Can someone explain the appeal of Reel to Reel?

erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I understand some of the advantages of reel to reel- sound quality, editing capability, rarity, etc.- but I consistently see the crappiest and commonest of common albums (Mantovani's Greatest Hits, Lynn Anderson Sings Songs from Oklahoma, etc.) selling for $5 and up on ebay. It seems as if people will buy anything in this format. I've seen the same phenomenon with audiophile versions of common records, but I guess I'm surprised to see it with an even more outmoded medium. Am I missing something?I'm ashamed to admit that I once passed up a sealed reel to reel copy of Bill Doggett's "Honky Tonk Popcorn" out of ignorance of a) the album, and b) the format. Even under those circumstances I still almost took it home with me. Had it been vinyl there's no question I would have taken a chance on it.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I doubt the people who buy this stuff even listen to it. They're probably just collecting it.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I should let my dad know he's sitting on a goldmine. A Herb Albert-heavy goldmine.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Does anyone want to floss their reel to reel gems?

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    Reel to reel is dope just because it's dope.

• Does anyone want to floss using reel to reel tape?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Those reels will long outlast all your CDs.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I was hoping for a thread on this...

I am a bit disappointed.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I picked up a stack of reel to reels because there were some "good" titles; Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Buffalo Springfield and some of what I like Aretha, Otis, Eddie Harris and some sealed Nancy Wilson.

This is what I learned:
    1) People want quad reels.
    2) People want 71/2 not 33/4 reels.
    3) Reels fall victim to (oxide?) shedding, which means they may fall apart when played so buying them is a crap shoot.

When I searched for the titles I bought on ebay I found they all sold for under $15. I was going to try to sell them for $8 but was counciled to only ask $5. Did very well with them at $5.

People who buy reels, like people who buy direct to disc and half speed masters, really don't care about the music. The medium is the message.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    3) Reels fall victim to (oxide?) shedding, which means they may fall apart when played so buying them is a crap shoot.

Now I'm not a TapeOp nor an expert on this topic, but what I do know is:

There is a certain technique to make these old oxidated tapes playable again.
    Its rather funny too... It includes waiting for probably a day or two, an oven and the right timing.

I remember reading a guide from an ancient 70s recording engineer, reading it was alot of fun, but before I give yall a halfhearted attempt of skimming those memories back together, I'll rather let the pros drop the knowledge...

Baking Tape / Restoration

Tape Baking (wikipedia)

perhaps I'll find that guide/article on baking tape. If so, I'll post it up.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

Explaining the appeal of Reel to Real is like explaining the appeal of drinking water and breathing air - totally redundant. Physically fit - woman!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

I am a bit disappointed.

Ha ha that was my first thought on reading the thread title as well.