"safe as milk" appreciation

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
man...half of this album could have come out TODAY and i dont think anybody would even notice that it wasnt new. really set the stage for tons of shit that came out afterwards....i still hear lots of new shit with a similar sound. anybody with me on this? seems like its a huge influence on a lot of stuff now.GREAT album.

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

This LP is so good it can only be represended in graemlin form!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ZIG ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGG!!!![/b]

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    man...half of this album could have come out TODAY and i dont think anybody would even notice that it wasnt new. really set the stage for tons of shit that came out afterwards....i still hear lots of new shit with a similar sound. anybody with me on this? seems like its a huge influence on a lot of stuff now.

GREAT album.

"I'm So Glad" is my favorite joint on that piece. I concur, great album.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    My favorite Beefheart record. It Frickin' oozes Americana to me, and really puts a grip on rock and roll with real roots players mixed of course with the spontaneity and raucous excitement of Beefhearts artistic vibe, I completely agree the record is timeless.
    Mother effing Ry Cooder

And the lineage,

JED!!!

This was also Ry's hands making a cameo against Steve Vai, not Ralph Machios!
    JED played Rys sidai in the beginning and layed it down to inspire

Duane Allman began playing slide cause of him on Statesboro blues. JED is my favorite roots guitar player maybe because he's full on Kiowa indian, and I don't know many better suited as an ambassodor to the sound in his days.
    I don't play Ry's solo albums, but I think he's a traditionalist and excels to accompany a group like he was conditioned.

And in his old age he's still gettin' it togetherRy Cooder & Buena Vista Social Club

I also wanna know what the deal is with these

That song just grows and grows on me, was the candy bar a favorite back then in CA? Or did they roll with that shit! I love what they did with the wrapper.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts

I wanna know about the candy, Im hungry now.

chewy peanut butter center mmmm.

Did they always look like this, or did they change the look when they were bought out in '78 according to the web?

Whats up with a taffy bar? I'm down to rip the molars out they sting anyways.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts

I think this is the East Coast version, I love these things.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

I also wanna know what the deal is with these

That song just grows and grows on me, was the candy bar a favorite back then in CA? Or did they roll with that shit! I love what they did with the wrapper.

They also had a song called Kandy Korn so I would saw they were just stoners with a sweet tooth who sung about their passions.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

I wanna know about the candy, Im hungry now.

chewy peanut butter center mmmm.

Did they always look like this, or did they change the look when they were bought out in '78 according to the web?

Whats up with a taffy bar? I'm down to rip the molars out they sting anyways.

I'm not sure that the look was changed a whole ton, if at all, considering the back of the LP - released in 1967 - was ringed with those distinctive Black-n-Yellow checks.

Good candy, too. I have a wrapper stored within my copy of the album.

The first time I heard this album (early in my understanding of critical listening), I didn't like it. I actually returned the CD. After force-feeding myself 2 or 3 years of rhythm and blues, I loved it. I actually think that it's pretty respectful of the bluesforms it draws from, whereas I cannot listen to a second more of Eric Clapton.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Another thing - this was actually the first LP Buddah released (it was reissued only a bit later with a quote atop the jacket and better pressing, and in the UK with the title "Dropout Boogie").

Does anyone have the OG "Safe As Milk" bumper sticker with their 5001 pressing? Classic.

• Does anyone have the OG "Safe As Milk" bumper sticker with their 5001 pressing?

John Lennon apparently did - I've seen a pic of him in his living room ca. 1967, kicking back and reading, and you can just make out the bumper sticker on his cupboard walls.

I never got the bumper sticker, but I do have the original innersleeve with the tripped-out collage. I'm a fan of Beefheart in general, but this first album here is my hands-down fave.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Does anyone have the OG "Safe As Milk" bumper sticker with their 5001 pressing?

John Lennon apparently did - I've seen a pic of him in his living room ca. 1967, kicking back and reading, and you can just make out the bumper sticker on his cupboard walls.

I never got the bumper sticker, but I do have the original innersleeve with the tripped-out collage. I'm a fan of Beefheart in general, but this first album here is my hands-down fave.

Right. That collage is primo.

May the baby Jesus shut your mouth and open your mind

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    it just sucks that ive never seen a real original copy of this...my trout mask replica was ONE DOLLAR and ive never even SEEN an original safe as milk yet...haha

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Originals are tough. The 1970 press should be everywhere for $10-15 though.

• Originals are tough. The 1970 press should be everywhere for $10-15 though.

...and wasn't there a later press that should be even cheaper?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Originals are tough. The 1970 press should be everywhere for $10-15 though.

I'm pretty sure that there was an '80s pressing.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Amazing album. Trout Mask Replica is still #1 for me (it's one of my all-time favourites) but Safe as Milk is mind-blowing too. Think I'll listen to it tonight.

I read an interview (in the Wire, maybe?) where a later Beefheart drummer (think it was the guy who's on Ice cream for crow, can't remember his name) was talking about how the Captain gave musical instructions. He'd get a tape from Don, who'd be like "Play this beat", and it was a tape of him doing the dishes with his wife or something. Genius.

• one of my favourite albums by a long way.

i got the Marble Arch press ages ago and didnt think anything about it until i noticed they have omitted "grown so ugly" off it!!! possibly the best song on he labum!! WTF...

since when do people hack the best song off albums on the bidget represses???

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Amazing album. Trout Mask Replica is still #1 for me (it's one of my all-time favourites) but Safe as Milk is mind-blowing too. Think I'll listen to it tonight.

I read an interview (in the Wire, maybe?) where a later Beefheart drummer (think it was the guy who's on Ice cream for crow, can't remember his name) was talking about how the Captain gave musical instructions. He'd get a tape from Don, who'd be like "Play this beat", and it was a tape of him doing the dishes with his wife or something. Genius.

I open admit to not understanding Trout Mask as an audio experience, though I own it. Don (Van) Vliet's poetry reads very well, and I like it better in my head with my personal voice, if only for this album. I have always believed that it sounds ridiculous whenever someone ascribes the title "Artist" to themselves or others, but Van Vliet was one in every sense of the word. Additionally, when the man talks (as he did on the David Letterman show in the 80s), I actually believe the words he's saying. That means a lot to me.

in my high school art class we watched an entire documentary on trout mask replica that my friend brought in. the video was Frickin' awesome and i wish i had it...everything about that recording is really interesting. not that its necessarily the same drummer but it mentioned a lot of stuff like this happening.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    in my high school art class we watched an entire documentary on trout mask replica that my friend brought in. the video was Frickin' awesome and i wish i had it...everything about that recording is really interesting. not that its necessarily the same drummer but it mentioned a lot of stuff like this happening.

That sounds like something I'd definitely want to see. If you find it onlinr I'd like to know. Do you remember the title?

That sounds like something I'd definitely want to see. If you find it onlinr I'd like to know. Do you remember the title?

he lives in california now but we talk online occasionally, next time hes on i'll ask him what it was called.

yes, ive got an 80s one..also it was "re-released"
    budget style as "Captain Beefheart at his Best". Great LP indeed.

yes, ive got an 80s one..also it was "re-released"
    budget style as "Captain Beefheart at his Best". Great LP indeed.

ALSO OUT THERE: Top Secret on the budget-priced Accord label, which combined tracks from both of his Buddah LP's.

• Trout Mask Replica is still #1 for me

I open admit to not understanding Trout Mask as an audio experience, though I own it.

I like TMR, but I can't listen to all four sides consecutively - I'd have to intercut it with some other, unrelated record.

• you know, I'm a Beefheart fan and I can't ever seem to sit thru 2 songs of this record.
    Maybe I'm never in the right mood, but it always seems just...dull.
    I always try and then put Lick My Decals Off, Baby back on.

• you know, I'm a Beefheart fan and I can't ever seem to sit thru 2 songs of this record.
    Maybe I'm never in the right mood, but it always seems just...dull.
    I always try and then put Lick My Decals Off, Baby back on.

I'm a big Beefheart fan, but I'm probably an even bigger garage rock fan, so Safe As Milk (plus the earlier things on A&M) are like the best of both worlds to me.

• Amazing album. Trout Mask Replica is still #1 for me (it's one of my all-time favourites) but Safe as Milk is mind-blowing too. Think I'll listen to it tonight.

I open admit to not understanding Trout Mask as an audio experience, though I own it. Don (Van) Vliet's poetry reads very well, and I like it better in my head with my personal voice, if only for this album. I have always believed that it sounds ridiculous whenever someone ascribes the title "Artist" to themselves or others, but Van Vliet was one in every sense of the word. Additionally, when the man talks (as he did on the David Letterman show in the 80s), I actually believe the words he's saying. That means a lot to me.

Lick My Decals Off, Baby > Trout Mask Replica

• Lick My Decals Off, Baby > Trout Mask Replica probably because it's a one-record set instead of two[/b]

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Trout Mask Replica is an amazing record if only in that you can never really predict how someone will react to it. I have played it for people who are all about hellish noise who've absolutely hated it... and I've played it for people who basically like "normal" music who loved it. I personally find that it's the only Beefhart record I will still play (though not often).

• on safe as milk - also a HUGE fan of this one: