supplements - anyone use em?

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Anyone take any supplements? Ive been taking melotonin at night to sleep better and its working out pretty good. It might be a good thing to mess with if you smoke pot also. Supposedly you deplete massive amounts of it when you puff and by taking it at night you will feel well rested and it also may fights some of the adverse mental effects herb may have over time.http://forums.cannabisculture.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1172624/site_id/1#import im also trying 5-htp now daily and this shit makes me feel tits when i take it. I just feel very pleasant and relaxed while using it. It works by promoting serotonin production in your brain. more info herehttp://www.5htp.com/i also use this in almost everything i eat, ground flax seed. It is a wonder plant. Has loads of fiber, omega 3 acids which are the healthy fats that are found in fish that lower cholestrel and help heart disease. It has a nutty taste and can go in everything you cook from eggs, pasta, meat, cereal, whatever. I sprinkle a teaspoon into whatever im making. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaxwhat do you guys mess with if anything?

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I don't trust a lot of the stuff out there but I swear by this stuff:

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I don't trust a lot of the stuff out there but I swear by this stuff:

Looks can be deceiving. I tried that shit on recommendation of my co-worker, and I avoided a couple oncoming colds.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    One of my mates works in a vitamin/supplement warehouse. He hooked me up with some MegaMensMultis w Selenium, Brahmi, Korean Ginseng and Enzyme Q10. i've been popping one of each every morning for about a month,

He also hooked me up last week with some Tribulus Max, for "special men's needs". I'll prolly throw some of that in the mix too.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Liquimax MultiVitamin Formula Complete Nutrition Plus Antioxidants, Omega 3, 6, & 9, Coenzyme Q10, Amino Acids and Herbs

• Is this stuff really necessary if you eat a normal varied diet?

Dress

• I don't trust a lot of the stuff out there but I swear by this stuff:

me too!!! I take this twice a day when I'm on the road, though I rock the tangerine!

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I take drops of astragalus every day as an immune booster. Similar to echinacea, with the important difference that you're not supposed to take echinacea for prolonged periods of times, but just as an occassional booster; astragalus can be taken daily year-round.

Between that and eating more garlic and shiitake mushrooms (both considered good for the immiune system), I went from getting 5-6 colds a year during my late teens and early twenties to maybe 1 cold a year the past few.

I also use flax-seed oil; I've heard this can be helpful for anyone, but especially for vegetarians and vegans (I eat all vegetarian, mostly vegan).

• I take drops of astragalus every day as an immune booster. Similar to echinacea, with the important difference that you're not supposed to take echinacea for prolonged periods of times, but just as an occassional booster; astragalus can be taken daily year-round.

Between that and eating more garlic and shiitake mushrooms (both considered good for the immiune system), I went from getting 5-6 colds a year during my late teens and early twenties to maybe 1 cold a year the past few.

I also use flax-seed oil; I've heard this can be helpful for anyone, but especially for vegetarians and vegans (I eat all vegetarian, mostly vegan).

Co-sign on the astragalus. Dr. andrew weil is big on it. In china, astragalus is put in drinking water just as a course of habit. I just take that and a daily supplement. I've heard uber-vitamin C doses aren't a good idea, because at some point you have to let up, making your body more vulnerable. But it can't be dangerous, it's water-soluble, so you can't take too much of it like with fat-soluble vitamins.

Not smoking of course is huge, eating vegetables, not too much starch, etc.... I don't really go for the mega-supplements.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    Is this stuff really necessary if you eat a normal varied diet?

Dress
    ]
    a lot of these you cant get from a traditional diet. so no. They are not necessary by any means but they may improve the quality of your life if you take the right substances for you.

I've heard uber-vitamin C doses aren't a good idea, because at some point you have to let up, making your body more vulnerable. But it can't be dangerous, it's water-soluble, so you can't take too much of it like with fat-soluble vitamins.

Not smoking of course is huge, eating vegetables, not too much starch, etc.... I don't really go for the mega-supplements.

I don't know the specifics, but I believe too much Vitamin C intake can inhibit your absorption of other vitamins and nutrients.

I do take multivitamins, but I take ones formulated as "whole food" pills (meaning your body responds to the pill as food instead of a vitamin-bomb, and supposedly has an easier time assimilating it).

Also, these vitamins are the 3-a-day kind, with each pill supposedly calibrated to be about what your body can actually use with each meal. From what I've heard, when you take a one-a-day multivitamin, while they do contain these huge doses of vitamins, you piss most of it out in short order.

• I don't know the specifics, but I believe too much Vitamin C intake can inhibit your absorption of other vitamins and nutrients.

Another unwanted side effect of this is death

• I don't know the specifics, but I believe too much Vitamin C intake can inhibit your absorption of other vitamins and nutrients.

Could you elaborate on this?

how? Vitamin C is a water soluable vitamin, you just piss out the excess. I believe you can only die from an overdose of fat soluable vitamins: A,D and K, as your body cannot get rid of the excess.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I was just about to order some L-Glutamine. I want to see if it helps reduce alcohol cravings.

This is a good book about stuff like this

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

I don't know the specifics, but I believe too much Vitamin C intake can inhibit your absorption of other vitamins and nutrients.

how? Vitamin C is a water soluable vitamin, you just piss out the excess. I believe you can only die from an overdose of fat soluable vitamins: A,D and K, as your body cannot get rid of the excess.

Exactly, my understanding is that you can never have too much vitamin C (within reason of course).

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Exactly, my understanding is that you can never have too much vitamin C (within reason of course).

I dunno about death, but you do want to watch the intake levels. Vitamin C on wikipedia has an entry on this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_C#Adverse_effects

and while you have to take it with a grain of salt since it's wikipedia, a quick google search for "vitamin C overdose" corroborated what this entry's saying: too much vitamin C can cause diarrhea, inhibit iron absorption, result in kidney stones, and cause inbalances in fetal health for pregnant mothers.

For any of those symptoms, death would be an extreme and unlikely outcome, but the bottom line is you want to watch your intake. In the 70s and 80s, the attitude towards Vitamin C was basically one of magic cure-all, which now seems not just simplistic but untrue. That said, the US RDA for Vitamin C is very low... you get way more than 100% in the average glass of orange juice, and that's fine.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

It will, however, give you a wicked case of mud butt.

• It will, however, give you a wicked case of mud butt.

Which heads are those, real diarrhea heads?

• I take one of these every day:

There have been a couple times when I've gone to give blood and been deferred for low iron. This takes care of it.

• I'm really into learning and discussing supplements. Though my main interests are in other fields, I love learning about biochemistry/nutrition....

Being East Indian, I stock up on the cod liver oil as soon as the snow starts falling. I gotta look up that astragalus tho - never heard of it but it would definitely be worth it if it means less colds (which helps out at work, school)..

For workouts, I use whey protein and L-glutamine, as well as creatine when trying to gain weight.

I've recently been looking into becoming a vegan, so I've also been looking up some supplements for that (protein, B12), as it's hard to get all that stuff from a strict vegan diet.

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    You can live healthy just by eat tons of SPROUTS. They contain ALL the nutrients, proteins, vitamins that you need.

Sprouting = next level.

Automatic sprouters = Too expensive...

eatsprouts.com/gogreen.com

I've recently been looking into becoming a vegan, so I've also been looking up some supplements for that (protein, B12), as it's hard to get all that stuff from a strict vegan diet.

I ate vegan for 10 years and I'm just moving out of eating that way to more relaxed vegetarian (but still mostly organic, especially when I cook for myself).

B-12 and iron need to be watched very, very closely and in general you will need to work hard to balance your meals and make sure you take supplements regularly at appropriate amounts.