Is the era of club rap over?

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Not to say that id even mind if it was, but it seems to me that the days of the rap world revolving around what bangs in the club are numbered. Now im not even talking about record sales, cause we know those are over anyways, but it seems like people are either going straight at the radio or just saying fuck it entirely. Speaking as someone from hollywood, they dont really play rap in the club here at all anymore. and if we dont, im only guessing nyc hasnt been playing rap for at least 6 months or so. what do yall think?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Not to say that id even mind if it was, but it seems to me that the days of the rap world revolving around what bangs in the club are numbered. Now im not even talking about record sales, cause we know those are over anyways, but it seems like people are either going straight at the radio or just saying fuck it entirely.

Speaking as someone from hollywood, they dont really play rap in the club here at all anymore. and if we dont, im only guessing nyc hasnt been playing rap for at least 6 months or so.

what do yall think?

I think it's not the clurb if they don't play rap.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Not to say that id even mind if it was, but it seems to me that the days of the rap world revolving around what bangs in the club are numbered. Now im not even talking about record sales, cause we know those are over anyways, but it seems like people are either going straight at the radio or just saying fuck it entirely.

Speaking as someone from hollywood, they dont really play rap in the club here at all anymore. and if we dont, im only guessing nyc hasnt been playing rap for at least 6 months or so.

what do yall think?
    i think you go to the wrong clubs
    b/w
    blog house aint THAT popular

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    ummm..no.

crank that
    girls kiss girls
    baby bash
    t-pain
    fabolous
    freaky gurl
    etc
    etc
    etc

• see i always saw hollywood as more of a rock venue.

• i think you go to the wrong clubs

dude you go to clubs in hollywood

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    If I don't hear hip hop when I'm out at the club there better be some damn good funk happening.

• If I don't hear hip hop when I'm out at the club there better be some damn good funk happening.

I want to hear some damn good funk in the club but people laugh when I say it and just continue walking it out!, solja boying & cupid shuffle shitting.

• You dont have to worry about this down here. "Club rap" aint going anywhere 'round these parts.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

dude you go to clubs in hollywood

I guess i wasnt really talking about root down, or whatever "hip hop" events you frequent, im talking about capital mainstream wack ass clubs that used to be playing rap that arent now.

could be just hollywood i guess, but i dunno, i was just asking for peoples experiences

but also the fact that club hits used to equal sales. and now they dont.

• Its what clubs your goin to man. LA has tons of rap nights going. Just listen to 106.9 or whatever that station is and they'll point you to where the jiggy shit is.

what do yall think?

b/w
    blog house aint THAT popular

are you sure?

let me clarify, im not looking for a "jiggy night" in los angeles. Im saying that previously the force of major trends in rap music has been driven by what works in the clurb. I was wondering if yall still thought that to be the case?

• Sounds like you need a clurb sandwich.

• I think that Rap is merging with more and more dance sounds now than it ever has... that wierd trance keyboard sound keeps getting flipped and flipped. It just seems that rap made for dance is more popular than ever. I donno if thats what you meant by club rap... maybe you should define "club rap" for me. cause I think that like... lil john and soulja boy are club rap.

Im saying that previously the force of major trends in rap music has been driven by what works in the clurb.

True but there are other minor factors as well that help shape it. The Klurb isnt the only crowd that can "drive" a hit. Dance hit or non-dance hit.

Im saying that previously the force of major trends in rap music has been driven by what works in the clurb.

True but there are other minor factors as well that help shape it. The Klurb isnt the only crowd that can "drive" a hit. Dance hit or non-dance hit.

wow, that icrap dock is some next level shit.

but yeah, thats kinda what im getting at. Like, i dunno if the club or even the radio is gonna have as much of an effect on what people listen to while they are taking a shit.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I think that Rap is merging with more and more dance sounds now than it ever has... that wierd trance keyboard sound keeps getting flipped and flipped.

I mildly agree with this statement, except that I think the beats are getting more Terry Riley than trance.

I think that Rap is merging with more and more dance sounds now than it ever has... that wierd trance keyboard sound keeps getting flipped and flipped.

I mildly agree with this statement, except that I think the beats are getting more Terry Riley than trance.

Terry Riley?

Terry Riley?

Terry's Jam

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    but also the fact that club hits used to equal sales. and now they dont.
    sales drop is not related to it at all. thats just downloading straight up

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Yes, I know exactly what you mean... Shit isn't being played... Plus what is there to play? I just think there is a lot LESS to choose from - or am I just that disconnected. I know there's shit out, which i've copped but I just mean, I don't feel there is enough new music, dope new music, going around these days. If you are making reference to rap music from any era being played then I think that's another topic, cuz dudes be playing golden era, native tongue-ish all the time...

Plus what is there to play?

Wow

Wow

is hurricane chris that good to you or something?

Is there really an over-abundance of Frickin' amazing club rap songs that i am missing? Cause shit sounds played out to me. And i aint even one of those dudes.

hold up, is soulstrut Frickin' editing my cuss words now?

thats fuckin bullshit.

i did not say frickin', thats not even a word.

ill just have to leave off the g from now on i guess.

fuck.

So its just Frickin', but not fuck?

strange.

Wow

is hurricane chris that good to you or something?

Is there really an over-abundance of Frickin' amazing club rap songs that i am missing? Cause shit sounds played out to me. And i aint even one of those dudes.

U sound white