Vitiman and Archaic

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I saw Van Halen on my 16th birthday. I dunno why. I've never even liked them.... Oh yeah, my drug dealer had tickets & he gave them to me. Each member played a 30 minute solo. The bass solo especialy was kinda grueling. Some drunken middle age skank dumped beer down my back so my friend (who I took cause he loved hair metal) bought me the most hideous tie-died Van Halen 1993 tour shirt as a joke/to wear. Good times.

Van Halen = GOOD[/b]

Van Hagar = BAD[/b]

Hagar's solo set consisted of James Taylor-esque "Fuck me I'm sensitive" acoustic jamz.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    maybe y'all haters havent heard the right stuff...for instance I was never a Jethro Tull fan, thought it was some over-played wizard flute rock shit...then last night I saw their performance at Isle of Wight '70 and they kicked my ass!!!...damn that band was good and Ian was funny as hell too, now I will prolly go diggin for Tull records after lunch, which I am going to eat rat now...see ya!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    maybe y'all haters havent heard the right stuff...for instance I was never a Jethro Tull fan, thought it was some over-played wizard flute rock shit...then last night I saw their performance at Isle of Wight '70 and they kicked my ass!!!...damn that band was good and Ian was funny as hell too, now I will prolly go diggin for Tull records after lunch, which I am going to eat rat now...see ya!

I've never liked any of their records but that performance from the Rock & Roll Circus w/Tony Iommi was powerful stuff

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts

AP,

It's typical you would spout the antiwar propaganda on Van Halen verbatim. Strictly dulcimer, holmes. In fifty years you will regret your opinions on EVH as more of the world's free people's recognize his unique contributions to western cannon. I'm runnin with the devil, but doing God's work.

VitAmin.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I saw Van Halen on my 16th birthday. I dunno why. I've never even liked them.... Oh yeah, my drug dealer had tickets & he gave them to me. Each member played a 30 minute solo. The bass solo especialy was kinda grueling. Some drunken middle age skank dumped beer down my back so my friend (who I took cause he loved hair metal) bought me the most hideous tie-died Van Halen 1993 tour shirt as a joke/to wear. Good times.

Van Halen = GOOD[/b]

Van Hagar = BAD[/b]

Van Charone = the coming rapture

• maybe y'all haters havent heard the right stuff...for instance I was never a Jethro Tull fan, thought it was some over-played wizard flute rock shit...then last night I saw their performance at Isle of Wight '70 and they kicked my ass!!!...damn that band was good and Ian was funny as hell too, now I will prolly go diggin for Tull records after lunch, which I am going to eat rat now...see ya!

Cosign. I just slapped together a Tull 68-71 mix. 'Song For Jeffery' and 'New Day Yesterday' are the shit. Pick up 'This Was', 'Stand Up', the 45 of 'Living In The Past' and 'Benefit'.

AP,

It's typical you would spout the antiwar propaganda on Van Halen verbatim. Strictly dulcimer, holmes. In fifty years you will regret your opinions on EVH as more of the world's free people's recognize his unique contributions to western cannon. I'm runnin with the devil, but doing God's work.

VitAmin.

Cosign. I just slapped together a Tull 68-71 mix. 'Song For Jeffery' and 'New Day Yesterday' are the shit. Pick up 'This Was', 'Stand Up', the 45 of 'Living In The Past' and 'Benefit'.

They kill it on the "Rock and Roll Circus" too! Although Ian Anderson should send Mrs. RR "Edith" Kirk a dollar everytime he does that flute thing.

• maybe y'all haters havent heard the right stuff...for instance I was never a Jethro Tull fan, thought it was some over-played wizard flute rock shit...then last night I saw their performance at Isle of Wight '70 and they kicked my ass!!!...damn that band was good and Ian was funny as hell too, now I will prolly go diggin for Tull records after lunch, which I am going to eat rat now...see ya!

"Teacher" is one of my favorite riffs.

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    I'll raise you one cross eyed mary. Can't front on the piano on Locomotive Breath either.

• loudwizardloudwizard 358 Posts

my lil sis.

her man is connected somehow.

They kill it on the "Rock and Roll Circus" too! Although Ian Anderson should send Mrs. RR "Edith" Kirk a dollar everytime he does that flute thing.

I hear that....

The first time I heard RR Kirk I was like "waaaiiiiit a minute.... "

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    He owns a buncha fish farms and does/did a folk music show on BBC radio.

I used to know a guy who was a roadie for Jethro Tull for 10yrs+. He said Ian's country estate in the UK was huge...said he used to get lost in the 'garden' looking for him.

I will also add that there's an act named 'Richard Cheese and Lounge Against The Machine' who do a great version of Hot For Teacher.

• anyone in their late 20's/early 30's is lying if they say that they've always hated van halen. back when 1984 came out, it was some war of the worlds shit.

See this is where my notions of goodness and things being right with the world go down the toilet.... people who talk raer and then admit to liking utter garbage like it's some suburban white dude badge of honor. Nearly as bad as the folks on here who floss raer and then play utter garbage at their DJ nights. No integrity.

Van Halen = not here, come on for real.

...Watch this thread go 9 pages. Fucking hipsters.

There are only two kinds of music, good and bad. That is why a lot of us are into all kinds of stuff, regardless of genre. I'm going to dig out unchained right now!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

My response:

Eddie Val Halen sucks because shred is dead dude, David Lee Roth is a Jew Vaudevilian boner

you forgot to mention that he's a blackbelt!

anyway, i think this may be the greatest thread in the history of soulstrut. i know i have mentioned the bootleg van halen 85 concert near Baltimore that is so entertaining and funny. roth is wearing asschaps and is obviously coked up. he also kept saying "HELLO MARYLAND/WASHINGTON DC!!!" all members seemed to take turns bantering & distracting the crowd with these "HELLO MARYLAND WASHINGTON DC's" while the other members went backstage for more lines in between songs. For 'Little Guitars' I swear to god, in true Spinal Tap fashion Eddie busted out a little guitar and 'shredded' on it. i am not a VH hateur by any means. i do think eddie is good technically but it's only teetering on overkill. i am mildly impressed watching him play because at least he appears to have fun and isn't all sterile mr. musicianship and shit. i def. don't feel the eddie vh guitar god worship though, but he doesn't offend me. michael anthony though, blecccch. dude bugs the hell out of me

play the LP track Cathederal off Diver Down at 45rpm and you got a nice break.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

They were one of the best bands of the past thirty years, period
    Deal with it dude

You fucking Troll!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

why don't we just step outside now? i'll set you right with my Jack Daniels bottle shaped numbchucks [sic].

Why don't we hop out of our SS Monte Carlos and make our chests look as big as possible

• man I was so relieved to see this thread is about 'Halen and not the actual title !

right on

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    man I was so relieved to see this thread is about 'Halen and not the actual title !

right on

Who is "Viti-Man" anyway?

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    whats up with the lyrics to Jump. I never payed attention as a kid, but that song was on the radio the other day I was trying to make sense of the lyrics... what the fuck. "might as well jump" does he say back against the record machine or wrecking machine. someone explain

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

See this is where my notions of goodness and things being right with the world go down the toilet.... people who talk raer and then admit to liking utter garbage like it's some suburban white dude badge of honor. Nearly as bad as the folks on here who floss raer and then play utter garbage at their DJ nights. No integrity.

Van Halen = not here, come on for real.
    ...Watch this thread go 9 pages. Fucking hipsters.

then get those 3rd eye blind picture discs off of your sale/trade post, bitch.

My response:

Eddie Val Halen sucks because shred is dead dude, David Lee Roth is a Jew Vaudevilian boner

michael anthony though, blecccch. dude bugs the hell out of me

yeah, I used to be about Mike Anthony...but then I saw some bootleg videos of concerts and realized ALL of those "beach boys on steroids" backing vocals are him, I know eddie does a little back up singing, but all that shit like "Beautiful Girls" and "So This is Love?" is all Michael, realizing this gave me an appreciation of him.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    SS Monte Carlos

My dream car, dude... seriously.

HAY-ZUSE!!!!

oh yeah, back from lunch, didnt go diggin for Tull like I planned...I had lunch at pho hoa binh and dude whipped up this dish that had these paper thin noodles, bok choy, pea pods, celery, tofu and a dash of garlic...I hit with a healthy amount of that chili sauce I call "chicken sauce" because it has a picture of a chicken on it but I never can remember the name of the stuff, at the chef's suggestion...and it was , so I had two big platesof the shit and now I am sleepy and its too goddamn hot outside, so I thought I would come back home, sit in the A/C and listen to raers and debate Van Halen some more...but after a nap and some digestion I will probably get out of the house again, maybe..anyone got any reefer?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I been rocking Faces "Long Player" all day. Dude, I used to hate Rod Stewart.

• SS Monte Carlos

My dream car, dude... seriously.

HAY-ZUSE!!!!

A Buick Grand National is the ultimate metal head wagon.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Shit, find me a more inventive guitarist in 1978, and I dont give a shit about any bearded jazz dipshit I havent heard and I am missing out on...

Since I don't like rock, especially over the top rock, I am in no postion to pass judgement on VH.

I best know EVH guitar from Beat It. I alway thought that he had reworked a Django solo and played it loud and hard. I respect that, much more inventive than all these neo-Django guitar players running around trying to recreate the Hot Club. What I have heard of VH I thought was generaly better than what I have heard of other hair bands.

As for more inventive; John Abercombie, played in a group called Stark Reality and is very inventive. Scott Nygard is a Seattle guitarist who played with Linda Allen back in '78, he is surprisingly inventive. Brian Setzer is my favorite inventive rock guitarist of the era.

When I named Jump Jump Music there were 2 different songs in the top ten titled Jump. VH and Pointer Sisters.

Dan

I love the OG Small Faces and hate(d) Rod Stewart. Someone gave me a collection of classic rock recently. I started to appreciate "Every Picture Tells a Story"

I'm gonna cop that Faces jawn on your ref AI. thanks

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I love the OG Small Faces and hate(d) Rod Stewart. Someone gave me a collection of classic rock recently. I started to appreciate "Every Picture Tells a Story"

I'm gonna cop that Faces jawn on your ref AI. thanks

"Long Player" is their 2nd I believe, and so it's still kind of "Small Faces-esque" I guess. 1971, it's good shit. Plus they got beats.