Non-Leather Non-Sweatshop (Non-RR) Shoes?

onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I'm trying to find a durable, comfortable, non-fugly shoe that is non-leather and verifiably non-sweatshop. I've bought a lot of pairs from the brand called Vegetarian Shoes and while they were incredibly comfortable and looked okay, durability was next to nil... most of the pairs had cracks or holes in the heel w/in a few months, and at $125+ per that's not making the grade.Definitely don't want to support Payless for all the obvious reasons on top of the possibility that their shoes are made by 10-year-old girls in SE Asia. Prefer an independent, progressive, high-quality company but would go with a major brand if I could buy with confidence that the shoes weren't sweatshop produced.A lot of you seem to know a lot about footwear. Any brands you've personally tried that you were pleased with?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Check these - the second site has some decent looking shoes for women, but I am not sure what you're looking for:

http://www.veganpeace.com/sweatshops/categories/shoes.htm

http://www.alternativeoutfitters.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=76

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Thanks, I'll look into them. I take it you haven't bought any yourself? I'm mostly just looking for a durable pair of sneakers that won't make me look like a total scrub. Some boots would be nice, too.

No, unless I've tried on a pair and know what my size is for a particular brand, I don't take the risk of ordering shoes or clothes online. Which is too bad cause I really like those gray slouch boots on the AO site.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I used to work at Mountain Equipment Coop in Toronto years ago and there was an eternal and eternally amusing debate about vegan shoes. Vegans would say "leather is bad"; environmentalists would say "leather has less of an ecological footprint that oil-based materials". Feelings would be hurt and friends became enemies.

The environmentalists convinced me. I think buying vegan shoes is missing the forest for the trees.

I used to work at Mountain Equipment Coop in Toronto years ago and there was an eternal and eternally amusing debate about vegan shoes. Vegans would say "leather is bad"; environmentalists would say "leather has less of an ecological footprint that oil-based materials". Feelings would be hurt and friends became enemies.

The environmentalists convinced me. I think buying vegan shoes is missing the forest for the trees.

Don't most leather shoes also have oil-based materials?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'm trying to find a durable, comfortable, non-fugly shoe that is non-leather and verifiably non-sweatshop.

I think the abuse of animals and death rates of more "exotic" leather producing animals also has a negative ecological impact. It's not an easy answer and too bad it's a lesser of two evils situation. I would also say the number of vegan shoes being produced compared to other industries that are destroying the environemnt is rather small. And then there are all those plastic sneakers and flip flops and crocs and plastic bags and...

There this cat who designs sneakers made from rare Unicorn Bone thats super-durable. The cushioning system is rumoured to be similar to clouds.

While I'm aware of the ecological impact issues, I've already decided that I prefer to buy non-leather shoes. I'm just looking for a good, durable pair -- if they exist.

Obviously, I'd be doing the wrong thing by the environment to continue to buy synthetic shoes that need to get thrown out every 6 months. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

While I'm aware of the ecological impact issues, I've already decided that I prefer to buy non-leather shoes. I'm just looking for a good, durable pair -- if they exist.

Obviously, I'd be doing the wrong thing by the environment to continue to buy synthetic shoes that need to get thrown out every 6 months. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

Why not cop more than two pairs of kicks. you can rotate them throughout the week, which will prevent wear and tear.......preventing u from littering.

Why not cop more than two pairs of kicks. you can rotate them throughout the week, which will prevent wear and tear.......preventing u from littering.

Yes, will gladly do this when I find brand(s) that are worth the $$$.

Probably not the answer he's looking for but it's true!! I am still wearing shoes from 8yrs ago cause they're in the mix with about (undisclosed amount) others and in great shape.

Good luch in finding a "Brand". What ur lookin for probably isnt in any sneaker store.

I am still wearing shoes from 8yrs ago cause they're in the mix with about (undisclosed amount) others and in great shape.

Good luch in finding a "Brand". What ur lookin for probably isnt in any sneaker store.

There are some stores that specialize in this sort of thing -- Left Feet in Toronto and one in Rockville outside DC whose name I'm blanking on. And each does carry mutliple companies' wares. But either I've had bad luck with them or nobody's figured out how to make a quality non-leather shoe yet.

I am still wearing shoes from 8yrs ago cause they're in the mix with about (undisclosed amount) others and in great shape.

Cripes. If you see me in these - you know I've lost my mind (and eyesight).

• veja fair trade brazillian sneakers

• There this cat who designs sneakers made from rare Unicorn Bone thats super-durable. The cushioning system is rumoured to be similar to clouds.

that is only true if you get it with the baby deer genital-fur lining...which gives you that heaven on air, walking on sunshine feeling...

I know my girl knows some websites/spots that have good vegan shoe options...but, she's not home right now.....so........I'm currently not much help.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I'm trying to find a durable, comfortable, non-fugly shoe that is non-leather and verifiably non-sweatshop.

forgot the non-fugly part...

Cripes. If you see me in these - you know I've lost my mind (and eyesight).

yeah, ya'll are focusing on the vegetarian aspect of my request and not honoring the non-sweatshop, non-ugly and durable aspects.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    My girl says check these out

http://www.tomsshoes.com/

- spidey

yeah, ya'll are focusing on the vegetarian aspect of my request and not honoring the non-sweatshop, non-ugly and durable aspects.

Seriously.

Durable - meaning more than one year.
    Non-Ugly.......well im sure you wont be winning any fashion awards in this area.
    Non-Sweat shop...........every company capitalizes form someones sweat.

One you find them...post some pics or ur soft.

:5pager:

Seriously.

Durable - meaning more than one year.
    Non-Ugly.......well im sure you wont be winning any fashion awards in this area.
    Non-Sweat shop...........every company capitalizes form someones sweat.

One you find them...post some pics or ur soft.

The company I was buying from, Vegetarian Shoes, might not "win any fashion awards," but their shoes look decent.

http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/c-6-mens-shoes.aspx
    http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/c-18-sportscasual.aspx

I just wasn't happy with how long they lasted. A year would be a major improvement.

Is it assumed that if it's made in the US, it's non-sweatshop?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

I like my TOMS, I was going to recommend them. I have multiple pairs, so I don't wear them daily--and its way too cold ot be wearing them now--but they seem to be wearing surprisignly well. I'm not sure of the specifics on simple shoes (they're an eco-conscious brand) , but you might to check them out. It's probably just simpleshoes.com. Nike has some shoes made from renewable resources, but I'm not sure about their sweatshop status. If you have the loot you can always go for high-end designer sneakers that are canvas, as many of them are manufactured in Europe.

Batmon is lurking in here like a troll looking for doodie stew, so be careful what pictures you post or he'll be rocking the caca toof while telling you that you are not qualified to be knowin bout sneakers on soulstrut.

Is it assumed that if it's made in the US, it's non-sweatshop?

I wish this was a safe assumption, but naw.

I like my TOMS, I was going to recommend them. I have multiple pairs, so I don't wear them daily--and its way too cold ot be wearing them now--but they seem to be wearing surprisignly well. I'm not sure of the specifics on simple shoes (they're an eco-conscious brand) , but you might to check them out. It's probably just simpleshoes.com. Nike has some shoes made from renewable resources, but I'm not sure about their sweatshop status. If you have the loot you can always go for high-end designer sneakers that are canvas, as many of them are manufactured in Europe.

Thanks for the thoughts, and also crashcourse, malus and bassie.

Batmon is lurking in here like a troll looking for doodie stew, so be careful what pictures you post or he'll be rocking the caca toof while telling you that you are not qualified to be knowin bout sneakers on soulstrut.

Yeah, I'm not planning on posting any pictures of myself in this thread; I had my fill of people picking fights over shoes in middle school.