Led Zeppelin Survey

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
OK... They have a new XM channel that's all Led Zeppelin 24/7. I listened to it for a little bit and quickly realized Zep would have been much better as an instrumental band. Case in point : Nobody's Fault But Mine. Killer music with annoying singing. Mr. Plant is constantly screwing up all kinds of genius music with his pompus psudo-scat pouting baby hippie routine.Yes or No???Roger Daltry > Robert Plant (yea, I said it!)

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I'll take Daltry in the 60s over Plant in the 70s. And I'm not a big Who fan. But there are definitely some Led Zep songs where everybody brought their A-game, like When the Levee Breaks.

• Robert Plant is clearly one of the best rock singers ever.

I shake my head.

• i ride for the wholistic led zepplin.
    dont try to pick at the parts...shit aint sweet

• Yeah, I grew up on Zep as my ol' man was a big fan...I take 'em like they are, I ain't mad at Rob P.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Robert Plant is clearly the most annoying rock singer ever.

I cover my ears.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    pompus psudo-scat pouting baby hippie routine.

wow

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'd like to hear what you guys think about this guy:

- spidey

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I'd like to hear what you guys think about this guy:

- spidey

That's dude from the Mars Volta/At The Drive-In, right? I think he's alright. Mars Volta does a pretty good job of channelling classic 70's rock/prog/jazz fusion - pretentious-sounding, long-winded titles and all - and they can play like motherfuckers. I saw them in London a couple of years ago, and only the crummy sound stopped it from being a full-on experience. They had some Anticon dude DJing as warm-up rather than an opening act, and that wasn't anything like the ordeal I expected either.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Plant is the WORST. I don't really ride for zep.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    zeps not my favorite band in the world, but i have no problem with the vocals. solid stuff in my opinion.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Robert Plant is clearly the most annoying rock singer ever.

I cover my ears.

yup

i was always a jack bruce man myself...

i can understand when chicks dig R.Plant, as he puts on a super corny rock star sex god thing, but when dudes ride for him i get confused... i mean, you dig hearing him yowl like a Frickin' cat with its balls in a blender? seriously?

• definitely.

• you dig hearing him yowl like a Frickin' cat with its balls in a blender? seriously?

yes, very much so.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    not liking Robert Plant / Zeppelin is akin to not liking fun.

People take their Led Zep very seriously.

It's fun to watch them get asshurt when you
    point out how freaking annoying Zeppelin truly are.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts

It's fun to watch them get asshurt when you
    point out how freaking annoying Zeppelin truly are.

why are you deaf??

nahhh just kidding. I guess that I always thought they were a great band, even if they were beyond famous. Insanely good playing, great Vocals from Percy, stunning arrangements. To each their own I suppose, but damn I love me some Zeppelin.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

Indeed so. They're a decent rock 'n roll band, not more. I can't remeber the last time one of their albums left the shelf.

Also, some people have the nerve to compare them to Sabbath. That's comparing ants with demigods. You're bringing a knife (Zep II) to a gunfight (Paranoid).

Anybody who needs evidence of the horrors of Led Zep
    need only listen to the OST of The Song Remains the Same.

My God, what a mess.

"DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER LAUGHTER?"

• It's all about this mofo...

x 10[/b]

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    "DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER LAUGHTER?"

I ride for Zep, but there's no denying the corniness of that line. And apparently, he's been repeating it during every performance of Stairway to Heaven for three decades.

• Roger Daltry > Robert Plant (yea, I said it!)

of course, no brainer. Daltry has a better voice and better stage presence than Plant. In Fact, The Who kills Led Zeppelin in the live performance department. but Zeppelin as a whole is fine with me. Plant is the weakest of the 4. His vocals bug me too sometimes, especially when he sounds like a banshee or says "oh mah jeeeeezuz" over and over, but it doesn't spoil most songs i love. i hated his vocals growing up actually, then it stopped bothering me by way of attrition. i put Marc Bolan in the same category. i'm not in the "Zeppelin is the GOAT" camp, but i love some of their songs a lot. i understand the hatt though.

• I PUT THESE GUYS NEXT TO STAR TREK, DYLAN, AND THE BEATLES

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It's all about this mofo...

x 10[/b]

Yes, but is he >

I get why the question is asked but can't say they're comparable in terms of listening - I mean it's not like if I feel like hearing Led Zeppelin, which I do now and then, and I can't find the record, I'll go for The Who instead, you know?

I'd rather spend an hour with Daltry than Plant, though, that is for sure.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I PUT THESE GUYS NEXT TO STAR TREK, DYLAN, AND THE BEATLES

^^^REACTIONARY PRIVATE MIND DRIVEL^^^

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    It's all about this mofo...

x 10[/b]

Yes, but is he >

I get why the question is asked but can't say they're comparable in terms of listening - I mean it's not like if I feel like hearing Led Zeppelin, which I do now and then, and I can't find the record, I'll go for The Who instead, you know?

There's no question to my mind that Bonham's drum sound sometimes attains an unmuddy hammer-of-Thor heaviness that few have fricked with before or since. I wonder how much of that is his skills and how much is production? I haven't bothered with any Led Zep live documents to see how he held up, but I hear they're all pretty sloppy live...

• It's all about this mofo...

x 10[/b]

Yes, but is he >

I'd place Bonham light years ahead of Moon, on all counts. Give Led Zep a good listen on the headphones and focus in on the drums. Bonham was doing things with syncopation (often approaching funk) and had an economy that was sorely lacking in his contemporaries.
    Back when I was 16 or 17, and playing in bands - often trying to play Zep tunes - I was struck by how often I was tempted to overplay. When I went back to listen to some of those songs (esp 'Rock'n'Roll'), I was stunned by how little Bonham was playing, yet how meaningful it was in a timekeeping sense.
    I wouldn't attribute his power to production either. There's a clip of them plying live on Swedish (I think) Tv in 1969 where he is positively explosive.

• DO YOU REMEMBER LAUGHTER

Im thinkin Plant was cracking up on the inside when he said this...if you check out that live DVD set, Plant says some Frickin' hilarious shit in those shows(second only to Hendrix in this department)...dude knew the score, he has/had a very good sense of humor about the whole thing Im thinking...

one of my favorite Plant stage banters was before Moby Dick one time (cant find it on you tube) "this tune features Mr. John Bonham,the tamborine player on "The Battle of Evermore"...nerdy Zep humor, but cracks me up.

I heart Zeppelin.

P.S. Physical Graffiti is best sounding rock LP, evar. A prefect recording, the watermark that all rock LPs should aspire to sonically.

• P.S. Physical Graffiti is best sounding rock LP, evar. A prefect recording, the watermark that all rock LPs should aspire to sonically.

Good God, yes. I don't know shit about recording and techniques but to my ear it sounded like the blueprint for Albini's recording style.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    you jerky haters.
    if i wasnt so sick of led zeppelin i would be getting reeeallly angry right now.

how about them releasing ANOTHER hit compilation? milk that shit.

i will however make a list of lz songs that will always have a plot in my private mind garden (i like slow music):

ten years gone
    down by the seaside
    tangerine
    thank you
    rain song
    all of my love
    you're time is gonna come
    going to ca

among a few others.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The Pearl Jam of the 70's.