Ignoring Users: Yay or Nay

GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
I say Nay.What, you can't take it?ARE YOU SCURRED???

Comments

• I never used it before, but every once in a while there's a frequent poster who's posts and responses just grate on me so it's better not to see it. I might ignore the person anyway, but with this function, I don't have to read any comments that might tempt me to respond in a negative fashion. I say yay, but in moderation and for good reason. The function wouldn't exist if it wasn't useful to somebody.

• WHENEVER YOU GO THROUGH THE PROCESS OF "IGNORING" SOMEONE, A POOF OF BABY POWDER SHOULD SPEW FORTH FROM YOUR MONITOR. OR MAYBE A NICE SPRITZ OF EAU DE TOILET.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I'm pretty sure anyone I was ignoring left the board. That said there are definitely people who don't know the true and don't know me and should take their mouth off[/b], but I just sooth my spirit with some witty graemlins and all is right with the world.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I used to think NAY, but damn if some folks are simply not worth the aggravation. Yes, you can just skip over it if you see their name, but you can miss that if you're blazing along and only really checking to see who's saying what if you really agree or disagree, and next thing you know, you've read some garbage that you didn't need to mess up your good mood.

Even as I write this, I really think I am NAY about it...it's good to hear it all, just to know what's out there, and who knows, you might learn something.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    next thing you know, you've read some garbage that you didn't need to mess up your good mood.

WHY do you let the things some of these shitbirds say ruin your day?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    *** You are ignoring this user ***

Did she say anything interesting?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    next thing you know, you've read some garbage that you didn't need to mess up your good mood.

I don't know how to answer this...you're asking me to explain how emotions work. I have read some totally messed up shit on this Board that makes me feel pretty grim about people and there are things that I feel strongly about, I think that's the best way to put it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I don't think it's really a question of ruining one's day--it has more to do with removing the temptation to engage with a person who has repeatedly demonstrated that they're not worth arguing with.

I think it's an excellent feature.

• cough coughdizzybullcough cough

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    so long Harvey! if you don't hear from me for a while - it's because I Vanilla Sky'd ya.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    there's so many annoying posters on here I wouldn't know where to start...

I don't know how to answer this...you're asking me to explain how emotions work. I have read some totally messed up shit on this Board that makes me feel pretty grim about people and there are things that I feel strongly about, I think that's the best way to put it.

i guess i've just become immune to horrible people.
    this place is nothing though, compared to some other boards. never mind the comments on youtube.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    there's so many annoying posters on here I wouldn't know where to start...

I can PM you a list of suggestions, if that helps.

• At one point in time, I was ignoring 4 users.
    After some of those users got BAN, I turned it off.
    Well, there were still some knuckleheads on these boards poasting foolishness. It got so bad that I just stop checking the forums.

I guess leaving the board alone for a few weeks/months is the best remedy.

can any of the other old fart posters name some of the banned? I can only remember one dude posting some borderline racist shit in like 2002 or so...but for the life of me can't remember their names.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    cough coughdizzybullcough cough

I did that for awhile, only to have him promptly respond to just about anything and everything I ever posted on here. I tried to 100% not care about seeing what he was posting, but all too often I'd get curious to see what he might be saying about my relationship with my father or the legitimacy of my Southerness and it became quite a pain to turn off, check, then turn back on the ignore user function to the point that I just stopped using it.

so long Harvey! if you don't hear from me for a while - it's because I Vanilla Sky'd ya.

i dont understand why you guys cant just look at some of these buffoons as the internet schticky retards they are, and not give them aLL this attention they thrive on. they want you to ignore them. they want you to start threads to ban them. as long as the spotlight is shining on their lice ridden heads, they will reign control over your emotions.

• cough coughdizzybullcough cough

I did that for awhile, only to have him promptly respond to just about anything and everything I ever posted on here. I tried to 100% not care about seeing what he was posting, but all too often I'd get curious to see what he might be saying about my relationship with my father or the legitimacy of my Southerness and it became quite a pain to turn off, check, then turn back on the ignore user function to the point that I just stopped using it.

Here's a tip, if you quote the user you are ignoring in a response, you can see what they are saying without turning the function on and off.

• i say you should just buy 'em a new name.

that's what i did...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    What kind of posts are the most annoying??

Is it because of vulgarity, political/social views, musical tastes??

Is it just certain personalities that rub you the wrong way??

Just curious what drives people to use the ignore...

Those of you who ignoring me are excused from answering.

oh well that sorta blows.....all it says is YOU ARE IGNORING THIS USER in the space where they've posted - I thought it was going to eliminate their topic posts and thread posts from my view altogether. It might was well say "this user could be saying something jaw droppingly stupid and rad that you may more may not be missing"

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I guess leaving the board alone for a few weeks/months is the best remedy.

Welcome back M**e

• Hey R***

• "this user could be saying something jaw droppingly stupid and rad that you may more may not be missing"
    This would make for good text for a graemlin.

Just curious what drives people to use the ignore...

Being stalked.

• i dont understand why you guys cant just look at some of these buffoons as the internet schticky retards they are, and not give them aLL this attention they thrive on. they want you to ignore them. they want you to start threads to ban them. as long as the spotlight is shining on their lice ridden heads, they will reign control over your emotions.
    seriously, if i can ignore spam every where else, i can do it on here.
    Some of you dudes need to man up though and not let your emotions get in the way of your internet experience.

But making threads and posts about who you are ignoring is petty and small. Just sinks you to their level.

• I ignored Cletus The One Joke Wonder (aka faux rillz) for a while, and didn't miss anything, but since I've come back I haven't put him on ignore. Its pretty easy to skip past posts that are rarely longer than 1 sentence.

edit = oops!

• i dont understand why you guys cant just look at some of these buffoons as the internet schticky retards they are, and not give them aLL this attention they thrive on. they want you to ignore them. they want you to start threads to ban them. as long as the spotlight is shining on their lice ridden heads, they will reign control over your emotions.

Well, you're talking about two different things here. Ignoring them means just that, you don't read their shit, you don't talk to them, you don't talk about them. I don't think that's giving them any attention. Calling for bans and still talking about somebody you have on ignore is where it gets pretty ridiculous. If I ignore somebody, best believe I'm not going to be bringing them up, that's why I have them on ignore.

Its pretty to skip