Led Zeppelin Survey

1235»

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Look, if I wanna hear heavy rock I'll take a real American group

What, like Kiss? A dude who rides for Kiss is criticising other people for having "bad taste"? Do me a favour.

... and if I wanna hear shire-folk, I'll listen to any number groups that actually do it well without the slick blues wailing. Led Zep brings together many gross things under one tidy banner. No wonder so many people with bad taste swear by them.

I recognise that not everyone's going to dig Zeppelin, and that's cool. It's just that, if people are going to dismiss them out of hand, I'd prefer to read a more well-constructed dismissal than "shire folk...[and] slick blues wailing...[brought together] under one tidy banner", because that shit is a massive over-simplification. If your so-called dissent does indeed stem from "having heard better rock music" and isn't just half-formed contrarianism, how about some actual examples of what this "better rock music" is? I mean, I'd be thrilled to hear of any band that did a better job of redefining the possibilities of hard rock, either before, during or after Zeppelin's period of activity. I doubt there are too many examples, personally, but you're welcome to school me if you feel you can.

• I could really give a shit about their popularity, perceived place in history, or played-out-ness. I listen to fairly commercial 70's rock... in fact, it's mostly what I listen to. I know that some of the people I'm disagreeing with here are well versed in this stuff and I will respectfully disagree and leave it at that. Others of you really have no idea what you're talking about. Carry on listening to Led Zep and Blue Oyster Cult or whatever. I can't help you.

come on, you can think of a worse band than BOC to lump zep in with to make them look bad!

If you think B.O.C. is bad rock music then you dont like 70s rock music. I dont trust anyones taste in rock music that bad mouths B.O.C.....the first three LPs are genius...lyrically and especially musicaly..."Dominance and Submission" "Hot Rails to Hell" "Citys on Flame with Rock and Roll" "Career of Evil": top shelf

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Look, if I wanna hear heavy rock I'll take a real American group

What, like Kiss? A dude who rides for Kiss is criticising other people for having "bad taste"? Do me a favour.

... and if I wanna hear shire-folk, I'll listen to any number groups that actually do it well without the slick blues wailing. Led Zep brings together many gross things under one tidy banner. No wonder so many people with bad taste swear by them.

I recognise that not everyone's going to dig Zeppelin, and that's cool. It's just that, if people are going to dismiss them out of hand, I'd prefer to read a more well-constructed dismissal than "shire folk...[and] slick blues wailing...[brought together] under one tidy banner", because that shit is a massive over-simplification. If your so-called dissent does indeed stem from "having heard better rock music" and isn't just half-formed contrarianism, how about some actual examples of what this "better rock music" is? I mean, I'd be thrilled to hear of any band that did a better job of redefining the possibilities of hard rock, either before, during or after Zeppelin's period of activity. I doubt there are too many examples, personally, but you're welcome to school me if you feel you can.

The simplest way I can put it is that if rock music is going to be dumb it needs to be REAL dumb... and if it's going to be arty or smart then it really needs to actually have something interesting and new to say. This is of course only my opinion and I know that many don't agree, but it should explain where I'm coming from to anyone who cares to understand. I'm not just bashing Zeppelin out of ignorance or to be some sort of iconoclast.

• I could really give a shit about their popularity, perceived place in history, or played-out-ness. I listen to fairly commercial 70's rock... in fact, it's mostly what I listen to. I know that some of the people I'm disagreeing with here are well versed in this stuff and I will respectfully disagree and leave it at that. Others of you really have no idea what you're talking about. Carry on listening to Led Zep and Blue Oyster Cult or whatever. I can't help you.

come on, you can think of a worse band than BOC to lump zep in with to make them look bad!

If you think B.O.C. is bad rock music then you dont like 70s rock music. I dont trust anyones taste in rock music that bad mouths B.O.C.....the first three LPs are genius...lyrically and especially musicaly..."Dominance and Submission" "Hot Rails to Hell" "Citys on Flame with Rock and Roll" "Career of Evil": top shelf

...which is exactly why i told him to pick another band

• IF ANY OF ZEPS FIRST FOUR RECORDS WERE PRIVATE PRESS YOU CHUMPS WOULD RIDE HARD. DEAL.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    IF ANY OF ZEPS FIRST FOUR RECORDS WERE PRIVATE PRESS YOU CHUMPS WOULD BE PAYING FOUR FIGURES FOR THEM[/b] . DEAL.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    IF ANY OF ZEPS FIRST FOUR RECORDS WERE PRIVATE PRESS
    I WOULD STILL HATE ROBERT PLANT'S VOICE. DEAL.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    IF ANY OF ZEPS FIRST FOUR RECORDS WERE PRIVATE PRESS YOU CHUMPS WOULD RIDE HARD. DEAL.

Why, because there's no such things as a shitty over-rated private record?

• pretty good Bonham imitation:

This is Adios Gringo, my buddies and partners in crime since we were 14...they are this strange combination of Slayer, Black Flag, Raymond Scott and I dont know what else...they sometimes play covers at the end of the show, and a lot of the time they are of the WTF variety? You cant be serious type of shit...thing is they dont tailor them to their style, they try and play them as faithful to the original as possible, every cymbal crash, every note in the guitar solo...they do a pretty good job, but here is the ending of "Stairway to Heaven"...keep in mind it is a mid-fi recording in a bar, but I think you can hear a better than average Bonham impersonation(the guitar solo is pretty spot on as well)

this got lost in the melee, and I checked it and no one has listened to it...not on the waaaaambulance, just got buried and I thought I would give it a bump...might be someone who will appreciate it as copying Bonham is not easy (also I wanted to point out it is only a snippet, I didnt post a 10 minute cover song)...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    IF ANY OF ZEPS FIRST FOUR RECORDS WERE PRIVATE PRESS YOU CHUMPS WOULD RIDE HARD. DEAL.

Why, because there's no such things as a shitty over-rated private record?

Not to you, there's not.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    this got lost in the melee, and I checked it and no one has listened to it...not on the waaaaambulance, just got buried and I thought I would give it a bump...might be someone who will appreciate it as copying Bonham is not easy (also I wanted to point out it is only a snippet, I didnt post a 10 minute cover song)...

The drums got lost too much guitar, and bad singing.

- spidey

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    pretty good Bonham imitation:

This is Adios Gringo, my buddies and partners in crime since we were 14...they are this strange combination of Slayer, Black Flag, Raymond Scott and I dont know what else...they sometimes play covers at the end of the show, and a lot of the time they are of the WTF variety? You cant be serious type of shit...thing is they dont tailor them to their style, they try and play them as faithful to the original as possible, every cymbal crash, every note in the guitar solo...they do a pretty good job, but here is the ending of "Stairway to Heaven"...keep in mind it is a mid-fi recording in a bar, but I think you can hear a better than average Bonham impersonation(the guitar solo is pretty spot on as well)

this got lost in the melee, and I checked it and no one has listened to it...not on the waaaaambulance, just got buried and I thought I would give it a bump...

Actually, it just means nobody has downloaded it, because
    I definitely listened to it yesterday.

It sounded like a good time, but that guy's vocals actually
    make me re-think my position on Robert Plant, after all ...

• yeah...like I said they are a black flag/slayer type of band...not a lot of vocals in the songs and when there are vocals it is screaming..thats what makes this so hilarious...but drummer got all the kick action down pat