~NON-IRONIC MUSTACHE?~

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
So I'm thinking about keeping this mustache, but I don't want it to be percieved as something I'm rocking as a conversation piece. I'm a man and I can grow facial hair, that should be enough of an explanation.I don't need to show people that I'm interesting or artsy or "in the now" or whatever this may convey.How can people under-30 rock a mustache so that it's motives are not percieved as being ironic? Is this even possible?Thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Comments

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    shave a receeding hairline up top and it wont look weird or ironic

• Magic always seems to be a good attention deterrent.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• I'm sorry man. If you're asking how you can make your mustache non-ironic, it won't be non-ironic.

• I love that book.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    FIRST STEP - HAVE IT NOT BE GAY

SERIOUSLY DUDE, THAT THING ABOVE YOUR LIP IS TRYING TO BE A MOUSTACHE BUT ITS JUST NOT MAKING IT. JUST ACCEPT U CANT PULL THIS KIND OF SHIT OFF AND MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE. ONE LOVE.

I'm only one week in though......Is it that bad? I need to give it at least two weeks before I abort my mission. No?

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    one month minimum

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I've been growing one out--it's starting to creep into the nostrils.

• either that...or dress the part...maybe some rogain on the lip would thicken that shit up...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

That's a good look.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    man im 32 and find it challenging to rock a non ironic stache.... been SO tempted to grow one fer like a year now... my drummer went the whole hog and got mad handlebars goin down

• FIRST STEP - HAVE IT NOT BE GAY

SERIOUSLY DUDE, THAT THING ABOVE YOUR LIP IS TRYING TO BE A MOUSTACHE BUT ITS JUST NOT MAKING IT. JUST ACCEPT U CANT PULL THIS KIND OF SHIT OFF AND MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE. ONE LOVE.

I'm only one week in though......Is it that bad? I need to give it at least two weeks before I abort my mission. No?

yeah...wait at least another week or two....maybe douse a little rogain on there....should be all good...

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    If you're doing non-ironic, it has to be way over the top so that it's obvious you're taking shit seriously. I suggest some moustache involving lots of wax or, better yet, the king of all moustaches, the fu manchu.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    unless you are a fireman, policeman, or big-fat-russian-guy, you have no business growing a mustache.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

No matter what you do, your 'tache will never be as badass as this little girls socks.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    MOVE BACK TO WISCONSIN. seriously dude, don't worry about it, just do it. wear it like it's no big deal (which it isn't),don't act like a pretentious dick and you'll be fine. there should be no stigma attached to a moustache, the hipsters ruined it.

MOVE BACK TO WISCONSIN. seriously dude, don't worry about it, just do it. wear it like it's no big deal (which it isn't),don't act like a pretentious dick and you'll be fine. there should be no stigma attached to a moustache, the hipsters ruined it.

That's what I'm saying. All my uncles have had their's since the ice bowl.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Get a job in construction. It helps motivate the mind on facial hair style. Oh, and don't forget your carhartt jacket.

Like others have said in previous threads about fedoras and boots, you gotta have the confidence, and say fuck it. It feels good, trust me.

• I've been growing one out--it's starting to creep into the nostrils.

That's a good look.

Gotta agree. A long way from the teletubbies wear post.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Shoot for the stars and try to steal this guy's crown for world's most devastating mustache...

• It's only ironic on white guys under 30.

• I've been growing one out--it's starting to creep into the nostrils.

That's a good look.

Gotta agree. A long way from the teletubbies wear post.

What's up with that cubicle background though? Reynaldo works? In a cubicle?

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    my drummer went the whole hog and got mad handlebars goin down

i rocked the handbars/fu manchu for a couple months last year (ironically enough i'm a drummer too) and for as much respect i got from dudes, women hate it. so unless you got a solid girlfriend i'd stick to the 5 o'clock or nothing.

It's only ironic on white guys under 30.

Is that the bottom line? Really?

You could pull it off globe dome steez. I want that to happen.

• What's up with that cubicle background though? Reynaldo works? In a cubicle?

That's his record room. The man is a businessman, after all.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I heard a funny comment about the growing trend of hipsters wearing staches. "When the cops started wearing goatees the hipsters took back the stache."

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    What's up with that cubicle background though? Reynaldo works? In a cubicle?

That's his record room. The man is a businessman, after all.
    I took it at school; back of the classroom browsing eBay.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    It's only ironic on white guys under 30.

Spot on.

Dad's, construction workers, police, gay dudes can all floss the M-stache in a non-ironic fashion. Basically if you look like any member of The Village People it's go time.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    my drummer went the whole hog and got mad handlebars goin down

i rocked the handbars/fu manchu for a couple months last year (ironically enough i'm a drummer too) and for as much respect i got from dudes, women hate it. so unless you got a solid girlfriend i'd stick to the 5 o'clock or nothing.

This is mostly true. I can grow a decent 'stache, and only one woman ever asked me if she could ride on my handlebars. I appreciated the humor and directness in that question, but I had to pass. I'm now staying one step ahead of the game with a full beard.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts