WGA Writers Strike

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Any of my other LA strutters affected by this?I had to quit my job last friday and seek greener pastures, kinda sucked cause, if all went right, I was on a track to become a writers assistant in a few months.I'm wondering if any strut folks are going to be out of work.Anyone outside the industry caring about this strike? Lack of good live programming etc?

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I'm watching this as someone in New Mexico, where a lot of film business goes on. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the business to know whose trying to take advantage of who.

• Time to brace ourselves for yet MORE reality tv and reruns... Whatever, I need to get more stuff done anyway. Might actually help me be more productive. Thank you, greedy, gluttonous TV execs!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    IMO its looks like both sides are trying to get over on the other.

Basically the writers want a larger piece of "New Media" which is media that hasn't been created yet. This comes from feeling like they got shafted on their cut from DVD sales. No one really knows what new media is but both sides see it as a potential cash cow.

Studios just don't want to give up any potential money they could be getting in the future as well, they are defintely looking like the bigger asses in this though because initially they were trying to take away residual pay from re-runs which is considered pretty taboo to touch.

• I dunno, IMO, writers are what make the shows happen in the first place and they SHOULD get a bigger piece of new media and media that has yet to be developed. DVD sales of popular tv shows are pretty substantial. If the situation is that writers failed to see that in 88 (before the advent of dvd) then it's only right for them to want a piece of that.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Time to brace ourselves for yet MORE reality tv and reruns... Whatever, I need to get more stuff done anyway. Might actually help me be more productive. Thank you, greedy, gluttonous TV execs!

PBS, perhaps? We're unaffected by the strike since, as a non-profit, we negotiate separately from commercial writers. Getcho Frontline on, son!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I dunno, IMO, writers are what make the shows happen in the first place and they SHOULD get a bigger piece of new media and media that has yet to be developed. DVD sales of popular tv shows are pretty substantial. If the situation is that writers failed to see that in 88 (before the advent of dvd) then it's only right for them to want a piece of that.

you're right on that, however being privy to some of the press releases from the WGA over negotiations it makes me have no sympathy for them, they are bargaining mad-diva like.

Not only that they are unionized and for them to go on strike is nowhere near as hard as it would of been on the assistant & non-union types that put all the foot work down to make these scripts happen and get their words stolen so that the writer can keep making his/ her cash (yes I'm slightly mad doggie)

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Who's gonna write The Hills now?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

strangely enough I just got my first writing gig on Monday, it doesn't count as corssing lines though, its for a reality/ news show.

and trust me y'all won't want to see it

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

strangely enough I just got my first writing gig on Monday, it doesn't count as corssing lines though, its for a reality/ news show.

SPILL SON!

• I dunno, IMO, writers are what make the shows happen in the first place and they SHOULD get a bigger piece of new media and media that has yet to be developed. DVD sales of popular tv shows are pretty substantial. If the situation is that writers failed to see that in 88 (before the advent of dvd) then it's only right for them to want a piece of that.

you're right on that, however being privy to some of the press releases from the WGA over negotiations it makes me have no sympathy for them, they are bargaining mad-diva like.

Not only that they are unionized and for them to go on strike is nowhere near as hard as it would of been on the assistant & non-union types that put all the foot work down to make these scripts happen and get their words stolen so that the writer can keep making his/ her cash (yes I'm slightly mad doggie)

American workers need to have unions. If not, they inevitably fall prey to being underpaid and exploited. Also, if you have your sights set on being a writer, shouldn't you be siding with them? I hear you on the point you're making regarding assistants and non-union workers (which concedes the point I'm making about the need for unions) but that's the hierarchy of the business you're in. Hollywood is full of ruthless, backstabbing, social climbing motherfuckers. Please avoid turning into one of those types. Stay focused...

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i don't care if it's simplistic, FUCK THE SUITS.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    My girlfriend got laid off today because of this. She is/was a writer's assistant so they're the first to go. Good thing my show has shooting scripts for the rest of the season!

Maybe it hasn't sunken in yet but we're not too worried about it, and as aspiring writers we're pulling for the WGA for sure.

Let's just hope it's quick.

• I'm with the writers. They should get more royalties. If I'm supposed to pay for every copy of a movie I have (dvd/itunes/etc) like the suits want me to then I want the writers to get the bread.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I've put some serious thought into it and, I'm gonna rescind what I said before about the writers bein ggreedy. They deserve all the credit they can for their work, especially since the its studio heads that are really trying to put them in their place.

Besides that as an aspiring writer I should hope for the best possible outcome.

VIVA LA WGA

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    At least Cavemen won't be effected.

They can't possibly have paid writers.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I will if it has LC!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

I had to quit my job last friday and seek greener pastures, kinda sucked cause, if all went right, I was on a track to become a writers assistant in a few months.

Sorry to hear A**m,i hope you'll get back on your feet quickly.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I had to quit my job last friday and seek greener pastures, kinda sucked cause, if all went right, I was on a track to become a writers assistant in a few months.

Sorry to hear A**m,i hope you'll get back on your feet quickly.

No worries, I was lucky enough to land back at my old stomping grounds where I am making a couple of holiday specials.

If I get lucky I'll be able to let y'all know if Kim Kardashian is rocking assplants or not

• Man, this sucks. I guess they'll just have to start reusing ideas? It'd be a shame if Hollywood resorted to that.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    If this messes with LOST....

that's some big time

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

that's some big time

I'd imagine it would depending on how many episodes they already got in the can the season could potentially be a really short one.

n the last couple days I spoke with some friends on the Greys Anatomy and Private Practice sets and they both have one more episode to do and they they are tapped.

Talks just broke off about an hour ago too, so its official the strike shall begin in approx. an hour

• HamHam 872 Posts

that's some big time

read somewhere that the likes of lost & 24 etc all have such complicated storylines that they're usually 5-7 episodes ahead. and lost won't air again til february and they're allready filming the 7th episode so it shouldn't be a problem.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'm really hope this doesn't effect Conan O Brian. It probably will.

=(

- spidey

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

that's some big time

Sorry to say, Lost is pretty well screwed. The show-runner Carlton Cuse is one of the WGA negotiating committee's members so the production is definitely on hold. Fortuntely, the last season of the Wire is the wrapped, but that might be the last good TV we see in a while.

• forget all that other mess, what about the WIRE?!?!?!?

• HamHam 872 Posts
    Fortuntely, the last season of the Wire is the wrapped, but that might be the last good TV we see in a while.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

that's some big time

I'd imagine it would depending on how many episodes they already got in the can the season could potentially be a really short one.

n the last couple days I spoke with some friends on the Greys Anatomy and Private Practice sets and they both have one more episode to do and they they are tapped.

Talks just broke off about an hour ago too, so its official the strike shall begin in approx. an hour

They need to fight for these rights, same as journalists in the US did a few years ago. Newspapers and mags used to syndicate writers' pieces all over the internet claiming that only the original published printed piece was subject to any rights or payment issues. Journalists forced them to start using standard contracts that provisioned for all current and future media.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

that's some big time

Good news and bad news:

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2007/11/how-will-the-st.html

So far, the news about what the strike will mean for Lost's return to ABC this winter isn't all that bad, but it could get worse if the picketing persists. According to Lost executive producer Carlton Cuse ??? who was walking the picket line Monday in front of Burbank's Disney lot with fellow EP Damon Lindelof ??? ABC will soon have eight episodes in the can that it can begin airing after the first of the year (ABC has yet to announce a start date, though it seems likely the show will return in February). If the strike is prolonged and the scribes can't get back to work writing the rest of the episodes, fans are going to be stuck with the kind of stunted season they were forced to endure last year. "It will feel like buying a Harry Potter book, reading half of it, and then having to put it down for many months," explains Cuse. "There is a cliffhanger at the end of the eighth episode. It will only be frustrating [for viewers] to have to step away from the show and not see the second half of the season.
    "The first half of the season, like a good novel, sets all the events of the show in motion and the second half deals with the consequences," Cuse continued. "We're very proud of the first eight but it feels weird to have to stop literally mid-stream."

• I'm really hope this doesn't effect Conan O Brian. It probably will.

=(

- spidey

I doubt it. Conan is a very funny writer in his own right. Remember those Simpsons episodes he wrote? He'll be just fine...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I HOPE THIS DOESN'T AFFECT NINJA WARRIOR