Post Your Christopher Cross Stories

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
This album saved me:I was going through a tough time. I'd just broken up from a very serious relationship, I had a lot of debt and even more emotional baggage, and I was living high and dry away from any navigable body of water. I was digging through the dollar bins--that was all I could afford then--and came across that pink flamingo. Is there a bird that says glorious sunshine ray of hope more than the flamingo? I bought the album and took it home. The first couple of tracks get you into the right place--I think it's a catamaran in St Barths or maybe a yacht in the keys, I'm not exactly sure, but it's definitely the right place. When "Sailing" hit it was like a switch flipped in my head. All that "Saiillllinggg take me blah blah blah; Saiiillliiing takes me blah blah blah; SAAAAIILLLINNNG!!!11!" forced me to get my act together, buy a little boat, learn the pleasures of being three sheets to the wind (canvas, mind you), and now life is great, like a reverie, believe me. I also spend a lot of time in fern bars eating quiche and sea biscuits. One day I'm going to make just enough money to live on my boat with a sweet hi-fi system so I can blast this track for the mermaids and periwinkles. I really want to see Chistopher live.What's your Cristopher Cross story?<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object><object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object><object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>edit: why can't I embed these videos? it's embarrassing for a mod to be so incompetent! help me christopher!

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    AMEN DANNO.

For me it will always be about "All right":

I know, I know what's on your mind
    And I know it gets tough sometimes
    But you can give it one more try
    Find a reason why
    You should pick it up
    And try it again

'Cause it's all right
    I think we're gonna make it
    I think it might just work out this time
    It's all right
    I think it might work out fine this time
    It's all right
    I think it might just work out
    'Cause it's not too late for that
    Too late for me (love)

Thank you for being there, Chris.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

This tape was on repeat in my dad's truck back when the album hit. He and my mom were freshly divorced. It was the soundtrack to driving up to his place to visit for the weekends. Bittersweet and beautiful.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

This tape was on repeat in my dad's truck back when the album hit. He and my mom were freshly divorced. It was the soundtrack to driving up to his place to visit for the weekends. Bittersweet and beautiful.

That's what I'm talking about. The power of smoothe.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I remember ride like the wind from childhood roadtrips. It always makes me feel good.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    LIMP WRISTED WHACK ASS PLATNUM SOUL-LESS AOR AM-FM DRECK

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

that's it. Danno, please ban this gentleman already.

that's it. Danno, please ban this gentleman already.

Here's the kicker: I excplicitly told Kala that he has one post every eight hours. Originally, he had one every twelve hours, but he reasonably complained that he needed to update his classified ads and that he pays for those.

So what does Kala do? He makes this ALL CAPS KALA-STYLEE ANGRY POST and then PMs me:

i have to update my auctions

NOW

and i can't

happy now?

Kala, my friend, listen to Christopher Cross. Go sailing. Pet a flamingo. Life is too short for so much anger. Let's keep this thread alive.

• i have to update my auctions

NOW

and i can't

happy now?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    like ive said in the past i enjoy some of hismusic posts

but this 8 hour information and his response post to above comment as well as his post in this thread makes it truly

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    HI KALA! I CAN POST AND YOU CAN'T.

GO OUT AND HAVE SOME ETHNIC SEX.

CHRISTOPHER CROSS FOR LIFE.

Hey, let's keep this Christopher Cross related! No more talking about Kala. Dude is currently sailing (it takes him where he wants to go).

Christopher Cross rules!

Can somebody embed those Christopher Cross live videos?

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    whats with the flamigo's ... what do they represent or is it a fetish ?

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    on my honeymoon, my lovely wife and I got on a little tiny boat, floated out into the water on a absolutely perfect day in St. Lucia, looked at each other, and without a word began "SAAAAIIIIILING......"

sorry but that makes the song and Chris Cross a winner for me.

that and I loved the Arthur them when I was a kid (still do really)

whats with the flamigo's ... what do they represent or is it a fetish ?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I definitely have a fetish for flamingos. Maybe that's too much information, but I think CC would approve.

• tjamestjames 156 Posts

Hey, let's keep this Christopher Cross related! No more talking about Kala. Dude is currently sailing (it takes him where he wants to go).

Christopher Cross rules!

Can somebody embed those Christopher Cross live videos?

web page

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

No bald white dude is smoother.

• that and I loved the Arthur them when I was a kid (still do really)

Dudley Moore and Christopher Cross should have gotten together and recorded a ditty for that one.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

that and I loved the Arthur theme when I was a kid (still do really)

I've mos def been caught between the moon and NYC. Had no idea what that meant until it happened to me.

• LIMP WRISTED WHACK ASS PLATNUM SOUL-LESS AOR AM-FM DRECK

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    My girl and I have had specific talks about Sailing being our first dance song if we ever get married. It would have to be under the stars, maybe on a cruise. That song takes me back to my dad's truck in Santa Cruz when I was too young to step up into the cab by myself.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    "Sailing" reminds me of my mom picking me up from the Algiers levee after basketball practice. My school was in the Lower 9th Ward of New Orleans and we lived on the West Bank in Harvey. It made for an hour-and-a-half bus ride each way. Once I made the 7th grade basketball team and would stay after school for practice, I'd have to take a late bus to the Chalmette ferry and then have my mom pick me up on the other side. One of those days, I got in her car and "Sailing" was playing and for whatever reason (it was far from my first time to hear the song) I allowed myself to get really deep into it. 25 years later and I still reference that one particular, yet non-uinque-in-any-way day whenever I think of or hear that song.

"Sailing" reminds me of my mom picking me up from the Algiers levee after basketball practice. My school was in the Lower 9th Ward of New Orleans and we lived on the West Bank in Harvey. It made for an hour-and-a-half bus ride each way. Once I made the 7th grade basketball team and would stay after school for practice, I'd have to take a late bus to the Chalmette ferry and then have my mom pick me up on the other side. One of those days, I got in her car and "Sailing" was playing and for whatever reason (it was far from my first time to hear the song) I allowed myself to get really deep into it. 25 years later and I still reference that one particular, yet non-uinque-in-any-way day whenever I think of or hear that song.

That's a cool story. Whatever you think of AOR and it's happy land of banality, "Sailing" is well-produced uber-smoothe pop song. It rules.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

That's a cool story. Whatever you think of AOR and it's happy land of banality, "Sailing" is well-produced uber-smoothe pop song. It rules.

Best believe that I still own a copy of that record.

And now that I think about it, "Ride Like the Wind" reminds me of my orthodonitist's office.

And now that I think about it, "Ride Like the Wind" reminds me of my orthodonitist's office.

Ha! I played the record for a girl and she said "It's like I'm sitting in a dentist's office". That is the genius of AOR.

• Wow...I never thought I could contribute to a thread like this but here goes:

I was working at Borders books in 98 and the store would have musical guest, no one big...just like local folk groups and such. One day out of the blue we where having this urgent store meeting. Our General Manager was wearing a suit (dude wore a polo, jeans, and hiking sneakers everyday) and while barely being able to keep a straight face he gets on the mic and announces! "WE HAVE SOME AWESOME NEWS!!! WE'RE HAVING CHRISTOPHER CROSS HIMSELF COMING TO THE STORE!!!". The only people that gave a shit where him and his little monkey assistant. It was nothing but a sea of indifferent faces and I was thinking "Is Christopher Cross that one guy that everyone liked, quit, and is now coming back?"

When the day arrived it was pretty much pandemonioum, the phones where ringing off the hook and there was a line out the door. He was hanging out in the employee break-room/office area and I was there eating my lunch. I didn't know what he looked like so I was just there talking to dude for my entire break thinking he was some new employee or applicant waiting for his interview...when my manager came back he exclaimed "OHHH!!! YOU MET CHRISTOPHER CROSS!!?!?!?" I had a look of complete horror and embarassment...I didn't know who he was except for he was the rason why I had to come in on my day off. What made matters worse is that when he finally played "Sailing" I accidently blurted out "OHHH I KNOW THIS SONG! THIS IS MY MOMS JAM!" and it was like you could hear a pin drop. I decided to take my coffee break.

and also, the people at the information counter had to keep anouncing during the day that christopher cross was coming ("singer of such songs as 'sailing' and 'stroke'")

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    when he finally played "Sailing" I accidently blurted out "OHHH I KNOW THIS SONG! THIS IS MY MOMS JAM!" and it was like you could hear a pin drop.

HAHAHA oh man that is great.

• "Sailing" reminds me of my mom picking me up from the Algiers levee after basketball practice. My school was in the Lower 9th Ward of New Orleans and we lived on the West Bank in Harvey. It made for an hour-and-a-half bus ride each way. Once I made the 7th grade basketball team and would stay after school for practice, I'd have to take a late bus to the Chalmette ferry and then have my mom pick me up on the other side. One of those days, I got in her car and "Sailing" was playing and for whatever reason (it was far from my first time to hear the song) I allowed myself to get really deep into it. 25 years later and I still reference that one particular, yet non-uinque-in-any-way day whenever I think of or hear that song.

Ha! I played the record for a girl and she said "It's like I'm sitting in a dentist's office". That is the genius of AOR.

AOR? No Album-Oriented Rock station would have been playing Christopher Cross between Pat Travers (Google him) and Def Leppard. But...Cross RULED Adult Contemporary stations...

• the people at the information counter had to keep anouncing during the day that christopher cross was coming ("singer of such songs as 'sailing' and 'stroke'")

Naw, "The Stroke" was Billy Squier!