Cost effective alternatives to BagsUnlmtd LPboxes?

AreDoubleAreDouble 124 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I seem to remember someone making a "moving" post a while back and the 50-100 or so boxes in the picture looked like bankers boxes.Here's my dilemma. I have 30+ LP boxes of shit I need to alphabetize . . . still wrestling with whether I'm going to then break into genre/useful categories and alphabetize further. I want to expedite the process, but I've run out of LP boxes and can't afford to put in another order right now. My hope was to have enough empty boxes to restart the process . . . Yeah, I guess I could empty a few boxes and get it started that way, but I need more anyway.Recommendations? Thanks.

Comments

• If you're just looking for cardboard boxes go to uhaul. Super cheap. If you need the corrugated water proof shit unfortunately Bags Unltd is the only game in town (I think).

• Sort of related, or maybe i should start a new post, but what's a good source for super cheap boxes for shipping records with media mail?

• brasspack.com

• Thanks for the heads up Paycheck . . . Yeah, I pretty much just need transitional boxes for temporary storage before they're refiled in cubes. Peace.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Yeah looks like those uhaul boxes are about a buck each which isn't bad.

If you don't wanna pay though, I've found some liquor boxes are the perfect size and they can be acquired free in quantity (which reminds me - tomorrow is the day round here...). Particularly nice is the fact that some even have a heavy divider going down the middle for extra support if you're stackin.

At this point I'm on the lookout for super cheap shelving just to utilize my rental storage unit effectively... I've got a lot of vertical space wasted and figure I ought to start checking craigslist/thrifts just to get stuff organized - its a lot harder when you have a shitload of boxes.

• Yeah looks like those uhaul boxes are about a buck each which isn't bad.

If you don't wanna pay though, I've found some liquor boxes are the perfect size and they can be acquired free in quantity (which reminds me - tomorrow is the day round here...). Particularly nice is the fact that some even have a heavy divider going down the middle for extra support if you're stackin.

At this point I'm on the lookout for super cheap shelving just to utilize my rental storage unit effectively... I've got a lot of vertical space wasted and figure I ought to start checking craigslist/thrifts just to get stuff organized - its a lot harder when you have a shitload of boxes.

I'd recommend going with the cube recipe from Wax Poetics #1. They work great, and I'm thinking you can use press board in place of plywood for a smoother surface . . . Or sand and seal. Best of luck.

• If you're just looking for cardboard boxes go to uhaul. Super cheap. If you need the corrugated water proof shit unfortunately Bags Unltd is the only game in town (I think).

The Uhaul Small Box is what you want. Uhaul charges $1.70 a piece I think for up to 50, or something like that. I hit up craigslist and got 30 of them for $15 from some lady who had just moved. One Uhaul Small Box fits 100 records, give or take.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    brasspack.com
    Thanks for that link. I wish I would have known that a couple weeks ago. They are MUCH cheaper than bags unlimited.

• Sort of related, or maybe i should start a new post, but what's a good source for super cheap boxes for shipping records with media mail?

if youre only shipping a few records u might consider a free alternative...i find abandoned cardboard boxes outside of furniture stores or the grocery store, cut em up into 13x13 squares and tape and seal the edges...FREE and eco-friendly.....

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    If you live near an Ikea they also have these cardboard boxes you put together that are perfect for 45s and LPs. They're pretty cheap as well.

if youre only shipping a few records u might consider a free alternative...i find abandoned cardboard boxes outside of furniture stores or the grocery store, cut em up into 13x13 squares and tape and seal the edges...FREE and eco-friendly.....

Use inside out priority mailers, just don't get caught! Actually, what you can do is get the UPS or Fed Ex ones that are the same size, flip those inside out, then if USPS says "Are these priority boxes inside out?" you can truthfully tell them no.