Prayers for Big Moe

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Houston rapper/singer Big Moe (of Wreckshop and the SUC) had 3 major heart attacks over the weekend and is currently in the ICU at Ben Taub Hospital in Houston. Plaese to say some prayers for the man.

Comments

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    isnt there a texas rap message board that would be more appropriate for 90% of your posts?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    isnt there a texas rap message board that would be more appropriate for 90% of your posts?

Sheeeiiit...I care about Big M.O.E. and probably wouldn't have known this otherwise.

Three heart attacks?! Wow, I hope that dude gets better and lives ta sang about it.

[color:purple] PURPLE WOOORRRLD[/b] [/color]

• Three heart attacks?!

what was he doing?

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

Some people post about nothing but tepid funk terds, and I don't really post about anything but disco, so I don't see anything wrong with Harvey keeping us up to date about Texas rap. Better than race-strut IMO.

Hope Moe gets better, he's one of my favorite artists from my home state.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Yes, it's on thescrewshop.com and its members only. Already been there...

This message is to those on this board, and I can think of at least 10 off the top of my head, who both know who Moe is and care about whether he lives or not.

Also, I gotta say that it's extremely petty that you responded as such to a message about someone struggling to live.

So back to the topic...I was just visiting with Salih Williams the other day, and as we were talking about how the brunt of his last year of work has gone for naught by way of labels completely dropping the ball on releases by Mike Jones and Chingo Bling, Salih mentioned that what he'd really like to do next is another full album with Big Moe. That was basically Salih's prescription for bringing Texas rap back to what it's supposed to be about. May the Lord please allow that to happen.

• Hope Moe gets better.

Also, is there a correlation between drank and cardial infarctions? Didn't Screw die of a heart attack? I may be wrong (and realize that Moe's weight is doubtless a factor).

Again, hope Moe gets better.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Three heart attacks?!

what was he doing?

I don't know but wow, what an ordeal.

My prayers and hopes go out to him

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Hope Moe gets better.

Also, is there a correlation between drank and cardial infarctions? Didn't Screw die of a heart attack? I may be wrong (and realize that Moe's weight is doubtless a factor).

Again, hope Moe gets better.

last i heard also, Screw's fondness for the lean was linked to his health problems. hopefully MOE pulls through.

• Yeah, I hope he gets better too. That sucks. yeah, I think Screw did pass from a heart attack, allegedly related to sippin' lean. I don't know if that was ever proven though.

No confirmation yet on what caused the heart attack(s), but this is now up on Chamillionaire's myspace page:

October 8, 2007 - Monday

White cup full of Purple Stuff.....

White cup full of Purple Stuff.....

Woke up early this morning.... phone kept ringin'...ringin'.....ringin'......

People callin me to find out if Big Moe of the Screwed Up Click had passed away.... heart jumped outta my chest......I called his phone..... his mother picked up.... man I just knew that she was gonna tell me some bad news....but she tells me that he hasn't passed away..... he had a heart attack and was in the hospital though,....but she told me she is sure that he is still breathing...... (sigh of relief for a second)..... but then i started to think about his health and how a lot of people knew it was gettin bad.... remember the feeling after screw passed?....... now I know I might get hate for this.....I know Im running the risk of sounding "preachy"........ but im starting to hate everything that "syrup"stands for....we been promotin it in our freestyles for a while and its an imbedded part of Texas culture....but I dont like the thought of it anymore......

Not because I been up since 5:30am talkin about it, ...not because im hollywood and dont appreciate it......not because I dont like the color purple.....

Its because I got 2 homies in jail behind "drank" cases and im aware of the fact that it has been attached to the untimely deaths of some people. Maybe ill feel different after I get some more sleep.... but for now... thats what i gotta say about it... I hope Big Moe makes it through..... Too many Texas soldiers are not here any more .... because of stuff like this and other nonsense....

• Shit, man..that is horrible. Hopefully dude can pull through this.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    tasteful

i hope dude is all right

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    tasteful

i hope dude is all right

I'm sayin'. I hope Big Moe is all right as well.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    tasteful

i hope dude is all right

i never heard of him but 3 heart attacks
    sound horrible. i hope pulls through.

tasteful

i hope dude is all right

i never heard of him but 3 heart attacks

sound horrible. i hope pulls through.

I'm not so sure I believe the 3 heart attacks part of it. It's crazy because rumors are flying all over the place about him passing on. It gets hard to sort through the bs, especially when you get a text from someone you know knows Moe well and it say kaput...only to get another text 10 minutes saying let me confirm that...then nothing. Latest word is that Moe is in a coma and if he comes out of it soon, he could be alright.

And for those who aren't familar, Big Moe is huge down here. His classics like Barre Baby, Maan, and Just a Dog are played in clubs down here nightly and crowds go crazy for them. Moreso than anyone else, Moe kicked off the Texas style of rappers singing that folks like Z-Ro and Chalie Boy have run with. Moe is also the one who "discovered" Salih Williams and if you look back in time, it was Moe's Purple Stuff video that was out right when the Houston scene started picking up steam again around '02. Big Moe is a legend to say the least.

• And for those who aren't familar, Big Moe is huge down here.

Lemme try to help y'all put Moe into perspective...

My niece is now 24. A few years ago, just after her 21st birthday, she and her best friend came out to SF for their Spring Break. KingMost jokingly referred to them as The Bush Twins. Neither is Republican, but they were white college girls from Texas who enjoyed going out, having a few drinks, and dancing. If you saw them, you'd likely write them off as Beckys.

But they were both fans of Big Moe (and they knew all about Paul Wall and Mike Jones before almost anyone else on this board). In Texas, everybody knows Moe. Outside of Texas, not so much.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    KingMost jokingly referred to them as The Bush Twins.

I'm cringing as I imagine this most awkward of attempts at holleration.

• KingMost jokingly referred to them as The Bush Twins.

R.I.F.

WHITE GIRLS

For the record though, one of 'em did holler via e-mail. She needed help on some homework. I obliged.

R.I.F.

Dude. Don't even embarass yourself trying to deny it. Did you even pause to say to yourself "These are my man's cousins--this is not right" or did you just plough on ahead tawmbout "What you ladies know about making a Salvadoranian sandwich?"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    "Purple Stuff" was a pretty popular song in Philly when it came out.

Best wishes, Moe.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts
    "Purple Stuff" was a pretty popular song in Philly when it came out.

Best wishes, Moe.

I'm sure I remember this being on 106 & Park pretty regularly during the time I was visiting my girl when she worked in Nashville, end of '01 through spring '02. I just thought the video was on some weird crunkafied psychedelic kind of shit, and had no idea that "purple stuff" was just another euphemism for "sizzurp".

• How could anyone have missed all those big purple ads dude had out several years ago? Those shits stood out in all the rap mags

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    fuck man, hope dude does okay.

and some of you really need to check yourselves on that straight disrespectful shit

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    you guys are a little uptight.

you're a toy, the fuck out of here.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'm not so sure I believe the 3 heart attacks part of it.

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I don't think it's possible to have more than one heart attack at a time. (I should be 100 percent sure about this, seeing as how my pops is a cardiologist, so I'm a bit ashamed that I can't speak in absolute certainty here.) A heart attack is a specific thing--an interruption of blood flow to the heart. Either your blood flow is interrupted or it isn't. Perhaps what happened with Moe is that he experienced blockage in three different spots, but it's hard to say for sure. Further complicating things is the fact that "heart attack" has become a catch-all phrase for any sort of heart problem, plenty of which are not actually heart attacks. So I dunno. I think you're right to be a bit wary of the "three heart attacks" part as it could be a bit of hyperbole.

All of that aside, best wishes to Moe for a speedy recovery. Heart trauma really is no joke, and I hope he pulls through OK.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    never heard of him, but my thoughts go out to him and his family. heart attacks don't sound like something i could handle, or given family history, avoid.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

R.I.F.

Dude. Don't even embarass yourself trying to deny it. Did you even pause to say to yourself "These are my man's cousins--this is not right" or did you just plough on ahead tawmbout "What you ladies know about making a Salvadoranian sandwich?"

if cousins were off limits I would never go to any of my friends weddings.

• if cousins were off limits I would never go to any of my friends weddings.

Cousins are not off limits. My niece is off limits.

if cousins were off limits I would never go to any of my friends weddings.

Cousins are not off limits. My niece is off limits.

Right--I meant nieces.