GN'R LIES (slept on related)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Norm Hopper brought this one to my attention one night over screwdrivers a few weeks ago. Pretty much the greatest rock album of the late 80s. You must dealhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_N'_R_Lies

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Yeah I just said it. Listen to it and tell me I'm wrong.

"I used to love her..."

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    One in a million sucks. The rest are great for cocaine.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Norm Hopper brought this one to my attention one night over screwdrivers a few weeks ago. Pretty much the greatest rock album of the late 80s. You must deal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_N'_R_Lies

Dude, that's not even the greatest GnR album of the late 80s. Couple of good tunes, yes, otherwise you could just have kept sleeping.

Now these guys, they are slept on for 80s hard rock:

while they probably never wrote a single track as good as anything on 'Appetite', they were pretty great if you like that kinda glam hard rock.

• What's with the GNR revival? This band should only appeal to people with low IQs.

What's with the GNR revival? This band should only appeal to people with low IQs.

I take umbrage with that. I have been a fan since 1988 or so, I saw a poster for 'Appetite' and decided I had to hear it. Then of course it was everywhere but I still ride for that era of GnR. Axl had of the most versatile recording voices in rock for a brief period of time....they really had the world by the tail til they blew it.

• staying clear of the good/not good argument, i feel there is no way in the world any GnR record or song could get slept on status - they sold about 50 million albums and are one of the most exposed bands in rock history.

staying clear of the good/not good argument, i feel there is no way in the world any GnR record or song could get slept on status - they sold about 50 million albums and are one of the most exposed bands in rock history.

good point.

• staying clear of the good/not good argument, i feel there is no way in the world any GnR record or song could get slept on status - they sold about 50 million albums and are one of the most exposed bands in rock history.

Most of my friends and I agree on GNR first being a huge band followed by being a good punchline. The revival I'm talking about is re-evaluating their music as something good when, looking back, it was nothing more than more bombastic bar rock than had previously been attempted (ever heard of restraint?). Do any of us consider Axl's ballads moving? They're straight comedy!

Dolphins and oil tankers.

I didn't even know this was an album, BTW, probably because the first half is so awful. I obviously knew all the words to the singles back in the day, though.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Guns 'n' Roses pinball is the BOMB.

When multiball is lit, it plays "Mr. Brownstone" ...
    and when multiball is engaged, it plays an original
    song they actually recorded just for the game, with
    Axl singing "down ... down ... down ... goiiing dowwwn!"

Slash designed it himself, as he's a huge pinball junkie.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Most of my friends and I agree on GNR first being a huge band followed by being a good punchline. The revival I'm talking about is re-evaluating their music as something good when, looking back, it was nothing more than more bombastic bar rock than had previously been attempted (ever heard of restraint?). Do any of us consider Axl's ballads moving? They're straight comedy!

You sound mad young, as usual. I think it would be safe to assume that most of your friends are young as well.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Norm Hopper brought this one to my attention one night over screwdrivers a few weeks ago. Pretty much the greatest rock album of the late 80s. You must deal

I was a huge fan of LIES when it was new, but to say that it outshines APPETITE (and at least a few other rock albums of the late 80s) is ludicrous. The live stuff is pretty good for mid-80s glam and I will always have a soft spot for "Patience" but this record is a time capsule as far as I'm concerned...

• Both of my sisters are in their thirties and think that GNR have aged poorly, as well.

I suppose it is, as usual, a matter of taste, but I think that the late-80s were one of the worst eras in mainstream rock considering how quickly Nirvana made all of that crap irrelevant.

Both of my sisters are in their thirties and think that GNR have aged poorly, as well.

I suppose it is, as usual, a matter of taste, but I think that the late-80s were one of the worst eras in mainstream rock considering how quickly Nirvana made all of that crap irrelevant.

Guns n' Roses will ALWAYS be > Nirvana

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Both of my sisters are in their thirties and think that GNR have aged poorly, as well.

Once again, Waxidermy may need to consult you on this.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Apples and oranges.

Lies can't hold a candle to Appetite.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

If you threw the complete works of Zeppelin, the Stones, the NY Dolls, the Pistols and Aerosmith into a blender, and garnished the resultant sludge with the dregs of Motley Crue's wardrobe, you'd have Guns 'n' Roses. You must deal.

• I like this album but ive always been a bit mystified that 'one in a million' never seemed to cause them any publicity problems.

I used to know this cat that would overzealously sing along with some of the offending lines in this song, I thought and still think he is an asshole.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I like this album but ive always been a bit mystified that 'one in a million' never seemed to cause them any publicity problems. It seems like something that would kill your career dead today.

It caused them a fair bit of trouble IIRC, but the excuse they gave was that Axl Rose was supposedly writing/singing in the third person, and besides, rock 'n' roll is all about offending people, sticking it to the man, etc, so they more or less got away without having it thrown back in their faces every time they showed themselves in public. Unlike certain artists.

As everybody knows, rappers are too stupid to grasp concepts like third-person narratives, whether they be dramatic, objective or whatever. Therefore when, for example, the Clipse talk about drug-dealing on record, the listener can be secure in the knowledge that they are describing their actual day-to-day experience, and, thanks to the "keepin' it real" defence, moral positions can be taken, sweeping generalisations made and poorly-informed prejudices upheld without the inconvenience of having to think too hard about context, or what the writer in question might be trying to say.

• Rocket Queen is epic.

I like Patience when I'm drunk and sometimes not.

• I'm hung over as shit and I just threw on "appetite" fuck "lies"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

If you threw the complete works of Zeppelin, the Stones, the NY Dolls, the Pistols and Aerosmith into a blender, and garnished the resultant sludge with the dregs of Motley Crue's wardrobe, you'd have Guns 'n' Roses. You must deal.

Game, set, and match

G-n-F'n-R =

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    For all of the digging and research and wannaba tastemaking that goes on around here...if you are of any age yet still haven't figured out by now why there is no question in the world why Appetite for Destruction is absolutely essential, both in '88 as well as in '07, then you are really missing the boat.

And there's no way that Nirvana made any metal irrelavent as long as there was Alice by Chains right by their side proving your point moot.

• I don't think I've heard someone claim that Alice in Chains are metal before...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I don't think I've heard someone claim that Alice in Chains are metal before...

What else could they possibly be?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Alice in Chains. Great band!

I used to like the Lies LP. I haven't listened to it forever.

I also like Velvet Revolver
    It's good music.

• I guess I've never really thought of them as a heavy metal band, although I can see the counterargument, because they are, to me, an innovative, original band.

Nevertheless, if you want to consider them a heavy metal band, I think they outlasted other metal bands because a) they came from the same scene as Nirvana and b) they weren't peddling the same derivative, heavy shit that bands like GNR, Poison, Def Leppard, etc. were doing towards the end.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    an innovative, original band

u gotta be kidding.

Def Lep is 10 times more innovative than Alice n' Chains.

Brian Eno said so.

---

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Clearly you are all 21 years old and do not remember the shit storm that "One In A Million" caused. It was all over MTV News and the press. Axl lamely tried to say that he was telling it from the perspective of a midwest boy just off the bus. I remember Vernon Reid from Living Color saying that he defended GNR's right to say whatever they wanted (when people suggested that the label remove the song) but that they needed to be held accountable for what they said. Sad thing is is that "One in a Million" is a great song musically, as good as a lot of classic stones stuff. With different lyrics that would have been a massive hit.

• an innovative, original band

u gotta be kidding.

Def Lep is 10 times more innovative than Alice n' Chains.

Brian Eno said so.

---

Haha! Half of Brian Eno's catalogue is unlistenable, as creative as it is.

Who else sounded like Alice in Chains to you? They were new to me at the time.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Eno said something in a late 80s/early 90s interview about how top 40 metal producers like Mutt Lange were becoming virtually avant-garde in their recording techniques - i.e having Def Lep's guitarist play each note of a chord individually & then replicating the 'chord' through playback etc.

Alice n' Chains just sounds like generic stompy growling metal to me - not immitative of any specific band, but not blazing new trails either.

---