Pizza Baked by Mexicans

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This has been going on for quite some time.

Maybe in LA or NOLA, but this is just recently hit the Northeast (a region of the US that is heralded for it's authentic Italian style pizza).

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    This has been going on for quite some time.

Maybe in LA or NOLA, but this is just recently hit the Northeast (a region of the US that is heralded for it's authentic Italian style pizza).

NOLA???

Until very recently, NOLA has never been considered as much of a Mexican town.

But I do remember circa the late-70's/early 80's, the one Mexican food spot that we would go to in NOLA actually had MEXICAN PIZZA on its menu, which was my favorite thing there. It was hardly anything like the Italian version of pizza.

• This has been going on for quite some time.

It seems like it only just recently hit suburban Pennsylvania, as this has been the way in NYC for at least 3-4 years now...

But frankly this whole thing IS kind of BS because a lot of restaurants, Italian and otherwise, use Mexican/Central/South American help and provided there is a certain skill level or at least some oversight it's not a difference you can taste

I would be surprised if you could tell the difference between the "Pre-Mexican" and "Post-Mexican" slices with a blindfold on, especially considering that I wouldn't imagine pizza in suburban PA to be all that great in the first place

A lot of white folks like to comment on "the Mexicans cooking Chinese food" or "the Mexicans cooking Pizza", doesn't have much to do with the food so much as the irony or the visual... whatever

• The only resturants in SD that don't have mexicans cooking is sushi places. For some reason the resturants don't want a mexican behind the counter where everyone can see, so they put some asians dudes there instead. Some of the Korean joints here will have 1/2 korean 1/2 mexicans in the kitchen. I don't know what it is, but it seems like Mexicans can cook everything better.

Here is something that tripped me out though... Last time I flew to Georgia it shocked to see black people doing all the jobs there that mexicans do here. I guess I shouldn't have been suprised, but I was. Sometimes going to a different part of the states is like going to a whole other country. Living in San Diego its easier to understand somebody speak with a thick filipino accent than a thick southern accent. I'm used to the way filipinos talk. In georgia I was like "um, pardon me?"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    This thread is depressing.

• This thread is depressing.

Because you are in Canada?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

One thing I noticed in Canada is the BOSTON PIZZA chain. One thing Boston is NOT famous for is their Pizza!

• I also don't like the lumping of all hispanics into Mexicans.

You sound Puerto Rican!

Here is something that tripped me out though... Last time I flew to Georgia it shocked to see black people doing all the jobs there that mexicans do here. I guess I shouldn't have been suprised, but I was.

I had a similar reaction about 14 years ago, except that I went to North Carolina after living in Texas all my life. That's when I realized that Texas really isn't The South--it's its own world.

• Is the border wait crossing from canada ridiculous? I live 15 miles from Mexico and I NEVER go there because the wait coming back is just miserable. Its too bad really, because I'm kind of bored with SD and really want to start checking out whats in Tijuana, but the border wait keeps me from going. I wonder if you can get a fast pass or something. I mean, I can see the lights of mexico from my back steps. A lot of cool music comes out of TJ too.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

One thing I noticed in Canada is the BOSTON PIZZA chain. One thing Boston is NOT famous for is their Pizza!

Next time you are in NY page me. I'll get you a kickass Mexican Pizza - ranchero sauce, queso fresco, jalape??os, avocado, & crema.

Next time you are in NY page me. I'll get you a kickass Mexican Pizza - ranchero sauce, queso fresco, jalape??os, avocado, & crema.

That sounds good as hell. We don't have that down here.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

a donde? hope you're not talking about the taco bell / pizza hut / kfc mash-ups.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

a donde? hope you're not talking about the taco bell / pizza hut / kfc mash-ups.

[i]Try our spicy Enchimirrito with a tall Sprite-arita!

FUEGO!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Is the border wait crossing from canada ridiculous?

Don't know how it compares to the Mexican border, but it's not too bad (unless you're born in the axis of evil). I know they do the eye-scan thing in the airports for frequent travellers and that totally speeds things up...not sure if they have it for crossing by vehicle.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Boston Market spin-off chain, maybe?

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

Oh fuck!!! Tell him who makes the pizza there and he might not go!!!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    nah, it's my girlfriend's recipe and she's certified at least 50% Chicana.

Avocados and crema go on afterwards. It's a delicate affair.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Oh fuck!!! Tell him who makes the pizza there and he might not go!!!

Who the trombone player from Bronx River Parkway???

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Is the border wait crossing from canada ridiculous? I live 15 miles from Mexico and I NEVER go there because the wait coming back is just miserable. Its too bad really, because I'm kind of bored with SD and really want to start checking out whats in Tijuana, but the border wait keeps me from going. I wonder if you can get a fast pass or something. I mean, I can see the lights of mexico from my back steps. A lot of cool music comes out of TJ too.
    tijuana is a really interesting city, and i don't get down there nearly enough. It's nearly as populated as the city of SD now, (most recent estimate I read was 1.5million compared to SD's 1.8)
    But really, screw driving across. The wait to get back is absolutely insane. The easiest way to not have to deal with it is to park at one of the border lots, and walk across. Cabs to Revolucion are $5, and a lot of things are within walking distance from there. One of the best times I've had since living in SD was rolling down to TJ with dstill record hunting. They got stores in TJ!!! (nothin major... dstill did pick up some nelson ned raer )
    But finding our way around off the main strips down there was a blast, just seeing all the crazy shit- st**e needle dropping weird 45s that neither of us had ever heard of before, etc.
    The people living down there have some serious hustle game going on just to get by, and it's a far more unique and sensory-loaded experience than running around San Diego.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Is the border wait crossing from canada ridiculous?

Depends on the dollar. If its strong, everyone is running to the USA for bargins & lines at the border are looong. Here in Montreal, most pizza joints are run by greeks, even joints with italian names.

• Yeah but walking is a pain in the ass too. I'd want to be able to just drive around the city. I know that there are people that live in tj and commute everyday here, so i bet there is some kind of fast pass.

google, here i come.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    you've got to get a SENTRI pass.
    http://usinfo.state.gov/gi/Archive/2005/Jun/14-724713.html
    but it ain't easy
    http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/frequent_traveler/sentri/sentri.xml
    and even the SENTRI lanes get backed up.

• nessness 249 Posts
    You sound Puerto Rican!

i was gonna say the same thing man but i didnt wanna sound insensitive.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    You sound Puerto Rican!

i was gonna say the same thing man but i didnt wanna sound insensitive.

Tin marin de do pingue
    cucara macara titere fue
    cuantas patas tiene el gato
    una dos tres y quatro
    pa' fuera!

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    So I guess nobody here's heard of Pizza Patr??n then have they?
    Check it:
    Pizza Patr??n is leading the industry by truly serving Latino communities. We have bilingual staffs and offer unheard of pizza value to Hispanic families!

• you've got to get a SENTRI pass.
    http://usinfo.state.gov/gi/Archive/2005/Jun/14-724713.html
    but it ain't easy
    http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/frequent_traveler/sentri/sentri.xml
    and even the SENTRI lanes get backed up.

Damn, it costs 130 dollars!

maybe i could get it done in mexico for cheap...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I just got back from Park Slope and was astonished at the total domination of Mexican labor in every restaurant (Italian, Pizza, Chinese) on 5th ave. I have to admit that vatos came correct with a nice toasted bacon and egg bagel every morning. The real moment of no turning back will be when you walk into a sushi bar and they got Mexicans dealing sashimi. That i'd like to see.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The real moment of no turning back will be when you walk into a sushi bar and they got Mexicans dealing sashimi. That i'd like to see.

Tony Bourdain had a dude on his show a few weeks back that was a top notch Sushi dude from the heart of Mexico.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I just got back from Park Slope and was astonished at the total domination of Mexican labor in every restaurant (Italian, Pizza, Chinese) on 5th ave. I have to admit that vatos came correct with a nice toasted bacon and egg bagel every morning. The real moment of no turning back will be when you walk into a sushi bar and they got Mexicans dealing sashimi. That i'd like to see.

Not that I wanna bring up dudes name again, but Bordain did a show on this mexican dude that has a sushi place and how off the chain it is....

most people around here call this a "tostada" or "sope".

anyways, in LA they actually have other ethnic restaurants that cater to latinos. you know like taco bell to white folks? well in thaitown there's ocha, VIM, the original thai bbq. trust me, aint no thai dude, no wait, aint no asian dude gon be up in these spots cuz they suck. there's also dino's burgers greek influenced el pollo maniaco. im sure there are more but these are the ones i know of.