Dub Step

wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
what can I say?

  Comments


  • spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    This was actually going to be my next thread, cause I've heard some great stuff but also some real garbage (isn't a lot of this stuff made by 15 year-old British kids in their parents basements?).

    There was a dubstep remix of JT's "My Love" that was great.

  • PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Skream's "Midnight Request Line" was kind of a jam.

    So what's the deal, is this shit dead already? Or have they changed the BPM and called it something else entirely?

  • cardovacardova 743 Posts
    The scene in London is active and quite big, but that's about it.

  • pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    out here every dj plays that shit. No hip hop, just dub step parties. Used to be Drum and bass now its that. I think its mediocre and a few tracks are cool but there are whole nights devoted to it round here. Hip hop and rare groove djs cant get nights but these dudes always seem to have a few monthly nights.

  • It's gaining momentum out here in New Zealand.
    More and more nights popping up, radio shows etc. A lot of 50/50 drum n bass/dubstep gigs as a fair sized chunk of the market is drawing on drum n bass fans (jaded or otherwise) looking for a sound and a production vibe that has long since passed (other than a few artists) in the D&B scene (huge subby basslines and ragga/reggae inspired/sampled content).

    there is some AWESOME dubstep getting made, but it is (the same as drum n bass at the moment) buried in a large pile of mediocrity.

    some of the best stuff I've heard is on the fringes of the genre ('burial' for example) and personally, the slightly more techno/soundscape oriented stuff is what appeals to me. That said, some of the stuff coming from the main london/uk players is very good, and very true to the old school london sound system 'sound'.

    there is a LARGE amount of (to me) unlistenable, wobbley filler out there...
    a lot of people with a few ragga sample packs, chucking 'JAH!' samples over some pretty thrown together beats and basslines...but dont let that stop you digging deeper if you have an interest.

    heres a dubstep track of mine that is getting some 1200 time in the UK, and hopefully will be released in the new year...
    its VERY chilled out.


  • kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I love it, but I don't think I could handle a whole night of it. It seems to me that it would go great with some grime, some good minimal and some quality down tempo stuff.

    I'm enjoying the fact that it is quite different though. Skream and Burial are where it's at for me.

  • ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Dubstep, like D'n'B, is 99% crap. Fortunately, the remaining 1% redeems the genre.
    Soul Jazz Records recently put out a good comp that covers part of the latter:


  • LamontLamont 1,087 Posts
    Dubstep, like D'n'B, is 99% crap. Fortunately, the remaining 1% redeems the genre.



    oh boy, what kind of statement is that ?

  • jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Digital mystikz KILLS it!!!

  • wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    "burning marijuana down the highway, the eyespray, get's into my headdd"

  • p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    "burning marijuana down the highway, the eyespray, get's into my headdd"

    yes, the Coki remix of Richie Spice's Marijuana is big...

    "night" by benga and coki is like the new "request line", the cross over song... sounds like house done w/ smoked out production values...

    i like "totured" by coki... catchy as hell...

    almost anything by Skream, Vex'd, Loefah (his remixes of "50,000 watts" by matty g and 'jah war" by the Bug and Flo Dan are both heavy as hell... on a good system they are mindblowing...) is worth checking out... there are plenty of boring dubstep tunes, but plenty of really solid ones...

  • jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    new burial album out soon. hope he is once again

  • MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    It seems like there's only a few good, consistent dubstep producers, basically Skream, Benga and Digital Mystikz. That's about it as far as I'm concerned, maybe the odd Shackleton track. Skreams "Pass the Red Stripe", the B-side to a 12" released from the Soul Jazz comp, is absolutely amazing. But there's to many flutes, whales and shamans on a lot of dubstep tracks. Less New Age, more Bladerunner, that's what dubstep needs IMHO.

  • m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Can anyone point me in the direction of some good dubstep mixes? My knowledge of the genre is limited and I need schooling.

  • Can anyone point me in the direction of some good dubstep mixes? My knowledge of the genre is limited and I need schooling.
    http://www.barefiles.com/files.php?PHPSESSID=cbc912651bb63c49fdaaacbc621dda4a

  • BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    WHat the hell?

    no. just no.

  • MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 854 Posts
    Like it loads. Very promising but likely to end up as bland as the current drum'n'bass genre.

  • "burning marijuana down the highway, the eyespray, get's into my headdd"


    How is that in any way better than the Richie Spice original?

    Wait--it isn't.

  • onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    new burial album out soon. hope he is once again

    I was deeply disappointed in that Burial album, which I have to admit was my introduction to this whole dubstep thing.

    Wire magazine, which I turn to a lot for new music cues, hyped the hell out of that record, and their description of it as a concept album about a dystopian future London after a Katrina-level disaster really fired up my imagination.

    Instead, what my ears heard was murky, dreary sounds that bored me to tears.

    And the other dubstep I've explored, at best, sounds like material that could've been released on the Wordsound label in the late 90s.

    All of which makes me annoyed when media outlets like Pitchfork hype dubstep as the next big thing, seemingly because it was time for another next big thing and nothing else presented itself.

  • p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    But there's to many flutes, whales and shamans on a lot of dubstep tracks. Less New Age, more Bladerunner, that's what dubstep needs IMHO.

    avoid Burial, check out stuff on Skull Disco and Tempa...

  • p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    "burning marijuana down the highway, the eyespray, get's into my headdd"


    How is that in any way better than the Richie Spice original?

    Wait--it isn't.



    have you heard it?

    i way prefer it to the original and i liked the original ALOT...

  • piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Some of it is quite interesting, most of it is simply boring. I can't really see the difference to certain genres of drum and bass (except the bpm) yet. I also agree that it's basically another London thing, hyped by the enthusiastic UK press. Dubstep did not really take off in Germany so far.
    However, for new releases and just to get an idea, hardwax usually offers a decent selection of stuff (including soundclips): http://hardwax.com/dubstep/.

  • MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    But there's to many flutes, whales and shamans on a lot of dubstep tracks. Less New Age, more Bladerunner, that's what dubstep needs IMHO.

    avoid Burial, check out stuff on Skull Disco and Tempa...

    Oh, trust me, I'm staying away from Burial. For the same reasons as Onenet... Bengas "Evolution", now that's more like it! Anyone know where I can get it on vinyl?

  • piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Bengas "Evolution", now that's more like it! Anyone know where I can get it on vinyl?
    http://hardwax.com/52391/
Sign In or Register to comment.