"M-FER, I WANT MORE ICED TEA"

residentgiantresidentgiant 619 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
NEWSFLASH! Bill O'Reilly is a racist prick. Shocking. Full article here O'Reilly surprised "there was no difference" between Harlem restaurant and other New York restaurants Summary: Discussing his recent dinner with Rev. Al Sharpton at the Harlem restaurant Sylvia's, Bill O'Reilly reported that he "couldn't get over the fact that there was no difference between Sylvia's restaurant and any other restaurant in New York City. I mean, it was exactly the same, even though it's run by blacks, primarily black patronship." O'Reilly added: "There wasn't one person in Sylvia's who was screaming, 'M-Fer, I want more iced tea.' "During the September 19 edition of his nationally syndicated radio program, discussing his recent trip to have dinner with Rev. Al Sharpton at Sylvia's, a famous restaurant in Harlem, Bill O'Reilly reported that he "had a great time, and all the people up there are tremendously respectful," adding: "I couldn't get over the fact that there was no difference between Sylvia's restaurant and any other restaurant in New York City. I mean, it was exactly the same, even though it's run by blacks, primarily black patronship." Later, during a discussion with National Public Radio senior correspondent and Fox News contributor Juan Williams about the effect of rap on culture, O'Reilly asserted: "There wasn't one person in Sylvia's who was screaming, 'M-Fer, I want more iced tea.' You know, I mean, everybody was -- it was like going into an Italian restaurant in an all-white suburb in the sense of people were sitting there, and they were ordering and having fun. And there wasn't any kind of craziness at all." O'Reilly also stated: "I think black Americans are starting to think more and more for themselves. They're getting away from the Sharptons and the [Rev. Jesse] Jacksons and the people trying to lead them into a race-based culture. They're just trying to figure it out. 'Look, I can make it. If I work hard and get educated, I can make it."

Comments

• Last night the daily show did a parody on this.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Let me just say that I don't find Bill O'Reilly's comments racist. They show his severe ignorance, more than anything else. Actually, I'm glad he had a positive experience as a patron of black services. Maybe he'll finally get the hint and stop acting like a prejudicial prick in front of a national audience on the consistent basis.

• I mean, everybody was -- it was like going into an Italian restaurant in an all-white suburb in the sense of people were sitting there, and they were ordering and having fun.

Nice to see that he's spending a lot of time at the Olive Garden...

• Let me just say that I don't find Bill O'Reilly's comments racist. They show his severe ignorance, more than anything else. I'm actually glad he had a positive experience as a patron of black services. Maybe he'll finally get the hint and stop acting like a prejudicial prick.

you gotta listen to the audio. his tone makes it seem like he is astonished that black people were acting civilized at a restaurant.

• For a well-traveled journalist to be that ignorant is seriously suspect - He has some weird angle here, as though he knows there will be backlash for his comments, and that'll just add more fuel to the fire that's been stoked by Imus. Maybe I'm being paranoid and he really is just a dumbass.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    in this day and age how could someone so bassackwards,dumd and racist still have their own tv show
    twisted and fucked on american tv

ps
    i just dumped cable from my monthly bills
    had it for 3 months came "free" with a package - internet/phone from time warner
    won't miss it a bit

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Last night the daily show did a parody on this.

Larry Wilmore is a god

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/09/28...nce-at-sylvias/

• dumd

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Let me just say that I don't find Bill O'Reilly's comments racist. They show his severe ignorance, more than anything else. Actually, I'm glad he had a positive experience as a patron of black services. Maybe he'll finally get the hint and stop acting like a prejudicial prick in front of a national audience on the consistent basis.

Actually this is the very nature of racism these days. These carried and accepted implicit assumptions permeate deeper and cause more harm than saying Nappy Head or whatever. Look at how the GOP no showed on Tavis. There's probably a thread on this.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

See, contrary to xenophobic, secluded, upper middle-class, White Republican viewpoints, most Blacks are honest, hardworking, good-natured, law-abiding American citizens. It's quite tragic and ignorant, as Drew said, how an entire, multi-layered, varied race of people get lumped together, in a negative stereotypic fashion, due to the bad behavior of a few of its members. This is why I have a problem with the way America is becoming even more and more segregated residentially (and, by extension, educationally), with little in-depth cross-racial interaction. It's a culture in which stereotyping and prejudice can proliferate. It's a sad commentary of U.S. society, totally contradictory of democratic ideals, shameful, and downright embarassing worldwide.

Oh yeah, here is a note to well-meaning, but naive White folks. The term "You're not like other Blacks" is not a compliment. This is the tree O'Reilly was barking up on ("They're so civilized and well-behaved..."). Plus, members of every racial-ethnic group are ashamed of some ignorant members of their group (even White folks), so we all live in glass houses.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    One of my favorites is how so many white people not-so-secretly assume that little black children are the spawn of Satan when in most cases that I've seen black kids are more respectful and well-behaved than white kids.

My wife works as a consultant to the Austin School District to help them deal specifically with white teachers who put so much into assuming that little black boys are bad that they consistently manufacture problem situations to pin on even the most mild-mannered of black boys.

• O'Reilly - foolish.

• One of my favorites is how so many white people not-so-secretly assume that little black children are the spawn of Satan when in most cases that I've seen black kids are more respectful and well-behaved than white kids.

My wife works as a consultant to the Austin School District to help them deal specifically with white teachers who put so much into assuming that little black boys are bad that they consistently manufacture problem situations to pin on even the most mild-mannered of black boys.

i have seen a bunch of fucked up grade school teachers (white and black i might add) who seem to have this vendetta against little black boys. its horrifying. kids get typecast, called "bad" all the time (at age 7!!!) Big double standard with the treatment of boys and girls. i dont even want to go into it...

• See, contrary to xenophobic, secluded, upper middle-class, White Republicans[/b], most Blacks are honest, hardworking, good-natured, law-abiding American citizens.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    One of my favorites is how so many white people not-so-secretly assume that little black children are the spawn of Satan when in most cases that I've seen black kids are more respectful and well-behaved than white kids.

i have seen a bunch of fucked up grade school teachers (white and black i might add) who seem to have this vendetta against little black boys. its horrifying. kids get typecast, called "bad" all the time (at age 7!!!) Big double standard with the treatment of boys and girls. i dont even want to go into it...

i see the same sorta shit all the time in my field with young white liberal social workers.