Mick Jagger, Fran??ois K, & Arthur Baker

TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I ran across a couple 12 inches from this albumBoth of them said remix by Fran??ois K & Additional Production by Arthur Baker. From 1985. I was curious but not curious enough to spend $4 on each record. 1985 was the year i think the same year as Baker's "Dancing In The Dark Remix" (which i am a fan of). And I'm also a big fan of Francois K's production/remix work in general.Does anyone know anything about these remixes and how they are? convince me to run back to the record store and cop that disc.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    No. That record is terrible.

• No. That record is terrible.

yeah but if the remix has a good beat, even the "dub" version. forget the LP i just want to know about the singles.

Pouring syrup on shit don't make it pancakes.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Turd.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

He's looking for something completely different, though.

He made that pretty clear - a remix 12" can sound nothing like the
    OG track and have an instrumental of said track, thus removing
    Jagger's original work from the equation completely.

Still, I say not paying $3.99 to find out is being pretty cheap,
    since you have 2 good reasons that you might like it.

Gotta take a chance sometimes, right?

I was kinda being a dick, but I can't think of a garbage tune that was shined up so nice on 12" that it was miraculously dope in the rock vein. There needs to be "something to go on." Jagger's solo just seems like nothing to go on.

• i know i was being cheap...when i just saw 1 single i was all ready to put down the 3.99, but I didn't want to put down 7.98 and i didn't want to choose. i figured "i'll just make a post titled "Mick Jagger, Fran??ois K, & Arthur Baker" and hopefully someone on soul strut will have heard that record.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i know i was being cheap...when i just saw 1 single i was all ready to put down the 3.99, but I didn't want to put down 7.98 and i didn't want to choose. i figured "i'll just make a post titled "Mick Jagger, Fran??ois K, & Arthur Baker" and hopefully someone on soul strut will have heard that record.

i'm with this guy...

any francois k or arthur baker fans wanna shine a light?

paging crazypoprock...

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The LP is definately a turd, but "Lucky in Love" is ok. It always gets cited as one of the quintessential Larry Levan/Garage tracks, which is what brought it to my attention in the first place. While the track is by no means a sure shot, I must say that I can see how it would have fit in nicely with Levan's set. It's got a unique low-bpm dance groove, some gay-friendly Mick Jagger swagger, and the hook is catchy. That said, I think it's more a testament to Levan's skill as a DJ and tastemaker that this track survived at all. This is one of those tracks, I think, where the context makes the song.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    1985 was the year i think the same year as Baker's "Dancing In The Dark Remix" (which i am a fan of).

Plaese to post an MP3.

• 1985 was the year i think the same year as Baker's "Dancing In The Dark Remix" (which i am a fan of).

Plaese to post an MP3.

with pleasure

dancing in the dark arthur baker blaster mix.mp3 - 7.07MB

and i really am not into making stereotypical statements, but this track always goes over real big with lesbian audiences

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    1985 was the year i think the same year as Baker's "Dancing In The Dark Remix" (which i am a fan of).

Plaese to post an MP3.

with pleasure

and i really am not into making stereotypical statements, but this track always goes over real big with lesbian audiences

Thanks!

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

Plaese to post an MP3.

with pleasure

I was really hoping this was going to be an Arthur Baker mix of Mike Maureen's track...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    this is a weak attitude. there are gems in the shit all the time. lots of weak tracks are improved by solid remixes. wack artists have good songs.

It works for hip hop cuz you can change the whole song on the remix, there's only so much you can do with a lousy rock song til it becomes a different song entirely.

• "lucky in love" is a loft classic...i heard mancuso play it a few months back...sounded amazing on his system. i'd recommend the 12"s for "lucky in love" and "just another night"...although it's definitely not for everybody

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    hmmm 1985 is past prime fer the doods involved IMO

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    paging crazypoprock...
    "lucky in love" is a loft classic...i heard mancuso play it a few months back...sounded amazing on his system. i'd recommend the 12"s for "lucky in love" and "just another night"...although it's definitely not for everybody

[color:red] (page me) [/color]
    JRoot

• "lucky in love" is a loft classic...i heard mancuso play it a few months back...sounded amazing on his system. i'd recommend the 12"s for "lucky in love" and "just another night"...although it's definitely not for everybody

ahh, not for everyone sounds like i'd be into it...should have bought those records, they looked unplayed

i might have to get those myself, unless a strutter wants to give em up cheaper