Cosmic Slop Shop (Bay Area Rap Related)

emyndemynd 830 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I picked up this used CD a couple weeks ago, and even though I slept on it when it dropped back in '98, I'm having no problem loving it now. The obvious sidenote to this album is that, yes, one if its members, Big Lurch, ate a woman, but the less obvious thing to say about it is that it's awesome. Rick Rock (yes, that Rick Rock) is on a lot of the beats, but unfortunately there isn't a great deal (if any) of proto-hyphyness going on. In fact, there are virtually no aesthetic similarities between the production on here and the stuff we're all more familiar with (which actually makes me appreciate dude's range). The beats are of more melodic, synthy, eerie tone that isn't particularly show-stealing, but it definitely works and sets the tone for the rest of the album. And, man, I'm really into the rapping. It's not terribly complex stuff, but dudes do the whole interesting rhythmic stuff (a la the Blowed?) that I will always find compelling. Choppin' here and there and putting that charismatic Bay area charm to good use (PAUSE).Some weirdo made them a myspace page.Anyway, if you slept on this album like me peep it (but not you faux--you'll likely hate it).-e

Comments

• Was Goldie in this group as well? He said something about it in a song on the recent Federation album.

• Oh, I guess it was Doonie.

• Big Lurch, ate a woman

Whoa, Brotha Lynch Hung fantasy realized...

Anyway, I remember seeing this album in the used bin all the time in 98/99 when I worked at a record store in NC, never checked it out. I'd like to check it out though, care to upload it? If not, I'll just keep my eye out for it.

• Big Lurch, ate a woman

Anyway, I remember seeing this album in the used bin all the time in 98/99 when I worked at a record store in NC, never checked it out. I'd like to check it out though, care to upload it? If not, I'll just keep my eye out for it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    INTO 2MEX AT THE TIME

• Big Lurch, ate a woman

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    INTO 2MEX AT THE TIME

I don't know if I knew a lot about 2mex yet, actually. But he's a good dude. Can't say I listen to a lot of his stuff these days, but he was nice enough to take me to Record Surplus and a couple other spots in LA last time I was there.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Big Lurch, ate a woman

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    INTO 2MEX AT THE TIME

I don't know if I knew a lot about 2mex yet, actually. But he's a good dude. Can't say I listen to a lot of his stuff these days, but he was nice enough to take me to Record Surplus and a couple other spots in LA last time I was there.

No, it's supposed to make you look bad to admit to ever liking 2Mex.

C'mon now, at least feel bad for lil dude's sake.

• Big Lurch, ate a woman

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    INTO 2MEX AT THE TIME

You know I'm just funning, I would bump the heeeeeeeell out of "Exitos y mas Exitos" when I got it. When I was purging a lot of the rarer indie stuff in that style I decided to keep that EP.

• Haha, I'M SO EMBARRASSED THAT I LIKED 2MEX.

Better?

• Big Lurch, ate a woman

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    INTO 2MEX AT THE TIME

You know I'm just funning, I would bump the heeeeeeeell out of "Exitos y mas Exitos" when I got it. When I was purging a lot of the rarer indie stuff in that style I decided to keep that EP.

Me too. I think I still have that. I was working on music with Xololanxinxo for a while. Not sure if he ever used any of my stuff or not, I kind of lost touch. I don't really get into that stuff these days but I did keep certain records that I will always have at least some interest in. I used to be pretty inspired by the home boy Deeskee when I was still sampling a lot and making a lot of beats. He is a good guy, always supported my efforts. There's some good people out there on the west coast.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    There's some good people out there on the west coast...that I must now completely disassociate myself from for fear that infernal lil dudes will someday call me out for ever giving a shit about them. [/b]

• Soulstrut realness level aside, I got really put off by indie rap in general a few years back when going through some negative local experience realization shit and I just never really got back into it. I've always liked several different veins of lots of different kinds of music, but I currently enjoy more commercial music in the world of rap. However, I have been into bay area stuff forever, indie, commercial, gangster/hustler, etc, as well as commercial rap from other regions. I grew up around DJ's so I try not to hate on any music, I guess you just kinda grow out of certain shit. I was pretty into west coast indie stuff, I even had some Blowed guys (Mikah 9, Riddlore, Xololanxinxo, Omid, 2mex and others) in my studio at home before, and those were all cool and fun experiences. The same music just doesn't do it for me anymore. I'm not ashamed of any of that stuff though. I know you're somewhat joking, but I know how it is around here. You can get clowned for liking just about anything.

• Big Lurch, ate a woman

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    INTO 2MEX AT THE TIME

And also you were passively lobbing a carpetbagguer gloss at dude, no?

• Big Lurch, ate a woman

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    INTO 2MEX AT THE TIME

I am a confirmed carpetbaggeur. I had an embarrassing moment of carpetbagging realization in a lil' wayne thread last year. But you know, forgive and forget, move on...

• 'Sokay, GB, my path has apparently been incorrect all along as well. Somehow I soldier on.......

• Big Lurch, ate a woman

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    INTO 2MEX AT THE TIME

good one on ye mate.

I actually met GBallindo a while back, actually during the aforementioned "indie" era.

GB:

TAKE ANY LEAKS IN A ALLEY LATELY?????

• Big Lurch, ate a woman

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    INTO 2MEX AT THE TIME

good one on ye mate.

I actually met GBallindo a while back, actually during the aforementioned "indie" era.

GB:

TAKE ANY LEAKS IN A ALLEY LATELY?????

haha,

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I got this a while ago off soulseek while looking for an advance of the new federation album. It didn't really do much for me. The cannibal thing has got to be the craziest thing I've heard in a minute.