Horror movie recommendations?

13»

Comments

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Interesting list (Roth's).

I haven't seen Pieces or Who Can Kill a Child?

All the others are cool films, although some are questionable as "horror" (Vanishing, Erashead).

I know Roth was interested in remaking Wicker Man before the Cage/LaBute team took over. I hear the remake was awful, I have to imagine Roth would've done a better job.

Who Can Kill a Child was worth the rental. I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to source it, but if you see it somewhere it's worth checking out.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    this dude I know in Austin has the set furniture from TCM...my band crashed at his house after a show and that stuff was creepy as fuck, kinda hard to get a decent nights sleep knowing how close you are to the chair grandpa sat him...

you always manage to come up with shit that blows my mind...
    you almost had me in doubt with that avatar showing dude with red velvet "pimp" hat until you revealed it was that guy from Gibson Bros...

This used to be one of my faves back in the summer of 1990
    I hope one day I'll wind up in your neck of the woods so we can have a couple of beers together...

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    "Hitch-Hike" is the most essential one and even introduced the sub-sub-genre of "Mobile Home Invasion"!

Haha, speaking of "mobile home invasion", we just watched this last night:

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Man, if you have that level of interest in her, rent this tonight! It's the performance of a lifetime. Sam Neil's great, too -- and I usually hate him.

I'd love to go and rent this out right now, only problem is that there won't be a video store in the radius of a couple of thousand of miles which will carry it... there's no netflix in West Africa either... let me tell you, video stores are pretty much the only thing I'm missing down here and I miss hem pretty badly.

I definitely put a few movies that got mentioned here down on my wantlist for my download-and-burn connection in Europe.

And on a related note: How come no-one gave their thumbs up for the Bell From Hell?

I'd be glad to send Mr. Africa an invite to Karagarga.

I'm sure that movie and a few others mentioned is on that site.

- spidey

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I saw The Tale Of Two Sisters in the theater back when it came out.

BUT PLZ WATCH THIS VIDEO! IT WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE~!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Man, if you have that level of interest in her, rent this tonight! It's the performance of a lifetime. Sam Neil's great, too -- and I usually hate him.

I'd love to go and rent this out right now, only problem is that there won't be a video store in the radius of a couple of thousand of miles which will carry it... there's no netflix in West Africa either... let me tell you, video stores are pretty much the only thing I'm missing down here and I miss hem pretty badly.

I definitely put a few movies that got mentioned here down on my wantlist for my download-and-burn connection in Europe.

And on a related note: How come no-one gave their thumbs up for the Bell From Hell?

I'd be glad to send Mr. Africa an invite to Karagarga.

I'm sure that movie and a few others mentioned is on that site.

- spidey

only that my access to the internet is normally very slow and sporadic.
    It's only on days like these when I'm stuck inside of a hotel lobby suffering from a mix of heat stroke and alcohol poisoning, that I get to indulge in the pleasures of the worldwide web...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Well it's a torrent site, so if you can leave your internet on for more than a few hours. Even on a slow connection I'm sure on KG there's something for you.

Check your email.

- spidey

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

The Sentinel (1977)

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I'm going out on a limb on this one, but this is an amazing and beautifully made documentary about a man who dies after having sex with a horse. The story is told through audio interviews with many of the participants who gathered at horse farms near Seattle to hang out, have a few drinks, and to be on the receiving end of sex with horses. If you're a fan of the documentaries of Herzog and Errol Morris, this is a must see. Nominated for a Grand Jury Prize at Sundance.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

The Sentinel (1977)

Been curious about this one; for whatever reason the video shop near me doesn't have it. Short review?

I'm going out on a limb on this one, but this is an amazing and beautifully made documentary about a man who dies after having sex with a horse. The story is told through audio interviews with many of the participants who gathered at horse farms near Seattle to hang out, have a few drinks, and to be on the receiving end of sex with horses. If you're a fan of the documentaries of Herzog and Errol Morris, this is a must see. Nominated for a Grand Jury Prize at Sundance.

I did like this movie, although I know a lot of people who hated it (and not for reasons of content or out of squeamishness). Very sublime cinematpgraphy helps take it to a dreamlike place, even as it's very unsettling at moments. But yeah, "horror" is a bit of a stretch... not exactly Halloween pizza-party material.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

The Sentinel (1977)

Been curious about this one; for whatever reason the video shop near me doesn't have it. Short review?

Girl looking for an apartment in New York, finds out the apartment of the building houses the guardian (the sentinel) to hell.

Twisted, with cool 70's horror tricks.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

i also enjoyed phenomena

the monkey is
    i'm glad other people enjoy this movie. much like suspiria, it's the crazy ending that makes this for me.

the king of crazy horroe endings is sleepaway camp.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

I saw a British B/W (from the 30's I think) a while ago and the name is something like Haunted House or Haunted Hill, it was nothing too scary, but quite good atmospherically and it must have slipped in at that time before decency laws/censorship took; when you could still show women running around half-naked and acting openly sexual.

These folks are caught in a storm and stop at a house where they spend the night. The residents act weird and suspicious and it comes out that there is someone hidden in the attic. If you know what this is, please tell me!!

It's not this overlooked James Whale film is it?

Seeking shelter from a pounding rainstorm in a remote region of Wales, several travellers are admitted to a gloomy, foreboding mansion belonging to the extremely strange Femm family. Trying to make the best of it, the guests must deal with their sepulchral host, Horace Femm and his obsessive, malevolent sister Rebecca. Things get worse as the brutish manservant Morgan gets drunk, runs amuck and releases the long pent-up brother Saul, a psychotic pyromaniac who gleefully tries to destroy the residence by setting it on fire.

The Old Dark House

HAven't seen it in a good ten years but remember it being entertaining.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Seeking shelter from a pounding rainstorm in a remote region of Wales, several travellers are admitted to a gloomy, foreboding mansion belonging to the extremely strange Femm family. Trying to make the best of it, the guests must deal with their sepulchral host, Horace Femm and his obsessive, malevolent sister Rebecca. Things get worse as the brutish manservant Morgan gets drunk, runs amuck and releases the long pent-up brother Saul, a psychotic pyromaniac who gleefully tries to destroy the residence by setting it on fire.

!!!!!

I think this is it - but damn, you'd think I would remember Karloff and Laughton are in it. I will look for it this weekend, along with the Adjani film onetet suggested.
    Halloween movie weekend!

Thanks so much!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    OK, so this movie got suprisingly good reviews and now I totally want to see it:

EASTER BUNNY KILL! KILL!

I may have to track it down just based on the title alone.....

(check the bottom of the poster... "Crappy World Films Presents:" lolololol)

over-the-top, artful psychedelic/psychotronic/psychotic horror freakout fare its best.

I had an extremely hard time with this. The phrase "the unbearable Germnan-ness of being" kept coming to mind. It was too much for me - the acting was almost unbearable and was a real obstacle to paying attention to the greater story or mood. The whole unfocused wide-eyed, gaping mouth school of acting to show madness drove me nuts. I fast-forwarded through her freak-out in the subway and Heinirich's death could not have come any sooner. (There is a guy in Toronto that not only looks like him, but kind of acts like him, too. German and same age-group, I am not kidding. I have seen him at parties with fake Maori face tattoos and Xhosa face-paint. Man just laughs at him, but I have this incredible desire to punch the guy in the face.)
    Not saying the movie was bad, just not my thing at all.

I also saw Zodiac, which I really wish I had seen on the big screen, it was so good-looking. It's a good story and it was entertaining, but it seemed to be another big Hollywood telling of an American story (ie.LA Confidential).

Trapped in the Closet - Pt.2 was all that one would hope it to be and I am now ready for part three!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Event Horizon! scared the shit out of me some years ago

over-the-top, artful psychedelic/psychotronic/psychotic horror freakout fare its best.

I had an extremely hard time with this. The phrase "the unbearable Germnan-ness of being" kept coming to mind. It was too much for me - the acting was almost unbearable and was a real obstacle to paying attention to the greater story or mood. The whole unfocused wide-eyed, gaping mouth school of acting to show madness drove me nuts. I fast-forwarded through her freak-out in the subway and Heinirich's death could not have come any sooner.

Damn, that's too bad. I thought they were channeling some Kinski with their acting (which is a good thing -- or is to me, anyway)... and I will say the two people I've known who've gone "insane" both looked and acted a lot like Adjani and Neil in this film.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    MT FAVORED ERA OF HORROR IS THE 80'S. A FEW OF THE MORE OVERLOOKED CLASSICS FROM THAT PERIOD

MANIAC COP SERIES - GOES REAL HARD!

PHANTASM SERIES - ESPECIALLY 2.

CRITTERS SERIES - ALL HEAVY HITTIN UPTO 3. AFTER THAT FUCK THAT SHIT

LEPRECHAUN SERIES - NICE UPTO THE SPACE JOINT WHICH IS PURE WACK. LEPRACHAUN IN THE HOOD ISNT BAD

CLOWNHOUSE - HOT FIRE

SHOCKER - ONE OF WES CRAVEN'S BEST. MULDERS BOSS FROM X-FILES IS THE BAD GUY. DONT SLEEP.

tard.

I had an extremely hard time with this. The phrase "the unbearable Germnan-ness of being" kept coming to mind. It was too much for me - the acting was almost unbearable and was a real obstacle to paying attention to the greater story or mood.

Damn, that's too bad. I thought they were channeling some Kinski with their acting (which is a good thing -- or is to me, anyway)...

lol - I know what you mean, but there is only one Kinski and I guess only Kinski should do Kinski.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    MT FAVORED ERA OF HORROR IS THE 80'S. A FEW OF THE MORE OVERLOOKED CLASSICS FROM THAT PERIOD

MANIAC COP SERIES - GOES REAL HARD!

PHANTASM SERIES - ESPECIALLY 2.

CRITTERS SERIES - ALL HEAVY HITTIN UPTO 3. AFTER THAT FUCK THAT SHIT

LEPRECHAUN SERIES - NICE UPTO THE SPACE JOINT WHICH IS PURE WACK. LEPRACHAUN IN THE HOOD ISNT BAD

CLOWNHOUSE - HOT FIRE

SHOCKER - ONE OF WES CRAVEN'S BEST. MULDERS BOSS FROM X-FILES IS THE BAD GUY. DONT SLEEP.

tard.

U MISPELT HARD U BIG HOMO

U MEAN LIKE THE HARD-ON YOU HAVE FOR ME, MARY?