The Lauryn Hill Chronicles

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Alright, what happened to baby girl. A friend of mine, a journalist, spent the day with her a couple of years ago and said she was interesting but was non-stop with the Jesus beat. I need details, events, all the real deal gossip you got. Did the Marley family fuck her head up or something? Plaese to explain the whole story.

Comments

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Lauryn Hill: Faking the Funk...... says Wyclef

http://www.scratchmagazine.com/online/?p=368

Shes Pregnant with her 5th child (Bob Marleys son is the baby daddy) its his 7th

That is the most current information, I think.

Edit:

I don't know if "they"
    ( sorry Edit Again )
    Fucked up her head
    or if Jesus did.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Wyclef is the problem go back to working with Shakira. I can't stand anything he does.

- spidey

My grandma entered a contest once to name the new mall but she couldn't get there in time so she had her friend drop it off for her. Her "friend" erased her name and added her own and the name was picked!

I guess I have a grudge against cheaters, I'm not feeling either of them really.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    What was her suggestion for mall name?

Who trusts there friend to drop off there suggestion for mall name?

What did your grandma do?

What's your grandma's favorite Texas rap artist?

spidey

What's your grandma's favorite Texas rap artist?

Big Lurch.

• I feel sad when i look at where Ms Marley is now - i had pretty high hopes for her. Those hopes were probably part of the reason that things happened the way they did.

The only insightful read i have had re: what happened to Lauren? was an article in the book below btw.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Lauryn Hill: Faking the Funk...... says Wyclef

Scurry clown right here.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    "Earlier this year, Lauryn's Fugees bandmate, Wyclef Jean, said she was in desperate need of "psychiatric help".

He said: "Lauryn Hill, Mrs. Hill, The Hill, should go see a psychiatrist - period. Just seek help. At this point, I really think it will take an act of God to change her, because she is that far out there." "

I think she has been able to opt out of the game (Western Capitalism) for too long and now she has lost the desire to fit back in. It's OK when you have mounds of gold to keep you going, otherwise you end up as a bag lady.

She's already started on the costume though.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

I think she has been able to opt out of the game (Western Capitalism) for too long and now she has lost the desire to fit back in.

How did she opt out of capitalism?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

I think she has been able to opt out of the game (Western Capitalism) for too long and now she has lost the desire to fit back in.

Well, not literally, but she obviously made a conscious decision to step off the treadmill as far as a solo career was concerned.

There were some big sample clearance issues on "The Score" where the Fugees took some heavy hits, and let's not forget that their biggest song was a cover, so she may not be quite as wealthy as people might imagine. Nevertheless, there doesn't seem to be any real need on her part, either financially or artistically, to hurry back to the game.

• This is like that time Lucille Ball dressed up like Harpo Marx.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

Well, not literally, but she obviously made a conscious decision to step off the treadmill as far as a solo career was concerned.

There were some big sample clearance issues on "The Score" where the Fugees took some heavy hits, and let's not forget that their biggest song was a cover, so she may not be quite as wealthy as people might imagine. Nevertheless, there doesn't seem to be any real need on her part, either financially or artistically, to hurry back to the game.

That may be true, but she still has a few platinum albums under her belt, so I don't see her making bag lady status any time soon.

• so I don't see her making bag lady status any time soon.

Maybe not in financial terms, but she definitely has a style influenced by the bat shit crazy that makes bag ladies so endearing.

• Didnt Talib have a song about her..basically saying she needs help or some shit? Or am I just imagining I heard something like that?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts

If you read her interviews from a few years back, IIRC she never wanted to be portrayed in the way the record company insisted she be portrayed in order to shift units. She basically didn't want herself or her "Art" to be treated like supermarket product and ride the commercial promotion bandwagon that goes with such deals.

You can imagine the record companies have well-oiled machines for promoting acts that fit the right pigeonholes and she felt the pigeonhole they'd reserved for her wasn't to her liking. They would be lining her up on the Mary J or Mariah conveyor belt, perhaps. Play the game and we'll all make million$. She said something like the Lauryn Hill you saw on TV wasn't really what she was about.

Hence her desire to have kids and not make music. I can understand that if she can support herself and her family without needing a major deal or even having to work again, but I think the relationship with Marley has messed with her head. I heard rumour of a nervous breakdown a while back.

Whatever the truth is, she can still afford to call the shots and is therefore seemingly lost according to Wyclef. I think I believe his side of things, he seems fairly grounded (as much as you can get when you own a Mclaren F1).

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

That may be true, but she still has a few solo[/b] platinum albums under her own name, minus the Fugees[/b], so I don't see her making bag lady status any time soon.

• Wyclef is the problem go back to working with Shakira. I can't stand anything he does.

- spidey

yea, i kinda like all of 'em except for Pras, but wyclef has sorta turned into akon status with the cheese he puts out. if lauryn did come back with something, i can see her wanting to separate herself from him....and justifiably so. her one real solo album will be played for a long time. not so sure about the Carnival or clef's second album with that ode to strippers song and duet with willie nelson.

that summer when the remixes to nappy heads and vocab dropped, that was pretty huge. if the fugees stuck to the og formula, i'm sure they'd be huge again.

• Don't forget that Lauren tried to rip off the entire supporting cast of her solo record, was sued, and had to cough up a good bit of credit - and dough - to the people who *actually* did the music on it.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

That may be true, but she still has a few solo[/b] platinum albums under her own name, minus the Fugees[/b], so I don't see her making bag lady status any time soon.

I believe "The Score" went multi-platinum.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Don't forget that Lauren tried to rip off the entire supporting cast of her solo record, was sued, and had to cough up a good bit of credit - and dough - to the people who *actually* did the music on it.

And don't underestimate the ability of an insane person to burn through money.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I believe "The Score" went multi-platinum.

Yeah, but since The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill was such a massive album in its' own right, why keep going back to something she did with the Fugees? As if she's done nothing since? Paul McCartney had some million sellers and you can bet nobody kept measuring those records - saleswise - up against the Beatles.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Don't forget that Lauren tried to rip off the entire supporting cast of her solo record, was sued, and had to cough up a good bit of credit - and dough - to the people who *actually* did the music on it.

And don't underestimate the ability of an insane person and their hangers on[/b] to burn through money.

A co-worker and I were just this morning wondering aloud about Lauryn's ability to come back. Her reponse: "nah, she's gone for good."

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

And don't underestimate the ability of an insane person and their hangers on[/b] to burn through money.

A co-worker and I were just this morning wondering aloud about Lauryn's ability to come back. Her reponse: "nah, she's gone for good."

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm referring to--who knows how many millions have been squandered by her "spiritual advisor".

If she was ever going to make important music again, she would have done it by now--she's done. This is an artistically incapacitating level of crazy.

Paul McCartney had some million sellers and you can bet nobody kept measuring those records - saleswise - up against the Beatles.

On the contrary, pretty much everything McCartney's done as a solo act has lived in the shadow of the Beatles. Even when he's had really big sellers, like "Mull of Kintyre" (which, although a b-side in the US, sold over two million copies in the UK, more than any Beatles single ever did), he's had to endure some people dismissing them as trite, no matter how popular they were with the public.

• that summer when the remixes to nappy heads and vocab dropped, that was pretty huge. if the fugees stuck to the og formula, i'm sure they'd be huge again.

But as you state, those were both remixes. I bought the album off the strength of those singles and was floored by how awful it was. So if they stuck to their original formula, they'd still be horrible.

Also: "15 years ago" is better than "now"?

That episode, and some of the sample issues on "The Score" (Enya, Cymande), would have tied her money up for a very long time.

You could argue that, just with "Miseducation", she's made her mark. Someone said to me a while ago that there's probably an entire generation of black women who are on some "ride or die" shit for Lauryn on the strength of that record alone.

• there's probably an entire generation of women[/b] who are on some "ride or die" shit for Lauryn on the strength of that record alone.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

This is like that time Lucille Ball dressed up like Harpo Marx.

I like those pants.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

If she was ever going to make important music again, she would have done it by now--she's done. This is an artistically incapacitating level of crazy.

Please to see: Sly Stone.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Please to see: Sly Stone.
    That actually looks like one of Sly's 80s leather vests she's sporting.