Q-tip "Amplified " REVISITED

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
When this first came out I think I hated the videos more than the actual music. Then I was at a wedding a couple weeks back and they played "Breathe & Stop" and it sounded so good!Does this hold up? Anyone still bump it?oh and "Let's Ride" is also the jam!

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    When this first came out I think I hated the videos more than the actual music. Then I was at a wedding a couple weeks back and they played "Breathe & Stop" and it sounded so good!

Does this hold up?

Anyone still bump it?

oh and "Let's Ride" is also the jam!

I played it a lot when it came out. I still spin Vivrant Thing now and again, but I haven't listened to the album end-to-end for years. Apart from the track with the guy from Korn, I thought it was a pretty decent album, though.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    "Let's Ride"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I like this album--much better than the final Tribe record.

Gotta remember to lift the needle before you get to the Korn track, though.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

Apart from the track with the guy from Korn,

huh? you might have just talked me out of the purchase...

No, it's easily skippable, and it's far from the worst example of its kind.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

"I called up [Korn frontman] Jonathan Davis," Q-Tip said, "and we both had the same name. That was my name too: Jonathan Davis. So he was like, 'Yo, dude, your name's Jonathan Davis? My name's Jonathan Davis too.' And I'm like, 'My name's changed. It's not Jonathan Davis anymore.... So, you want to do this record?'"

I can think of no better reason to include someone on your album.

To be fair to Q-Tip, he was hardly the first rapper to jump into bed with Korn.

All that aside though, the track is truly dire.

• W

oh and "Let's Ride" is also the jam!

Lets Ride is a great song, I agree also that this is better than the last Tribe LP.

The shaved chest cover pic is a bit much, though.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    This is a damn good album. The public hatted his on his image which killed any buzz for the LP.

I ride for this album & the Instramental version on Wax.....str8Lava.

Underatted Banger.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I play my Breath and Stop 12" out all the time. Generally gets a good response.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Does every album become tolerable after the passing of a few years or are there still a few albums that suck?

This is a damn good album. The public hatted his on his image which killed any buzz for the LP.

Did it ("the public")?

A lot of longtime Tribe fans did, but then I think he also picked up a lot of first time female fans.

Does every album become tolerable after the passing of a few years or are there still a few albums that suck?

I dunno that this ever sucked. The chorus of disapproval from internerds (although not, one presumes, Lupe Fiasco) over Tip's decision to do a Hype Williams video with lots of booty dancers in it for Vivrant Thing was particularly memorable, albeit for all the wrong reasons. It didn't do the album a whole lot of good, even though Vivrant Thing was the biggest "in tha clubb" record Tip had had since "Award Tour".

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Did it ("the public")?

A lot of longtime Tribe fans did, but then I think he also picked up a lot of first time female fans.

Every time I see that cover, I think it's an ad for Oakley sunglasses. Not sure why.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    [quote

Every time I see that cover, I think it's an ad for Oakley sunglasses. Not sure why.

horrible typography. i think that's why i didn't buy it...

Did it ("the public")?

I had no problem w/ it as a Tribe fan. Dudes/Ladies who still see/saw him as a wooden sneaker Bonita Applebum rapper were stuck in the early ninties...IMO. Dude was doin what his contemporaries were doin.
    "Buster can do it, why cant I".

And yes it is better than Tribe's last outing. Way more contained IMO.

Did it ("the public")?

I had no problem w/ it as a Tribe fan. Dudes/Ladies who still see/saw him as a wooden sneaker Bonita Applebum rapper were stuck in the early ninties...IMO. Dude was doin what his contemporaries were doin.
    "Buster can do it, why cant I".

And yes it is better than Tribe's last outing. Way more contained IMO.

Yeah.

I was thinking, particularly, of a then-45-year-old coworker who gushed to me that "Vivrant Thing" was her jam--I don't think any previous Tribe record had been among her jams.

She also demanded a "birthday hug" and "birthday mixtape" from me on that same occasion, which kind of weirded out my then-22-year-old self.

Things U Do

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    "Vivrant Thing" & "Breath & Stop" were pretty damn big singles as I recall. I also recall most headz fronted on the album 'cause it seemed he was jumping on some jiggy bandwagon. I loved that album, thought the production was really imaginative but, yeah...

I loved that album, thought the production was really imaginative

Why do the Dilla stans never mention this record? I think it's some of his best work.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

Why do the Dilla stans never mention this record? I think it's some of his best work.

• breath & stop, vivrant thing and lets ride. all still sound good.

i don't really like q-tip without phife though.. he comes across as too cool for school and a little . phife is a lot more humble....and rightfully so.

I loved that album, thought the production was really imaginative

What, even the track w/dude from Korn?

Anyway, wasn't there still a fairly vocal "Jaydee ruined Tribe" camp when that record dropped? That might have something to do with it. I agree, though - even though there's a couple of loop-based tracks, most of the beats on it knock every bit as hard as his later-period work.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    this album came out at the peak of my love for jay dee,
    so it obviously got more than enough spins (as did the final tribe album)

but when i first saw that korn was on the record,
    i thought it was an attempt at a crossover.
    which was kind of unnecessary since every white person
    i know owns at least 1 tribe album.

ive still never hears the full track.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts

Anyway, wasn't there still a fairly vocal "Jaydee ruined Tribe" camp when that record dropped?

probably the same people that scrounged for mp3s after his his passing.
    but i wont get that ball rolling again.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Real solid album. Vivrant Thing is the song all those jiggy-era cats wish they'd made, but couldn't pull off.

Can someone explain to me what the deal is with Q-Tip's unreleased albums post-Amplified? Are any of them coming out? I heard him interviewed on the Wake Up show awhile back but dude was confusing and couldn't keep it straight.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

seriously, wtf? Why did people like Korn again?

I dig the singles on this LP.

Well, I don't think it's any mystery why people who looked and dressed like the members of Korn would like them--the real question is why so many rappers were/are infatuated with such embarassing nu-metal acts.

• I like this album--much better than the final Tribe record.

Well, I don't think it's any mystery why people who looked and dressed like the members of Korn would like them--the real question is why so many rappers were/are infatuated with such embarassing nu-metal acts.

Most rappers are disconnected from their local rock/metal experience.

Actually, I do have my theories about this. Just as many white kids are drawn to rap artists that represent an extreme caricature of black masculinity--the uberthug--many rappers find extreme whiteboyism engaging, possibly because they view it as representing some form of authenticity. Like how Tommy Lee always seems to be hanging out with rappers.