What monitos do you use for DJing and Recording?

OrangeYoghurtOrangeYoghurt 210 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I currently use KRK RP5.. nice.I had some Event ALP-5 previously..Anyone experiences with the KRK RP6?

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I currently use KRK RP5.. nice.
    I had some Event ALP-5 previously..

Anyone experiences with the KRK RP6?

They have more powerful and better amps and it shows. Did you not like the ALP-5s?

I use Yamaha NS-344s (speaker raer, same production line as the NS-10 but a 3-way design) with a JBL/Urei 6230 brick of a power amp. I like them, but I need a sub, and probably another more "modern" sounding pair like the Event 20/20s to A/B.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

I have the RP8, great monitors for a decent sized room for the price. They are pretty flat with a good bass response. However, if you use any 8 inch ref. monitor in a room that isn't accoustically prepared for it, they won't sound very good. I.E. make sure your room ain't too small and that you have treatments up to take care of the pesky angles and whatnot.

I personally don't think there's any reason for a hobbyist/home studio to have anything much more expensive than these. If you're running a real studio/business I could understand, but these $500 joints get the job done for me.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Event TR8

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I've heard a lot about TR-8's picking up radio and cell phone frequency interference.

Short of that issue, I understand those sound pretty good.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    This only happened when I had them at my girl's house. I think it only occurs when you're not grounded properly..

I managed to record an entire conversation where an older gentlemen asserted the claim that he invented the term "drawers" and was personally responsible for its proliferation throughout popular culture. He went on for hours and made for an extremely entertaining afternoon. I ended up using it in the beat I was working on.

• I used to have the TR8XL's for awhile. Could've been my room not properly treated,
    But don't they sound bass-heavy to you?

8" woofers are always way too much for my taste, they overrule the mids and highs if you ask me. But then again it could've be my room wasn't properly treated to the fullest.

• I currently use KRK RP5.. nice.

They have more powerful and better amps and it shows. Did you not like the ALP-5s?

I use Yamaha NS-344s (speaker raer, same production line as the NS-10 but a 3-way design) with a JBL/Urei 6230 brick of a power amp. I like them, but I need a sub, and probably another more "modern" sounding pair like the Event 20/20s to A/B.

do you know a place to look up more info on the yamaha ns line? I got a pair of NS-244s, they are 2-way speakers with a 8 inch woofer and a really powerful 2 or 3 inch tweeter, they even have a knob on the speakers to turn down the tweater if the high's become too piercing.

i power that with this mid 1970's Sansui AU-101 stereo amp and that amp kicks ass, it's only rated at 15 watts into 8 ohms RMS but that amp thumps, i think they can be had for cheap on ebay too.

it's not an ideal setup for clean accurate monitoring but i hear things i didn't hear with lesser speakers/amps, (for example: the difference between low piano notes and bass notes on Songs In The Key Of Life) i think knowing your monitors/headphones is a big part of anything.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

do you know a place to look up more info on the yamaha ns line? I got a pair of NS-244s, they are 2-way speakers with a 8 inch woofer and a really powerful 2 or 3 inch tweeter, they even have a knob on the speakers to turn down the tweater if the high's become too piercing.

i power that with this mid 1970's Sansui AU-101 stereo amp and that amp kicks ass, it's only rated at 15 watts into 8 ohms RMS but that amp thumps, i think they can be had for cheap on ebay too.

it's not an ideal setup for clean accurate monitoring but i hear things i didn't hear with lesser speakers/amps, (for example: the difference between low piano notes and bass notes on Songs In The Key Of Life) i think knowing your monitors/headphones is a big part of anything.

There's pretty much nothing on the internet about the NS line other than articles about tissue paper in NS-10s and different woofer revisions, mods, etc. If there was something about them like there is about JBL models, I have the feeling the larger models in the series would go for much more.

You hit it right on the button about being able to hear more/get better separation between instruments - to me, that's why I love my NS-344s. I know my room isn't properly treated, and I know they're not great speakers for final mixdown, because there are frequency issues at the crossover points, but they always tell me when a sound or beat I'm working on sounds like I want it to. Plus, if you crank them they give you a pretty good representation of how things translate to a bigger system.

I'd also highly reccomend the JBL/UREI 6230/6260 to anyone who needs a power amp for monitors/speakers. Clean, quiet, more powerful than it's rated, and it really punches and handles dynamics well. They go for a little over $100 on eBay, and even though you'll pay $40 for shipping cause they are HEAVY, it's worth it, and I've heard many people say that an amp of that calibur would cost around $1000 if manufactured today.

I know this topic comes up often, but it's good to hear what people who are actually discerning about music and sounds are using for monitoring instead of just some little internet people/snobbish people on Gearslutz. Keep it coming!

• i did find some info on the Yamaha NS series, just not in english:
    http://www.hifi-wiki.de/index.php/Yamaha_NS-344

both our speakers have a Frequenzgang of 50-38000 Hz

i'm feeling you about how it's nice that people care about the quality of sound, i'm like you in that i can't really afford to get my room treated acusticly so i just have to experiment with speaker placment and whatever equipment falls into my hands for free or cheap. people on a budget can do real well with older stuff, just find that old dude in your area who used to run a recording studio out of their basement

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I keep thinking this says "What mojitos do you use for DJing"

great question!

• I keep thinking this says "What mojitos do you use for DJing"

great question!

now that is a great question, i had this 1 night where me and the other DJ decided to make it a "mojito night" by the end they were just serving them to us in pint glasses and we ran them out of limes....or whatever the green things are that they mash up to make that drink...mint??

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Let's see. Pint glasses - limes - mint + sugar + sour mix instead? = in the a.m.