the BURNING question about DVD bit torrents....

iron_monkeyiron_monkey 985 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Ok, so forgive me if this is common knowledge type info but I can't figure this shit out AT ALL.I downloaded a bit torrent of a tv show and tried to burn it onto dvd on my PC but ran into a problem. I dl'ed the data, opened up the Nero program to burn this onto DVD-R, it went through the different screens to choose menus & all that. Then, when it came time to actually burn the thing, I put the disc in and pressed "burn disc". it then, spit out the dvd and gave some sort of error message.I tried this several times, all ending with the same result. What am I doing wrong? The burner works fine to make music CDR's, so I know that it works...What am I doing wrong here?Anyone?

Comments

• wow... thanks for the avalanche of information guys...

• Wassup A! Good seeing you around here again!

What kind of file is it, (what extention)?
    Are you able to view the show on your pc?

Instead of building dvd-menus, try burning it as a data disc. If your dvd player is less than 3 years old it should still be able to play this.

I use Nero for this and it should work.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    might seem stoopid

the drive IS a dvd burner right??

alot wil lread but not BURN dvds

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    There are so many different file extensions associated with video that it makes me crazy trying to figure it out. Try sticking with .divx or .avi files when searching torrents. sometimes they come as .iso files or other files and I have no clue how to fuck with those. .avi is pretty standard and mid-grade quality, and you can burn them fairly easily. if it's not .avi or .divx or .wmv, i have no clue how to burn it.

Extra tip, once upon a time, somebody here recommended this program that will play ANY video file, and it has worked well for me. so, if you can't burn the thing, try at least opening it in this program and see if it's even a legit video file. The program is called VLC Media Player. Good luck.

• Extra tip, once upon a time, somebody here recommended this program that will play ANY video file, and it has worked well for me. so, if you can't burn the thing, try at least opening it in this program and see if it's even a legit video file. The program is called VLC Media Player. Good luck.

TRUTH

• Thanks guys...

OK, it is a DVD burner. I downloaded the file with no Azureus or any other program. Just right off the website. I didn't try burning it as a data disc (least I don't think so) and I am able to view the file, just not able to burn it.

Maybe I'm missing some program or plug-in or some detail I'm overlooking...

• Thanks guys...

OK, it is a DVD burner. I downloaded the file with no Azureus or any other program. Just right off the website. I didn't try burning it as a data disc (least I don't think so) and I am able to view the file, just not able to burn it.

Try to burn it as a data disc, that works for me.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I put the disc in and pressed "burn disc". it then, spit out the dvd and gave some sort of error message.

What did the error message say?

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Thanks guys...

It could be that your burning software doesn't have the proper codec for the file type you are trying to burn. I don't know a lot about that shit, but maybe somebody else here can give you a better explanation. Try searching for whatever the file type is and then codec. For instance, if it's a .divx file, try searching for divx codec and see if you can install something. Careful though, get some more info on that before downloading random codec packs.