Hamburg, Germany

DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I'm considering applying for a job based in Hamburg. I've never been there, my German experience consists of a couple of weeks in Berlin (which i loved), that's it.Who's been there? Who's from there? Who knows anything? Culture, nightlife, diggin', housing market, public transport, drinking, anything??? or

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Next to Berlin, one of the finest cities in Germany. But totally different. You will like it there. Some really good record shops, a strong music scene of all sorts, lots of water, good clubs and the occasional flea market. Plus, nice people.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I'm considering applying for a job based in Hamburg. I've never been there, my German experience consists of a couple of weeks in Berlin (which i loved), that's it.

Who's been there? Who's from there? Who knows anything?

Culture, nightlife, diggin', housing market, public transport, drinking, anything???

or

Cosign on perfect german city. Check out PLEMO while you are there, dude wears bat wings and michael jackson glove!

http://www.plemo.com/

When i saw them in heidelberg they wear singing a song in german and this girl was loosely translating for us and she said "they are singing a song about how larger birds capture and kill smaller birds" tough stuff!

• "they are singing a song about how larger birds capture and kill smaller birds" tough stuff!

i'm sold.

• Hey Boris,

what kind of job are you applying for?

I've been born and raised here in Hamburg. If you have any special questions don't be scared to throw me a PM or just ask here.

General Stuff: Hamburg is friken freeezin. Bring all Sweaters, Beanies, North Face Jackets....I remember having Friends from LA over. They almost died
    Once you make it through the dark and icy winter Hamburg is beautifull and also pretty small. Some might see this as a disadvantage, however to me its great. You can get almost anywhwere with the U- or S-Bahn (Tube). A Months Ticket is around 65 euros if you apply for one year. If you live close center which is almost anywhere you can get into the city in under 15-20 minutes. There are alot of nice places to visit and take long walks. Hafen-City/Speicherstadt for example is the old Storage Housing areas for the Ships that come into the Harbour. Very nice buildings and lots of Bridges. Did I mention Hamburg has more Bridges than Venice? No Joke. Further on you have the Altstadt, in Summer you can take a trip to our "nordic beach" which is basicly just for getting a tan and layin in the Sand. I doubt you would want to swim here. Esp if you come from the southern hemisphere
    Oh, I almost forgot the Alster. The city is accompanied by a huge Lake that has hundreds of channels bringing you all around the town (similar to Amsterdam). There is a inner and outer Part of the Lake. There is a huge park near the Au??enalster. Most people hang out there in Summer to BBQ, get drunk, Picknik, bust mediocre freestyles, whatever. Generally Hamburg is a very very green city. We have loads of Parks and greenage around all the streets. So if you dont arrive here in Winter you should be suprised by how much trees there are.

Housing Market: Depends. Hamburg is known to be about 1/3 to 1/2 more expensive than Berlin. However there are many cool areas where you can get nice small place near the bars and nightlife! Try for Feldstra??e/St.Pauli which is very close to the world famous Reeperbahn. If you leave the center and go further out it gets alot cheaper but traffic and also the dullness might kill you.

Digging: There are a not many perhaps 3 stores I goto regularily. Don't expect anything near US prices. Pretty much like Berlin, just even more exepsive
    If you work on some contacts there are also some private dealers which have better stuff and/or prices. Hello La*s Bu*lenh**m!!!

Drinking: There are a few areas packed with bars. You'll find any kind of bar here.
    Drity old rotten comfy bar. Snobby all white gay metro bar. Needle in the arm on the toilet with a tablefussball bar. Nice and boring bar. 99 cent bar. you name it.
    Hamburg is a harbour city and also member of the Hansa which was established ages go for Trade with other big harbours or trading cities like L??beck, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, etc. Now what would a bunch of sailors do, if not working. Exactly get hammered. Prices vary and really depend how established and snobby a place is.
    To me the location and vibe are most important characteristics when choosing a boozeplace. First places coming to mind: Reeperbahn (d'uh), (Stern-)schanze (hipster, ad scene area), also lots of bars around all the central living areas. Let me just say this. youll never run out of bars or booze here before you run out of money.

Culture: There is lots of everything. There is a huge street art/graffity scene as well as classic art. Loads of Cinemas (I'm showing a random picked series of Exploitation flicks at a small dump-cinema running every odd month, drop me a PM if you wanna come). Museums, Opera of course, ummmm Theatre...we get alot of concerts, indie as big. Also we have 2! big arcade houses on the Reeperbahn if perhaps this is your type of culture.

Other than that, there are Parties of all kinds every weekend and during the week also, we have loads of Hookers and a couple strip bars. Yes we also have Hookers walking the line on the opposite side of the street of the police station.

Oh yea, we have alot of commercial Shopping malls and strips. More on the posh side. If you're looking for cool indy stuff try Marktstra??e (Karoviertel) or Sternschanze.

I think thats it for starters.

• wow! indeed. thanks man.

It's media industry job i'm going for. Don't know how much chance of getting it i am, but nice to know a little about what i might be getting myself into!

Sounds like a city i could really get into. The weather isn't a worry, i spent a winter in siberia not long ago, minus 35 degrees anyone?

it's all pretty exciting really, i think i'm probably getting my hopes up though.

I'll keep you posted on if i get the job.

peace.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Hamburg is ten times better than Berlin! Move there!

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

"hamburg is berlin without the hipsters"

• "hamburg is berlin without the hipsters"

You just dont know where to look for them...

"hamburg is like amsterdam without the weed and grachten"

Media stuff huh?

I work at a mediaproduktion agency myself. Basicly Photoshop. Preprint stuff some Indesign and Illustrator too.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

You just dont know where to look for them...

yes, it`s not like they jump in your face on every streetcorner.

• Panorama of the "inner" Alster inside the city.

• Personaly I dont think that the party scene here is so great, but its not so much about the artist that come here, the promoters in Hamburg or the venues in it self, all that is GREAT !

Its the audience which sucks here in Hamburg.

It seems that a lot of people are oversaturated and cant have any more emotions.
    !!

Whatever, if you wanna know whats up in Hamburg check for www.hamburgfunk.de its in German but you will be able to read Party location names and dates.

He got all the important stuff up there which could be interessting to a Soulstrut member.

Peace

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

However, Hamburg is actually great as others have already mentioned.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    My girlfriend had this to say about Hamburg when I asked her

"Hamburg is a great city, not quite as wild as Berlin but there is a good scene there. The poster on our record room is from one of their regular soul/60ies nights at the reeperbahn (Spellbound). The best way to find out about soul music scene is probably to connect up with a scooter club in the area. I'm a member of the St.Pauli one and am happy to Google when I get a chance to find out their recent contacts. Also, my DJ friend Bio lives there. She is a good contact to get going and I am happy to pass contact details on to her if they wants me to.
    I wanted to move there at some point and even owned a flat there, which I sold when I moved here instead. It's one of my favourite cities in Germany."