Horror movie recommendations?

124»

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,151 Posts
    Drama featuring Murderous Psychopath end of the "Horror" spectrum

Love Lies Bleeding is one of the best new movies I've seen.  Bit of a stretch to call it horror, but in the same way that Killer Joe is.  

Frank

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,473 Posts
    I watched Terrifier last night to see what all the hype was about. It was...OK, I guess. The guy who plays Art is phenomenal, and I appreciated the whole '80s slasher flick aesthetic, but it kinda felt like less than the sum of its parts. Am I missing something?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,904 Posts
    A small list I've compiled over the past year

Silent Night Deadly Night
    Possession
    Near Dark
    Prince of Darkness
    The Sentinel
    Something Evil/Duel
    The Shout
    Blue Sunshine
    Burnt Offerings
    The Pyx 
    sledgehammer 1984
    boarding house 1982
    the last slumber party 1988
    aerobicide aka killer workout 1987
    psychocop 1989
    psychocop returns 1993
    things 1989
    student bodies 1981 (the slasher parody)
    Street Trash
    The Return of the Living Dead
    Lamberto Bava's Demons
    The Exorcist
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Rosemary's Baby
    Shining
    Evil Dead
    The Thing
    Hellraiser 1 & 2
    Changeling
    The Omen
    Black Christmas
    Watcher with Maika Monroe
    The Vanishing
    Maniac Cop

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 335 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    I watched Terrifier last night to see what all the hype was about. It was...OK, I guess. The guy who plays Art is phenomenal, and I appreciated the whole '80s slasher flick aesthetic, but it kinda felt like less than the sum of its parts. Am I missing something?

It’s not just you. I remember thinking that maybe I’m just too old…?

Wife and I watched Warlock from 1991 and it is definitely “so bad it’s good” in the most positive way. We laughed out loud.  it wasn’t remotely frightening, but unlike a lot of these movies we weren’t bored either. 

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,118 Posts
    I like unintentional comedy in gory movies but I don't bother with "horror comedy". For example, as Bill listed, the first two Hellraisers will put unpleasant images in your head and hopefully fuel a nightmare right after. However, the third and others after jumped the shark and admittedly made me laugh at times.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,473 Posts
    dizzybull said:
    DJ_Enki said:

It’s not just you. I remember thinking that maybe I’m just too old…?

Yeah, I'm probably just too old. It's the kind of trash I liked much more in my younger days, but now I'm just too "meh" about it.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,946 Posts
    I saw "Basket case" for the 2nd time recently, the first time being on a bootleg VHS back in the 80s.

The dialogue samples were used in some early 90s drum and bass tune and they are the best thing about it.  It is at times comical.

The psychological ones get me the worst.  My capacity for tension is almost non-existent after working a day full of stress.  I'd rather watch "Beyond Skinwalker Ranch" and ponder the real-life questions this world has to offer.

Gotta get value for money from that tinfoil hat Harvey sold me.  

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,151 Posts
    Talk To Me was hella creative for a "teen horror movie".

Talk to Me review RackaRacka YouTubers create fresh horror with creepy  seance game  Mashable