D??lek

BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
What's your opinion on this hip-hop group?I ask because, 1) they have enjoyed longevity, 2) been able to make a living while avoiding the common financial pitfalls of rap dudes, 3) toured the world several times over with a crazy array of people (Mastadon, Zu, De La, Magicicada, Prince Paul, Destructo Swarmbots, etc.), 4) played to crazy huge crowds in Europe and 4 people in NYC, 5) they are generally nice guys and it seems like soulstrut will have an impulsive aversion to them. Not trolling for silliness, but generally interested in hearing your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    I met one of them a few years ago at his manager's wedding. I wasn't up on their music and he had his manager send me one of their 12"s the next week. I don't even remember his name, I think he was hispanic though. Real nice guy. I remembering liking the record but it didn't go with what I was "playing out" at the time so it got put aside and forgotten about unfortunately. Forgot about them until I saw this thread, and it's nice to see they've done well.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Never heard of them? Where are they from? Do they roll Lacs on Ds? Do they smoke chronic kush? Have they been locked up on Rikers? Do they have Superhead's number in they cell phone? Are they real hip-hop? How many times they been shot?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    What's your opinion on this hip-hop group?

I'm with Big Chan (never heard of 'em), so my opinion is as yet unformed.

KNOWLEDGE ME, GAWD.

Not trolling for silliness, but generally interested in hearing your thoughts.

• I admire the intent, but the actual music leaves me cold. Unfortunately this has been my experience with most "leftfield" hip-hop.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    They used to spend a lot of time in my living room.

They're pretty decent dudes, I don't like their music though.

I thought it was funny that they hated other "underground" rapp that was closer to their music than the more party-oriented stuff they actually listened to.

One of them tore the Eye Candy out of XXL in the bathroom one time but its hard to hold that against guys who're spending weeks on the road.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    (never heard of 'em)

older song

new song (katrina commentary)

Definitely not "club friendly."

Chan, they're from Jersey, roll deep, but are more like My Bloody Valentine than Artifacts...

[color:pink] Full Discloure: I ate Kielbasa w/ them today (ayo!) [/color]

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    (never heard of 'em)

older song

Chan, they're from Jersey, roll deep, but are more like My Bloody Valentine than Artifacts...

Thank you. PERFECT description. LOL.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

I like this kind of mellow rap music, always have. Problem is, their fanbase might overlap with jamband fanbase, which would really kill it for me. I no longer follow/listen to Spearhead for this reason (though I still respect Michael Franti a great deal - BEATNIGS STAND UP!).

It reminds me a lot of Spirit Agent, but I think I'm the only person in the universe that has heard of that group. I'd be glad to be proved wrong in that, though. Has anyone heard the Spirit Agent record? It came out around 2002?

I'm not really feeling this one as much. I like the impulse, but the execution is wrong to me somehow. The music is not that interesting, the beat feels added on, and the lyrics don't match either the music or the beat particularly well. I do like the part where they drop in the music that sounds kinda like a bagpipe sample.

You could drop this into an IDM set in some middle-sized European city and plastic-frame glasses would nod in knowing appreciation, before going back to pretending like they are not paying attention.

[color:pink]Keep your Kielbasa in your mouth (ayo!) [/color]

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    ...I don't like their music though.

Hey,

This sums up my take on the 2 songs posted. if I'm really generous in my critique. I don't get the appeal and I couldn't imagine enduring a full 12-song CD of their music (which holds for probably 95% of rap for me right now), but to each is own. Different, while intriguing, isn't always good.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I admire the intent, but the actual music leaves me cold.

This is close to where I sit.

I assume I dismiss more rap than most of the registered users here, and I would have likely dismissed them had I not become friends with a few of the dudes in their crew. I admire how they just don't give a shit and focus completely on what they want to do. I've had similar experiences with Thalia Zedek or Debris or The Coup, where the sound isn't my favorite thing about the band but regardless I am compelled to listen to them because their conviction is inspiring.

• (never heard of 'em)

older song

[color:pink] Full Discloure: I ate Kielbasa w/ them today (ayo!) [/color]

Dig the tracks, thanks for the heads-up e***! I guess I can google them up, but do they have full-lengths out you'd recommend?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    (never heard of 'em)

older song

Thank you. PERFECT description. LOL.

Hahaha yeah that sums it up well.

If you like this kind of music I have stacks of promo CDs of similar junk that I will send you for the price of postage. Not kidding.

Problem is, their fanbase might overlap with jamband fanbase, which would really kill it for me.

I don't think they attract the jamband crowd as much as the noisefest crowd. Google Destructo Swarmbots, Zu, Magicidada for a cross-section of their fanbase.

Dig the tracks, thanks for the heads-up e***! I guess I can google them up, but do they have full-lengths out you'd recommend?

Negro Necro Nekros or Absence seem like appropriate starting places.

[color:pink](I enjoy listening to Whitehouse and Chrome, so...) [/color]

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    if you had asked this six years ago, i'd be like "fuck yeah!"

i really liked the work they did with techno animal. but my interest in their music, along with most of the futuristic/industrial/apocaliptic hip hop from the beginning of the millenium, has all but faded.

though i would still ride for rubberoom

• Count me in the "theory over practice" camp on Dalek. I almost have to question why/how anyone could rap over soundscapes so dense/intense. Always had problems making out the lyrics.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    if you had asked this six years ago, i'd be like "fuck yeah!"
    my interest in their music, along with most of the futuristic/industrial/apocaliptic hip hop from the beginning of the millenium, has all but faded.

my thoughts exactly... they did a record with Faust so props are deserved.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    I love them. Seen them perform once, and it was great. It was after their Absence release, the summer of 2005. I love the My Bloody Valentine/shoegaze sound they have on that album.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    If you like this kind of music I have stacks of promo CDs of similar junk that I will send you for the price of postage.

I'm listening...

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I saw them open up for Tomahawk in Detroit a few years ago. And they didnt stand a chance against a sea of Mr Bungle fans.