A good Mic for (female) RB vocals and rap?

OrangeYoghurtOrangeYoghurt 210 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I like to get me a mic, but dont know wich one to get.Everyone says to get a condenser-mic. Hiphop fans who probably never seen a mic before always say shure sm58. Others say that the old jazz-vocalists used ribbon-mics (dont know if thats true)I like the Julie London sound and close-micing..Any suggestions?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    famale

I think you mean "tamale".

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    I liek to get me a mic, but dont know wich one to get.
    Everyone says to get a condenser mic. Hiphop fans who probably never seen a mic before always say shure sm58.
    Others say that the old jazz-vocalists used ribbon mics (dont know if thats true)

I like the julie london sound and close micing..
    Any suggestions?
    whats your budget like? For vocals i prefer large diaphragm condenser mics. If you have the money look into one in the $500 and up range. If not shure and akg make some cheaper model condensers in the $150 to $500 range. Sm58 are better for live perform aces instead of studio recording of vocals imo. I think you get better tonality and presence with a condenser then with a dynamic. Ribbons are cool but very expensive and very easy to break or distort while doing VOX.

oh and also a nice pre amp works wonders. It doesnt help to go out and get a $1000+ mic and run it through a behringer board. This should also be a big concern with your purchase.

• Hi, my budget is $150 for a mic.

And I corrected the spellingmistakes (sorry.);)

Yes, I just read up on that no mic will sound good wthout proper pre's
    Mmm.. Are cheap tube-pre's a good choice or just crap? I;m still curious about the ribbon-sound tho.

• I've used a studio projects c3 for about 4 years now and it's been great. It is a multi-pattern condenser mic (cardiod, figure 8, omni), versatile, great quality, affordable. I have done rap and female vocals on this thing and have always been impressed with the quality I get (without a decent mic pre I might add). I've also recorded acoustic guitar, percussion, and other various types of recordings with it. It's a great mic for the price (around $300), and would probably blow you away paired with the proper mic pre-amp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STUDIO-PROJECTS-C3-F...VQQcmdZViewItem

well with that budget ribbon is out of the question. Cheap pres will get the job done but you get what you pay for.

• Hi, my budget is $150 for a mic.

And I corrected the spellingmistakes (sorry.);)

Yes, I just read up on that no mic will sound good wthout proper pre's
    Mmm.. Are cheap tube-pre's a good choice or just crap? I;m still curious about the ribbon-sound tho.

To be honest, you're not going to get much for $150 in the way of a condenser mic/tube amp combo. You should just get some dirt cheap shit to learn with and then upgrade to something decent when you're comfortable/have the money. I can't speak on ribbon mics, because I have no experience. However, if you're interest, I have an ART Tube Amp and a Marshall MXL condenser I could sell you for $75 (for both) plus a couple bucks for shipping. This was my first mic/pre combo and I recorded a lot of music with it. The mic was originally about $100, pre was about $80. Feel free to PM me if you want them.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Don't buy a ribbon as your first mic. They require great preamps to drive and will break if you try to do vocals with them and aren't experienced. They have an interesting sound but aren't all-purpose mics at all.

Audio-Technica has a mic that was selling around $200 that got some rave reviews. I forget the model, but you can find it if you do a search on gearslutz.com

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    MXL v67 gold edition... best LDC under $300 easily

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    I think those MXLs are all pretty awesome for the price. I bought an MXL large diaphragm condenser five years ago for $150 and I think it's the same model they practically give away now. You can get it in a package with a thin small profile for peanuts, I think I saw a deal with the 2 mics and a Tascam interface for $200. I finally reaquired that MXL because about a year ago I brought it to a friends studio for a session and he used it to mic the room and liked it better than the one he had which had even cost a bit more. I had the opportunity to take it back the other day, I hope he didn't sell his other one.
    He has some really nice shit in there, but he's not dipped to the Nevest like others, so I think he made more of a character choice and I was always flattered he kept using it and avoided getting it back to me!

Big $$$ equipment kind of lost its luster for me, it sounds awesome, and truly I don't know what it's like to have invested the majority of ones time in recording every day in and out, or truly analyzing and digesting your recorded material to the point where each equipment subtley is so outstandingly apparent where you know all your shit that well and can hear it breathing, but I think it's really how well you know all that equipment too that becomes a big part of how good a sound you get. Ive seen an arsenal of neves do what I thought was nothing special for an intern, this is speaking from the jerkoff perspective of a player so I've bit my tongue, but I call a spade a spade for myself and realize not all that $ is the final answer.

At home all I have is an inexpensive mic pre and an mbox1 and when I got that budget condenser I was just so psyched to witness that evolution of sound for myself in my own little space and youll probably get to still experience it fully without buying the $500 brand.

Ive been interested in owning a Blue mic at home, Ive got to use them a couple of times and they aren't too expensive, but that gold MXL is probably just as awesome.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    v67g is Also a KILLER drum mic

Glyn Jhons stlye

i think i paid abotu $75 for mine.. they are STOOPID cheap.. my buddy who owns alot of classic mics, beyer 26o ribbons, senn 421's etc etc.. borrowed my v67g and ended up loving it so much he bought 2 off ebay to use as stereo overheads for drums.

there is cheap GOOD gear...

I've got a modded (upgraded tubes / opamps) bellari toob pre and a focusrite platinum trackmaster pro (how can this NOT be hip hop?).. both were well under $200.