scored us tickets. She was mad cool.

5. Vesta Williams.

-Met her after the Foxy 99FM anniversary concert down in the ville (circa 1991). She was a sweetie. Got me a big ole' hug and everything.

6. Dres.

-I saw cat hanging around Fatdaddy's Sports Bar (Fayetteville, NC) in 1995. I tried to play him and his cats some beats, but he fronted by asking me to send them. I was like, "why do that when you can hear them live now?" Oh well!!!

7. Willie Neal Johnson and Charles McClain.

-This was around 1978. I met them with my pops, who knew both of them, after a Gospel Keynotes concert. They were really nice guys, despite their fame in the gospel music world at the time.

8. John Abercrombie, George Mranz, Tony Freedus, and Ravi Coltrane.

-I met them in 1999 at the Blue Note in NYC, in between sets. We were all having drinks at the bar discussing music. These cats were mad cool and interesting.

9. Earl Tatum.

-This former All-American, college basketball standout from Marquette University (1972-1976) is my cousin who I maintain contact with here in MilwauKKKee.

10. Michael Redd.

-He is currently my downstairs neighbor. I see dude on the regular, and he is easygoing and down-to-earth.

11. Positive K.

-I met dude at the Big Daddy Kane concert mentioned above, on which he was the opening act. Cat is craaaaaazy short, though. Cool dude.

12. EPMD.

-I met them after the homecoming concert for my college (circa 1989). I later met PMD in Akron after his show at Bedrock's nightclub (circa 1995). We had drinks and talked about hip-hop. Cat was down-to-earth and had strong (negative) views on where the artform was going at the time.

13. Bertice Berry.

-I danced with girl at Chanell's nightclub in Akron, OH. She was in town for the Kent State homecoming (circa 1994). Oh girl was shakin' that big ole' ass all up on me, so I had to get up on it!!!!

14. Maceo Parker.

-I met him in 1999 on a flight to Atlanta to attend a professional conference where I was presenting research. He was friendly and seemed surprised that I knew who he was. Some lady though he was part of the flight crew and asked him to get her a drink. Go figure!!!

15. Kwame Toure.

-I met him after a talk he gave at my undergraduate institution (circa 1991). Dude was relatively approachable, but intense.

16. Experienced Unlimited.

-I met them on the chitlin circuit around 1990. My group and I were doing shows for this shady production company, and EU was the headliner. These dudes were a bunch of suckas!!! Sugar Bear was throwin' his weight around like he was the man, generally acting like an asshole. After the show, one of the percussionists and another member of the group was tryin' to push up on some groupie chicks. He asked me and one of our dancers (remember those days?) to tell them that they were from EU. We said, "yo, we don't know who they are" and went on to push up on the girls ourselves. We scooped them, and you know the rest... Anyway, duded tried to riff on us the next day about that shit (before the 2nd show) and got all indignant about the groupies. The percussionist dude had to be restrained, while I was laughing at him for actin' like a sucka, so as not to step to me and get his punk-ass whooped!!! Too funny!!!

17. Intro.

-I met them before they were Intro on the same chitlin circuit described above. They had some name involving "posse" and they were trying to rap (wack). They were in the military at the time and were really cool dudes. The members left the military, returned to NYC, and I think ya'll know the rest...(cue up "Song for My Mother").

18. Rev. Julius Cheeks.

-I met him after a gospel concert at the Civic Center in Baltimore, MD with my pops (around 1976).

There are probably more famous folks I've met, but I can't think of anymore right now.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Considering how many people on this board (the ones who are keeping quiet) hang with famous people every other day, this thread is kinda embarrassing. So fuck it, my house is famous: The Beatnuts used my doorstep to do a photo shoot. It's got that Wburg urban decay vibe going on. Look for it in La-deena magazine

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Around '97-'98, I met RZA and ODB in Harlem. RZA is a cool ass dude and Ol' Dirt well, he was real quiet. Everybody expects him to be this straight up wild cat but he was very chill.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I used to babysit for Jack Ruby's[/b] nephew. I didn't get to see the gun.

I had Passover at Bob Dylan's[/b] house when I was a freshman at UCLA. A friend of mine had a Dad in the music biz and invited me to dinner. Bob lead the ceremony in Hebrew and they had a big Mastiff who snored the whole dinner. I got to wander around the house and look at all the pictures. Very cool.

I deejayed Soleil Moon Frye aka Punky Brewster's[/b] 21st birthday party.

I had a class with Urkel[/b] at UCLA. He was a dick.

I got to DJ a radio show with Prince Po and Pharaohe Monch[/b] when they were still Organized.

I hung out with Grandmaster Caz[/b] in SF and helped him pick out his outfit for this show he was doing.

I know Young Einstein and Cosmo Baker![/b]

I watched Micha Nine and Ab Rude[/b] freestyle for hours at Ab's house one night in South Central LA, as some honeys rolled blunts in the kitchen and Fat Jack played the beats- I was with my Bro, very surreal.

Cut Chemist [/b] and I met in Photography class at UCLA.

and the indy hip hop list is endless, I shan't bore you.

• pasepase 89 Posts

I deejayed Soleil Moon Frye aka Punky Brewster's[/b] 21st birthday party.

wow.

I dj'ed a private party for Snoop Dogg and Ghostface Killah. got the best Ghostface drop ever. I get intimidated every time I hear it, and can never finish a mix to use it with. I also did a Justin Timberlake and Black Eyed Peas party "Where is The Love" era. JT just wanted to hear NERD all night. also Larry Flynt party, and Jenna Jameson. Jenna got naked, but that wasn't so unusual I guess. Larry and Jimmy Flynt are cool as fuck. there are more but prob not as memorable. only close to being starstruck meeting Ghostface. and Larry Flynt. as well, I know Cosmo Baker and DJ Anna!!!!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Does anyone remember Shabazz The Disciple? He was a Wu-affliate who did some joints back in the 90's. Anyway, I met him the same day that I saw RZA and Ol' Dirt. Shabazz was a real cool dude. Also, around that same time frame, I met Mista Sinista (former X-Men), Neil Armstrong and Roli Rho (5th Platoon). They are some real down to earth dudes. The shit blew my mind cause this was about the time I started dj'ing.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I met that one dude from Five Deez once.

He was shorter than I thought he would be.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ... real talk, movie stars look hellza good in the movies and vids and shit but face to face they can be some real goblins...

Fer real, and I seen some fashion models in person, and "I'd tap" becomes "I'd force-feed them a sandwich..." Not only ridiculously thin, but the facial features on a model are often so severe they will straight have you breakin' north!

Not that I'm fighting off runway models with a baseball bat or anything...

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    musicians:

billy idol
    aerosmith
    wu-tang (pre and post 36 chambers)
    redman (smoked weed with in N.O.)
    artifacts (hit some walls on my 21st bday, along with kevvy kev and bobbito)
    masta ase (and crew)
    2pac
    biggie (the day before he died)
    pete rock
    diamond
    xzibit (one of the coolest cats ive ever met)
    saafir
    ras kass
    primo
    guru
    krs-one
    dj red alert
    busy bee
    afrika bam
    dres (from black sheep)
    garth brooks
    shania twain
    brandy
    tatyana ali (whos a bitch)
    mary j blige (during her drinking days)
    brand nubian
    serch (who was nice enough to give us a ride to the wetlands? or some club in new york he co-owned so we could watch organized do a show...)
    organized konfusion
    etc
    etc
    etc

actors/actresses:

roger moore
    clint eastwood
    cheech marin
    don johnson
    (that asian girl from nash bridges)
    yasmine bleth (or whatever her name is... shes a good pot smoker)

id add more but i gotta go... bye!

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    y'all remember wrestling back in the day? back in the times when slick rick and mr fuji were managers. well there was a manager that wore hawaiin shirts and was a rather chubby fellow. he was sitting in my flight seats when me and pops were headed to goa.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    I met Mamie Lee in Boston in the mid 60s. We were both married with children. I met her again in Los Angeles in the mid 70s. In the space of about three months, we made some music in Studio B at Joe Gottfried's Sound City Studios with Nancy Atkins' ARP synthesizer when I had some off time between session clients, (Mandrill, Fleetwood Mac, Candi Staton, Bill Cosby, Lonnie Jordan, Lee Oskar, Buddy Miles, et al...), got married, and then she tragically died.

She made records for Don Costa in the 60s: MGM singles - "I Can Feel Him Slipping Away" & "Come Back To Me" and the LP - Once In A Lifetime.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Having owned a drum company i have met alot of drummers and heard them play our drums
    Billy Cobham
    Jack DeJohnette
    Bernard Purdie
    Steve Ferrone
    Dennis Chambers
    Cindy Blackman
    Ricky Lawson
    Kenny Arronof

Also Met (at Namm Show)
    George Clinton
    Bootsy Collins
    Grandmaster Flash
    Giovanni Hildago

Worked on a few movies in Cairns with
    Ray Liotta
    Val Kilmer (complete drug fucked wanker)
    Marlon Brando
    Sean Penn
    Adrien Brody
    James Caviezel
    Ben Chaplin
    George Clooney
    John Cusack
    Woody Harrelson
    Jared Leto
    Nick Nolte
    John C. Reilly

Also met Cate Blanchett when she made her first movie in Cairns. She was at a friends Party. She had an amzing presence and I fell in love with her. Cool and laid back chick

• I met Prince in 1999. I had been going to late night parties/shows/rehearsals at Paisley Park since the early 90's and when Kurt Loder was at Paisley interviewing him about his millinium show, he played a show for the mtv people and about 13 of us that heard about it. It was at 1 in the morning. Afterwards he was just standing by the door with his bodyguard so I walked up to him and talked to him for a bit. I just thanked him for letting me come to so many shows and parties at Paisley Park. He talked about mtv being there all day and he gave me a jehovah's witness flyer.

• Living in New York I've met a bunch, but most by far was when I was a kid growing up in Philly. My dad and I played 2 on 2 with Dr. J and his son Zeus.

They won.

• EscalanteEscalante 197 Posts
    I once shared an elevator with Carrot Top. Thats my claim to fame...

And I just recently met Newt Gengrich.

Oh yea...Brandy cut in front of me in the line for the Sky Screamer at MGM grand a few years back....

I've met alot in the hip hop scene but Rakaa was by far the coolest.

• jaybreeziejaybreezie 161 Posts
    I slung certificates for oil changes door to door with this guy in Seattle in '98-'99.

Real cool guy. It looks like he's making it in Hollywood, but he could have been a lot of things. One of the funniest people I ever met and he could draw cartoons on a professional level too. Now 12 year girls think he's dreamy.

I played Little League with Amani Toomer.
    He must have been like 5'10 at 12 years old and trying to hit off that fool from a mound only 44 feet away was Dude threw GAS. I got the suicide squeeze sign once with Amamani pitching and needless to say, i did not get that shit down. That shit was by me before I even squared around! His dad was way into martial arts and was crazy disciplinarian, which we kids all thought must have sucked at time, but looking back on it was no doubt a good thing for a pro athlete.