Post Your Christopher Cross Stories

2»

Comments

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    "Sailing" reminds me of my mom picking me up from the Algiers levee after basketball practice. My school was in the Lower 9th Ward of New Orleans and we lived on the West Bank in Harvey. It made for an hour-and-a-half bus ride each way. Once I made the 7th grade basketball team and would stay after school for practice, I'd have to take a late bus to the Chalmette ferry and then have my mom pick me up on the other side. One of those days, I got in her car and "Sailing" was playing and for whatever reason (it was far from my first time to hear the song) I allowed myself to get really deep into it. 25 years later and I still reference that one particular, yet non-uinque-in-any-way day whenever I think of or hear that song.

That's a cool story. Whatever you think of AOR and it's happy land of banality, "Sailing" is well-produced uber-smoothe pop song. It rules.

Best believe that I still own a copy of that record.

And now that I think about it, "Ride Like the Wind" reminds me of my orthodonitist's office.

Ha! I played the record for a girl and she said "It's like I'm sitting in a dentist's office". That is the genius of AOR.

AOR? No Album-Oriented Rock station would have been playing Christopher Cross between Pat Travers (Google him) and Def Leppard. But...Cross RULED Adult Contemporary stations...

Thanks for correcting me. For some reason I was thinking "AOR" was Adult Oriented Rock.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    "Sailing" reminds me of my mom picking me up from the Algiers levee after basketball practice. My school was in the Lower 9th Ward of New Orleans and we lived on the West Bank in Harvey. It made for an hour-and-a-half bus ride each way. Once I made the 7th grade basketball team and would stay after school for practice, I'd have to take a late bus to the Chalmette ferry and then have my mom pick me up on the other side. One of those days, I got in her car and "Sailing" was playing and for whatever reason (it was far from my first time to hear the song) I allowed myself to get really deep into it. 25 years later and I still reference that one particular, yet non-uinque-in-any-way day whenever I think of or hear that song.

That's a cool story. Whatever you think of AOR and it's happy land of banality, "Sailing" is well-produced uber-smoothe pop song. It rules.

Best believe that I still own a copy of that record.

And now that I think about it, "Ride Like the Wind" reminds me of my orthodonitist's office.

Ha! I played the record for a girl and she said "It's like I'm sitting in a dentist's office". That is the genius of AOR.

AOR? No Album-Oriented Rock station would have been playing Christopher Cross between Pat Travers (Google him) and Def Leppard. But...Cross RULED Adult Contemporary stations...

Thanks for correcting me. For some reason I was thinking "AOR" was Adult Oriented Rock.

This debate/discrepancy once turned into a :5pager:

• the people at the information counter had to keep anouncing during the day that christopher cross was coming ("singer of such songs as 'sailing' and 'stroke'")

Naw, "The Stroke" was Billy Squier!

AND THAT'S THE FUNNY PART!

• the people at the information counter had to keep anouncing during the day that christopher cross was coming ("singer of such songs as 'sailing' and 'stroke'")

Naw, "The Stroke" was Billy Squier!

AND THAT'S THE FUNNY PART!

Heh, and here I was thinking this was a C. Cross comeback single I never heard of!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    LIMP WRISTED WHACK ASS PLATNUM SOUL-LESS AOR AM-FM DRECK

I concur.