Led Zeppelin Survey

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The Temple of the Dog of the 70's.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The Temple of the Dog of the 70's.

You say Tomato...

• its funny, on this other baord I post on, there are shit tons of garage rock dudes, real no-count lovers who just love shitty, badly recorded, inept rock bands and they, of course hate Led Zep...I love to tease them by saying "Jimmy Page is your GOD!" he invented garage rock(he was on practically every Decca beat single ever made, played the solos on all the early Kinks recrdings, was in the Yardbirds, etc), which is true and they hate hearing the truth and wont accept the fact he invented what they love so dearly.

its funny, on this other baord I post on, there are shit tons of garage rock dudes, real no-count lovers who just love shitty, badly recorded, inept rock bands and they, of course hate Led Zep...I love to tease them by saying "Jimmy Page is your GOD!" he invented garage rock(he was on practically every Decca beat single ever made, played the solos on all the early Kinks recrdings, was in the Yardbirds, etc), which is true and they hate hearing the truth and wont accept the fact he invented what they love so dearly.

It's true, and I love me some "Baby Please Don't Go" by Them
    and all the Donovan tracks he plays on, etc - but that doesn't
    really have anything to do with the bloated quasi-mystical excess
    of Led Zep ... for that matter, I don't hate all Zep songs and I
    definitely dig most of the backing tracks ... they are just way
    over-rated and Plant's voice and manner (and lyrics) can turn my
    stomach sometimes ...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    It's all about this mofo...

x 10[/b]

Definitely one of the Hardest drummers of all time.

Are there other members in Led Zeppelin? I don't hear them.

- spidey

My issue is that there are plenty of great hard rock bands to listen to from that era that are WAY less cheese than Zep. I will take the MC5 or Amboy Dukes or whatever any day over Zeppelin. I do not make the Pearl Jam analogy just because I don't like them... to me they sound phony and contrived in a very similar way. There is just no danger or menace in the way they rock.

There is just such danger and menace about the way they handle
    sharks and groupies.

• There is just no danger or menace in the way they rock.
    I dont necessarily agree with this, we cant hear it with 1970 ears, ya know...this is amusing:

My issue is that there are plenty of great hard rock bands to listen to from that era that are WAY less cheese than Zep. I will take the MC5 or Amboy Dukes or whatever any day over Zeppelin. I do not make the Pearl Jam analogy just because I don't like them... to me they sound phony and contrived in a very similar way. There is just no danger or menace in the way they rock.

Your out of your mind with that one crinky. Amboy Dukes? Pearl Jam?

Maybe your ears are broken.

- spidey

• My issue is that there are plenty of great hard rock bands to listen to from that era that are WAY less cheese than Zep. I will take the MC5 or Amboy Dukes or whatever any day over Zeppelin. I do not make the Pearl Jam analogy just because I don't like them... to me they sound phony and contrived in a very similar way. There is just no danger or menace in the way they rock.

Your out of your mind with that one crinky. Amboy Dukes? Pearl Jam?

Maybe your ears are broken.

- spidey

Yeah Je**. I ride for the MC5 as hard as anyone, but the Amboy Dukes? Even the later stuff where they were pretty much morphing into the Ted Nugent show can't approach Zep.
    I think one of the problems is that Zep have been classed by a lot of people as a "heavy" band, when in fact they were more like an art rock band with folk/blues roots.

art rock band

I don't see anything arty about them. They are basically a tepid amalgam of what a lot of bands do better. They don't rock that hard, and they do not pull off convincing wizard moves. Are they good musicians? Sure... but so are a lot of people. They are honestly just not very intersting all things considered. And I am not just being a snob. I like Frickin' KISS and shit.

• Despite the fact that every rock station in the country plays the same ten led zeppelin songs every day, the fact that they "borrowed" a lot of rhythms from artists whom they did not credit, and that they are wayyyy overrated, I still like led zeppelin for what it is. Especially the pure scandinavian flavored prog stuff that gets no love like achilles last stand. I also like their bert jansch-jacked acoustic numbers like "bron yr aur" and "the rain song".

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Aren't some of these complaints tied to oversaturation? I could live happily w/o hearing most Led Zep songs again, but some of em used to give me chills.

Aren't some of these complaints tied to oversaturation?

Actually, most of the well thought out Zeppelin dissent I've read/heard seems to stem from having heard better rock music.

• art rock band

I don't see anything arty about them. They are basically a tepid amalgam of what a lot of bands do better. They don't rock that hard, and they do not pull off convincing wizard moves. Are they good musicians? Sure... but so are a lot of people. They are honestly just not very intersting all things considered. And I am not just being a snob. I like Frickin' KISS and shit.

----- Just for that I'm changing my location....

• Man, y'all, what's Crink gonna do when he's down to one record left in the world that he likes? I hear he's already down to just 8.

This thread is bi-annual. I think you can make a really strong 80 minute mix of prime Zep shit and that's about all you need and you listen to it *maybe* three times in a year.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Aren't some of these complaints tied to oversaturation?

Actually, most of the well thought out Zeppelin dissent I've read/heard seems to stem from having heard better rock music.

Yeah, I have expressed mixed feelings about them in this thread as well, and there are dozens if not hundreds of rock groups from the same era I'd rank higher than them. But bands like Led Zep, Who, Rolling Stones etc get played so much they've become sonic wallpaper and it takes work to try to come to them with fresh ears.

art rock band

Kiss? I think whats tepid is your taste homie. Mad snobby.

- spidey

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I'd like to hear what you guys think about this guy:

- spidey

Solid band that needs to calm the f*ck down and not all play at once. Turn your amps down, damnit. The lead singer is horrible.

At The Drive In > Mars Volta

art rock band

- spidey

Or, it could just be that you like mediocre pretentious music.

Solid band that needs to calm the f*ck down and not all play at once. Turn your amps down, damnit. The lead singer is horrible.

At The Drive In > Mars Volta

I believe Deloused sons everything ATDI ever did. That's me though.

- spidey

• art rock band

- spidey

Yes...mediocre non-pretentious music is much better...

Bonus points for that raccoon on his head

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    As a child of the 70's, each of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd RULES!!!

And there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that anyone can say in 2007 to change that.

Yes...mediocre non-pretentious music is much better...

The funny thing is I know you're just teasing, but I honestly totally agree with this.

• Yes...mediocre non-pretentious music is much better...

The funny thing is I know you're just teasing, but I honestly totally agree with this.

Of course you're right, and oddly enough, in most cases I agree with you.

- spidey

Way to zing me one there Pee Wee Herman.

So can I ask this: Why is it that most Zeppelin supremacists rarely have a deeper argument than "LED ZEP HELLA ROCKED MY FRAT PARTIES BACK IN THE DAY AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE EM YOU SUCK"? Are we arguing sports here? Care to make any interesting or insightful points for your team?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Saw Zep on their first U.S. Tour and about 12 times total.

The highlight of their show, and in my opinion their entire catalog, is the acoustic stuff.

The live show was very formulated and concise...right down to the length of Bonzo's drum solo which I timed three nights in a row at MSG and they were within 10 seconds of each other.

A lot of their music is overplayed and sounds dated in 2007.

But circa 1969 there wasn't a whole lotta stuff better in the hard rock world.

And while I'm a big Bonham fan, the most powerful rock drummer of the era was this dude.

- spidey

Way to zing me one there Pee Wee Herman.

So can I ask this: Why is it that most Zeppelin supremacists rarely have a deeper argument than "LED ZEP HELLA ROCKED MY FRAT PARTIES BACK IN THE DAY AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE EM YOU SUCK"? Are we arguing sports here? Care to make any interesting or insightful points for your team?

Frat parties???

I never got the impression that many die-hard Led Zep fans from back in the day had any plans of attending college. Unless maybe there's a college out there that specializes in the art of hotboxing a van that doubles as your home.

I never got the impression that many die-hard Led Zep fans from back in the day had any plans of attending college.

How many dudes posting on this thread aside from Rich were around "back in the day"?

I never got the impression that many die-hard Led Zep fans from back in the day had any plans of attending college.

How many dudes posting on this thread aside from Rich were around "back in the day"?

Maye I was mad young hanging out with friends' older brothers and my babysitters and shit, but...*raises hand*