Rep some upcoming DVD releases

MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I've wanted to see this one again since I saw it at the TIFF last summer. TLA's releasing the DVD next month... Fans of City of God, Palace II, City of Men should check this out.... Like Reality TV meets City of God...also, the City of Men movie (which sadly is being billed as City of God sequal) is coming limited to theatres Jan, although you can get the DVD already if you know what you're doingPut me on to some DVD's to keep my eye out for

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Adam West does Batman's voice on one of the better "SuperFriends" extensions.

Plus Cyborg joins.

I wrote to Warner and asked them to release the Superman Aquaman Hour in full. So they left the accompanying Superman stories out of both this and their Superman release from earlier this year.
    Add the fact that they left out the guest star segments originally in the show (Teen Titans, Justice League, Atom, Hawkman, Flash, Green Lantern), and I'm very disappointed. However, all36 Aquaman stories are here to enjoy, and they are among Filmation Studios' best work.
    Let's keep nagging Warner to plug the gaps

Im coppin both tonight.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

I tried to hype this a while ago

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post871525

but I guess it wasn't that widely distributed at the time. With a DVD release, hopefully more people will get to see it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the City of Men movie

I need to get this from you!

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

I tried to hype this a while ago

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post871525

but I guess it wasn't that widely distributed at the time. With a DVD release, hopefully more people will get to see it.

I hear you on that one. I remember seeing this thing at 9am with 12 other people. 12. That's it. It's sad because BORAT had it's premiere the same week and there were 500+ people in a line to try to get into that ish (even though it opened a week later in mainstream theatres) as well as Babel's North American premiere, yet 12 people showed up to Ghosts. I actually asked the director after the show if he'd license a limited DVD release to me and he laughed at me lol. One of my favorite films of that years festival, up there with Pan's, This is England and Taxidermia.

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts
    Not really anything new, but this is one DVD that can't come soon enough....

Finally they've gone and done this up proper... all episodes with the pilot (minus the dissapointing Fire Walk with Me) with participation from the man himself... loaded with features and even a recipe for that killer cherry pie... damn!

Grabbed that Jodorowsky Box Set that Anchor Bay released in the summer and am just getting into the bulk of it... Great job on some great films and even including the OST's for El Topo and Holy Mountain... now all they need to do is release a legit verision of Santa Sangre.....

City of God 2 though?? Hmmm.... Anybody watch the accompanying doc on the COG DVD by the co-director???

City Of God should be left alone.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Not really anything new, but this is one DVD that can't come soon enough....

Finally they've gone and done this up proper... all episodes with the pilot (minus the dissapointing Fire Walk with Me) with participation from the man himself... loaded with features and even a recipe for that killer cherry pie... damn!

City of God 2 though?? Hmmm.... Anybody watch the accompanying doc on the COG DVD by the co-director???

Ya, I need to buy that Twin Peaks boxset for real. One of my favorite series along with Carnivale. In terms of COG, there is no way they should bill it like that. City of Men was an alright series for about 1 and 1/2 seasons, but season 3 and 4 were just terrible. I didn't even want to finish the series at one point. I guess the movie is based on a riff between those two characters. It's funny because when dood played Little Z in COG I thought he was raw, but after City of Men his whole image has flipped

btw... anybody hear of a release date for "My Blueberry Nights"? Anyone manage to see this yet??

One of my favorite series along with Carnivale.

I've heard soooooo many great things about this series, I think it's bout time to finally check it out.... just finished all The Wire's on dvd and was thinkin bout starting up Deadwood seeing as it's been the focus of the water cooler talk at my work for some time.... but that may have to wait now... is it just 2 seasons??

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    One of my favorite series along with Carnivale.

I've heard soooooo many great things about this series, I think it's bout time to finally check it out.... just finished all The Wire's on dvd and was thinkin bout starting up Deadwood seeing as it's been the focus of the water cooler talk at my work for some time.... but that may have to wait now... is it just 2 seasons??

Both are great - though I couldn't get past the third episiode of Deadwood's last season, it was so boring and stagnant...the characters just seemd like cartoon characters. Deadwood has three seasons, but it may as well be two.

The first season of Carnivale is one of the best things I've ever seen - dusty, sexy, beautifully shot, creepy, great story-telling and unique characters. It got cancelled, so the second season felt rushed and lacked a lot of the mystery that made the first season so great.

Both are well-worth seeing.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I usually rent, but there's 3 titles I might have to buy next month...

Nov. 13 on Criterion: (all 941 mins of it)

also Nov. 13, on New Yorker/Milestone:

had a soft spot for this one since childhood (2-disc set Nov 6):

... and I'm thinking this'll make a classy holiday present for my pops (Nov 13 on Kino):

• City Of God should be left alone.

what do you mean

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    psyched to see killer of sheep
    i have only heard great things

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I might have to check that 40s movie box set out. I saw Strange Impersonation at the Egyptian last year...twisted. I'm hyped for the new MST3000 DVD. A couple of them are "good" movies on their own, as well. Somewhat crappy box art, though...

psyched to see killer of sheep
    i have only heard great things

It is a very great movie, but in a quiet, slice-of-life way. I think some people get overhyped and expect something different than what it is.

SuperPowers Galactic Guardians.......

Copped during Lunch

City Of God should be left alone.

what do you mean

the City of Men movie (which sadly is being billed as City of God sequal)

Can't get enough of those Noir sets.... still gotta cop the Warner Vol. 3... Finally someone's decided to do Ms. Lupino's Hitch-Hiker justice... I have a grainy boot off an asian laserdisc that gets more irritating with every watch...

It'll also be nice to finally have Scarlett Street on DVD, although not my favorite Lang noir.... surprised nobody's done Ministry of Fear or Woman in the Window....

Edward G Robinson was in the 40's and even into the 50's with stuff like Key Largo...

.... surprised nobody's done Ministry of Fear or Woman in the Window....

you're in luck, Woman in the Window came out a few months back:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PMFRW4/imdb-adbox/

Dunno how I missed that.... Thx!

Was about to place an order with Amazon to take advantage of the dollar... guess that'll be sliding in there...

btw... seeing as you seem to be so up-to-date... you hear anything about a North American release for "My Blueberry Nights" yet?

Was about to place an order with Amazon to take advantage of the dollar... guess that'll be sliding in there...

btw... seeing as you seem to be so up-to-date... you hear anything about a North American release for "My Blueberry Nights" yet?

I'm fairly sure no date on My Blueberry Nights yet...

btw, I use Amazon for release-date purposes only -- have you tried Deepdiscountdvd.com? From time to time I'll find some amazing prices there...

have you tried Deepdiscountdvd.com? From time to time I'll find some amazing prices there...

I haven't.... but now I will....

Seeing as this just came out on Tuesday...

Heard nothing but GREAT things so far about this.... LOADED with features...

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director of photography Raoul Coutard
    - Archival interviews with director Jean-Luc Godard, and actors Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jean Seberg, and Jean-Pierre Melville
    - New video interviews with Coutard, assistant director Pierre Rissient, and filmmaker D. A. Pennebaker
    - New video essays: filmmaker and critic Mark Rappaport's "Jean Seberg" and critic Jonathan Rosenbaum's "Breathless as Film Criticism"
    - Chambre 12, Hotel de suede, an eighty-minute French documentary about the making of Breathless, with members of the cast and crew
    - Charlotte et son Jules, a 1959 short film by Godard, starring Belmondo
    - French theatrical trailer
    - New and improved English subtitle translation
    - PLUS: A booklet featuring writings from Godard, film historian Dudley Andrew, Francois Truffaut's original film treatment, and Godard's scenario

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts

I'm fairly sure no date on My Blueberry Nights yet...

btw, I use Amazon for release-date purposes only -- have you tried Deepdiscountdvd.com? From time to time I'll find some amazing prices there...

Eh, I haven't been impressed with DDD's sales (excluding the biannual store-wide 20% one) and general prices in the past year like I used to be. Places like Amazon and Costco have stepped up their sale game big time. These days, I just use DDD once or twice a year during that 20% sale for items that I know won't go into sale price anytime soon.

(Like, you know that Criterion has a mega sale once or twice a year on its own, Warner Bros. discounts all their box sets roughly 6 months after release, A&E does firehouse sales regularly, etc.)

For those unaware, definitely check out

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1

from time to time

Interesting, I haven't bought a DVD online in about a year, but when I bought more regularly Deep Discount generally had the best price -- sometimes 1/2 of what amazon was charging. but yeah, i just did some comparison pricing, and DD ain't what it used to be.