"safe as milk" appreciation

2»

Comments

• top shelf...also, its 2nd greatest sounding rock LP of all time(#1 is Physical Graffiti), Ted Templeman really outdid himself on that one.

• [quote
    top shelf...also, its 2nd greatest sounding rock LP of all time(#1 is Physical Graffiti), Ted Templeman really outdid himself on that one.
    they should have done more work together...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Amazing album. Trout Mask Replica is still #1 for me (it's one of my all-time favourites) but Safe as Milk is mind-blowing too. Think I'll listen to it tonight.

I read an interview (in the Wire, maybe?) where a later Beefheart drummer (think it was the guy who's on Ice cream for crow, can't remember his name) was talking about how the Captain gave musical instructions. He'd get a tape from Don, who'd be like "Play this beat", and it was a tape of him doing the dishes with his wife or something. Genius.

I open admit to not understanding Trout Mask as an audio experience, though I own it. Don (Van) Vliet's poetry reads very well, and I like it better in my head with my personal voice, if only for this album. I have always believed that it sounds ridiculous whenever someone ascribes the title "Artist" to themselves or others, but Van Vliet was one in every sense of the word. Additionally, when the man talks (as he did on the David Letterman show in the 80s), I actually believe the words he's saying. That means a lot to me.

Lick My Decals Off, Baby > Trout Mask Replica

All hail John French and his - what - six piece kit?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

top shelf...also, its 2nd greatest sounding rock LP of all time(#1 is Physical Graffiti), Ted Templeman really outdid himself on that one.

TRUTH!!!

that's my personal fave beefheart.