Music you don't like... but might down the road.

meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Ok, I know this might offend alot of you all, but theres alot of genres I just can't dig anymore. One of em is jazz. yeah, I buy jazz records here and there if they look weird enough, but for the most part, I can't sit down and listen to jazz records any more. Especially straight jazz.... zzzzzzz. I have DJ'd and played loud drums for too long with loud ass moniters in my ears, and I can't feel anything but loud or "heavy" music anymore. I need the fuggin fuzzed out hard drum funk or some sweet soul that makes ya wanna drop to your knees or some shredding face melting guitar solos to make me feel the weenis again. Classical aint doin it for me, Jazz aint doin it for me, Electronic droning aint doing it for me, but miraculously, alot of "Folk" and "Ethnic" records are doing it for me. Chicano Rock is my shit right now, Ethnic chanting is my shit right now, Hard african American funk will always be my shit right now. I know some of yall feel me on here...

HOPEFULLY, I'll be able to get into jazz and the like down the road again.

p.s. : PBR is a hell of a drug.

Comments

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    My curiousity has been growing with house and broken beat.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    same here... living in Chi makes you curious about house. Theres alot of shit to go through though. I listened to like 300 house records one day and found 3 12"s I actually liked.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

no cypher would be complete without it

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I'm not the jazz freak I was but I can still get into it. Pretty much everything from '90-'05 hasn't done it for me. Alternative music, what ever. Depends on your deffinition I guess. I like Butthole Surfers and Mudhoney, and a couple others but most of it is just not my bag. Pop punk, blech!!! 80's music????? I didn't listen to it in the 80's. Dance music.....fine if your on X and want to dance. Not me. I've always been into old soul and nothing much else has caught my attenion except hip hop.

Plenty of stuff was cool when it ws new. Like Napalm Death and a few others, but now everyone is doing the growl vocal and it's boring.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    trance [color:white]kidding! [/color]
    i got into this bugz in the attic mix (i think it was a fabric live thing) which seemed to be house from my bad genre definition self, but i really do not like too much of the other house stuff i've heard.

CAJUAL is dope. check is SP 1200 beats out. You might start to like house after that.... but then get disappointed that there aint alot of house like that out there.

• Options
    CAJUAL is dope. check is SP 1200 beats out. You might start to like house after that.... but then get disappointed that there aint alot of house like that out there.

Dude has some aliases too, like a lot of house producers. Check for Green Velvet and Cajmere too, same guy. Has a lot of classics under his belt.

**Edit** my first music-related post in months!!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I've been kinda shy about telling people this but I've been starting to get into this early 80's soul funk sound. I've heard people call it modern soul but I like to think of it as happy jheri curl rock. Anybody got any recommendations?

Not feeling the Bolero stuff the way I used to. There was a time when I could throw on a Las Pasteles Verdes LP smoke a bowl and just chill real happy like...that time is gone

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    i got into this bugz in the attic mix (i think it was a fabric live thing) which seemed to be house from my bad genre definition self, but i really do not like too much of the other house stuff i've heard.

that fits into the west london broken beat/nu jazz scene.........

if you dudes are curious about this stuff, I highly recommed Jazztronik (Ryota Nozaki) from JPN. One of the best musical talents out there right now.

that fits into the west london broken beat/nu jazz scene.........

if you dudes are curious about this stuff, I highly recommed Jazztronik (Ryota Nozaki) from JPN. One of the best musical talents out there right now.

whoa...... Aser????? talk about lurkin'.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The thing I like about my jazz action is that I have eventually liked almost every type of jazz I once hated - I buy shit now I would never have considered 10 years ago when I was buying hard bop and west coast, which I didn't even think about 5 years before that when I was into swing and Fletcher Henderson.

If my 23-year-old self saw me buying Chase records or some CTI ARP-fest shit, I would gave slapped the shit out of me.

But it rules, because I still like everything I did before - I just like new styles, too.

Oh, and when I was a teenager, I would always say, "I like every kind of music except country," which was a pretty ghey thing to say in the first place, but when I was around 18 I saw "The Last Picture Show," and it had all those OG Hank Williams songs playing through every scene - I was buying some beat up old "Cold, Cold Heart" greatest hits LP the next day.

Oh, and when I was a teenager, I would always say, "I like every kind of music except country," which was a pretty ghey thing to say in the first place, but when I was around 18 I saw "The Last Picture Show," and it had all those OG Hank Williams songs playing through every scene - I was buying some beat up old "Cold, Cold Heart" greatest hits LP the next day.

Thing thing I always said was NEW country. I grew up with the old stuff and it's great. But once Garth Brokks and all that crap took over country music died. It's like most musical forms it's just a hodge podge of everything. You think Hank would have swung on stage on a rope while fireworks went off? Hell no!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ---I've been needing a new one of these, thanks.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts

been listening to this guy (from detroit?) called omar s. who makes some nice simple house 12"s ...

i like pretty much all the stuff domu puts out...that new diesler record is pretty awright. nice to see PPP and dilla doing stuff with spacek and bugz / 4hero guys...

i think that Jazztronik stuff you're talking about - i've been chasing a remix he (might of)done of some bossa nova male singer... what label is that shit on? need to find out more about some of the broken beat stuff coming out of japan

• Yeah... I feel that way about straight jazz. I love it... but not like I used to. It's just a little boring now, but I know I'll come back around. It's still nice for dinners... dinners with the girl... dinners with old folks. But I haven't been just listening to it lately.

And yes... I think I will also get more into house most likely. I actually like house. Don't know much about it, but there is some funky shit. Basically, if you like disco, how can you not like house?

Peace...
    FNM

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

You too will gain pubic hair at some point, young Meaty.

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts

Dude has some aliases too, like a lot of house producers. Check for Green Velvet and Cajmere too, same guy. Has a lot of classics under his belt.

Cajual is the label. Cajmere/Green Velvet is the label boss.

Really, though, Theo Parrish and MoodyMann from Detroit are the only dudes doing anything at all with house anymore. Also check early Ron Trent/Prescription material for a truly stoned experience. "Altered States" (Warehouse) will convert almost anyone.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    most of that Chess/Checker/Cadet

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Hang, on that's don't love[/b] but might down the road

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Classical aint doin it for me, Jazz aint doin it for me

I hope I get to learn more about these genres down the road. As i'm SURE i will be enjoying them in the future. To me, instrumental music is essential in one's home. I usually listen to more instrumental stuff at home. what about you guys?

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I'm finding that I'm digging this kinda stuff lately:

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    most of that Chess/Checker/Cadet[/b]

Um...do you own any that I can rescue you from ever having to listen to again?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Disco/Modern Soul/Boogie[/b]
    I'm not really feeling it. I listen to the mixes, and think it's generally okay. I don't hate it, which seems the typical reaction from most dico-unfriendly folks. I've probably bought ~100 of these records, and listen to them once in a while. I check back every few months just to make sure, but currently it's just not making me shiver. I still hold hope...

Sweet Soul[/b]
    (Sorry Drewn.) Sweetness is a little different than disco. I like it. I listen to it. And I collect it. But it's just not devastating my private mine garden. After peacefulrotation posted that Don Julian & The Larks LP I went back and listened to it again (it'd been a few years), and kinda ummmmed. I think I need shit that is just depressing. I don't like positive messages so much. Street Soul[/b], I guess, is my bag.

like I said, PBR is a hellof a drug. Yes, Cajmere... my bad brad. Carfagna, get on the court and talk that malarky. get navitravolta'd

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Still loving Jazz and Dipset but man....I've been feeling some cheezy shit as of late like the easy listening radio and Metal Mania on VH1..I don't know am I going soft?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Sweet Soul[/b]
    (Sorry Drewn.) Sweetness is a little different than disco. I like it. I listen to it. And I collect it. But it's just not devastating my private mine garden. After peacefulrotation posted that Don Julian & The Larks LP I went back and listened to it again (it'd been a few years), and kinda ummmmed. I think I need shit that is just depressing. I don't like positive messages so much. Street Soul[/b], I guess, is my bag.

Haha, yea - it's all a part of the mind state. Trust me, I was not sitting around my crib with no shorty listening to "Ain't No Woman (Like The One I Got)". At that point I was steady into deep jazz (no personal references intended) and anything that accompanied my mood.

I go through phases like the seasons, huge chunks of time that I'm into a specific genre or completely not. For the past several months it's been a strain on the ear to listen to almost anything electronic-based. Sort of odd, considering that I have a basement room full of House/D&B/Detroit Techno 12" at my parent's place. I'm at the point where I am not sure if selling most of that stuff would be a good idea, or something I will regret later.

Sort of like when I sold CDs like "Undertow" to Disc-Go-Round back in the day. Easy to get again, but just an example. Don't want that happen again, on a much grander scale.

• Art_FormArt_Form 188 Posts
    Uhhhh country? Don't ask...

---I've been needing a new one of these, thanks.

Nioce! I think I'm finding my niche'

• i used to be really into jazz, now i can only dig some albums when im chilling

i cant listen to any indie rock/small bands type stuff. my friends try to get me to go out to indie gigs occasionally but most of them sound exactly the same. there was this one act that wasnt bad. two chicks playing cello w/ an upright bassist and a drummer. wasnt bad but i dont think im going to too many more rock shows.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    This is probably a cardinal sin that will get me 1 star and/or banned but chopped and screwed hiphop. It just, I don't know, doesn't do anything for me. I'll give it another listen, bu it's almost like it puts me to sleep while hurting my ears. If anyone has any recommendations or mp3's, I'll be more than happy to listen to it.