Q-tip "Amplified " REVISITED

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    yeah this album is good
    loved vivrant thing video when it dropped

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The Instramental version has 2 bonus tracks.

• I like this album--much better than the final Tribe record.

Gotta remember to lift the needle before you get to the Korn track, though.

seriously, wtf? Why did people like Korn again?

Well, I don't think it's any mystery why people who looked and dressed like the members of Korn would like them--the real question is why so many rappers were/are infatuated with such embarassing nu-metal acts.

Actually, I do have my theories about this. Just as many white kids are drawn to rap artists that represent an extreme caricature of black masculinity--the uberthug--many rappers find extreme whiteboyism engaging, possibly because they view it as representing some form of authenticity. Like how Tommy Lee always seems to be hanging out with rappers.

Real badman nah reply to dem own topic.

• I've never heard this album..somehow never got around to it when it came out(after reading all the neg. shit on the net about it..guess I better give it a listen).

I was thinking, particularly, of a then-45-year-old coworker who gushed to me that "Vivrant Thing" was her jam--I don't think any previous Tribe record had been among her jams.
    She also demanded a "birthday hug" and "birthday mixtape" from me on that same occasion, which kind of weirded out my then-22-year-old self.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I like this album--much better than the final Tribe record.

Gotta remember to lift the needle before you get to the Korn track, though.

seriously, wtf? Why did people like Korn again?

Well, I don't think it's any mystery why people who looked and dressed like the members of Korn would like them--the real question is why so many rappers were/are infatuated with such embarassing nu-metal acts.

Actually, I do have my theories about this. Just as many white kids are drawn to rap artists that represent an extreme caricature of black masculinity--the uberthug--many rappers find extreme whiteboyism engaging, possibly because they view it as representing some form of authenticity. Like how Tommy Lee always seems to be hanging out with rappers.

Real badman nah reply to dem own topic.

Do you or do you not have anything to contribute on the subjects of Tommy Lee and Korn?

I was thinking, particularly, of a then-45-year-old coworker who gushed to me that "Vivrant Thing" was her jam--I don't think any previous Tribe record had been among her jams.
    She also demanded a "birthday hug" and "birthday mixtape" from me on that same occasion, which kind of weirded out my then-22-year-old self.

Which would make me Jonathan Plummer?

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

Most rappers are disconnected from their local rock/metal experience.
    this is another thread...

Which would make me Jonathan Plummer?

Taye Diggs on the DownLow.....

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Let's Ride

All In

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I can think of no better reason to include someone on your album.

Well, I would definitely be interested in hearing Jason Hunter (Inspectah Deck) do a track with Jason Hunter (Brother J).

I never stopped playing "Breathe and Stop." That "N.T." chop job is fantastic.

• The Dilla "stans" :eyeroll: ride very hard for "Let's Ride". I always liked playing the flip of that 12'', "Higher". But yeah a good album, definetly overlooked by parts of the listening population that you would think would gush over it.

The Dilla "stans" :eyeroll: ride very hard for "Let's Ride".

Hey Stansbury--are you their offical spokesboy?

• The Dilla "stans" :eyeroll: ride very hard for "Let's Ride".

Hey Stansbury--are you their offical spokesboy?

I've been to Japan and France ( ) but also have been sort of been victim to many a "keep it real" deejay dude sets where Let's Ride get's played.

b/w

I'm in touch with the aesthetic.

I would recomend Wale's recent cover of it, but you're a jerk-ass jerk who wets the bed and cries everyday in the shower.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I still play "Let's Ride" for all sorts of crowds and it always gets a good reaction.

• I still play "Let's Ride" for all sorts of crowds and it always gets a good reaction.

you play better gigs than me.

that spinna & j-rocc shit looks ridic.

• DBADBA 8 Posts

as to what your talking about.

• Breat and Stop has some of the most memorable video girls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McL49aCzeR4

I don't know what's up with Q-Tips get up, though. Feather tongues on sneakers is pure

SAYING.

I don't know what's up with Q-Tips get up, though. Feather tongues on sneakers is pure

damn, dude is wearing a leather sarape. Though filled with some good-looking broads, that video is some mad typical late 90's-get-jiggy-with-it-type-of-schitt and has aged horribly.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Real solid album. Vivrant Thing is the song all those jiggy-era cats wish they'd made, but couldn't pull off.

Can someone explain to me what the deal is with Q-Tip's unreleased albums post-Amplified? Are any of them coming out? I heard him interviewed on the Wake Up show awhile back but dude was confusing and couldn't keep it straight.

Kamal the Abstract is permanently dead (which is where it should stay). I keep hearing noise about this new one but has there even been a single yet?

• There's two OFFICIAL singles but they're really not that great. As far as new stuff check out this this Vinyl Bootleg EP called "The Renaisance", there's some good shit on it, I'm not sure if it's entirely new material though.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Real solid album. Vivrant Thing is the song all those jiggy-era cats wish they'd made, but couldn't pull off.

Can someone explain to me what the deal is with Q-Tip's unreleased albums post-Amplified? Are any of them coming out? I heard him interviewed on the Wake Up show awhile back but dude was confusing and couldn't keep it straight.

Kamal the Abstract is permanently dead (which is where it should stay). I keep hearing noise about this new one but has there even been a single yet?

A friend of mine claims to have heard it, but the stoner can't remember where, so it might only exist in some alternate universe of his. I suspect that it got played on KMEL, and that's where he heard it.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

A friend of mine claims to have heard it, but the stoner can't remember where, so it might only exist in some alternate universe of his. I suspect that it got played on KMEL, and that's where he heard it.

The album sampler was widely available. There was probably a promo or a bootleg, too.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

The album sampler was widely available. There was probably a promo or a bootleg, too.

GRRRR. They didn't give college radio any, or at least not us. I need to step up my connections with big labels.

as to what your talking about.

Im wrong. A couple of the titles are simply altered for the dub leading me to think these tracks were bonus joints. My bad.

Thing You Do = Things We Do...etc.

I did hear a couple of tracks from that Kamal project where he attempts to sing n shit....

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Naw dudes - I'm not talking about Kamal. I'm talking about his NEW album.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    new tip (couple months),
    work it out: