Pizza Baked by Mexicans

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I've noticed that alot of my local pizza joints are being taken over by Mexicans. There are still a couple Italiano joints, but even those hire Mexicans to cook their product. I'm still on the fence with Mexican pizza. It's a bit too salty. Anybody notice this trend in Mexican pizza joints? Should Mexicans even try to do this?

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    BACON!

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    WHOA! funny that you mention this. yesterday i was just walking by a neighborhood spot that was pizza, but recently turned into mexican joint. since they still have the ovens, and it's right across the street from a high school, they continue to roll with the pizza. it's called "JV's mexican food & pizza" haven't tried it yet.

a huge chunk of food made in the kitchens of establishments in new york is being produced by mexicans. what baffles me is most of the mexican food restaurants here (in manhattan atleast) aren't RUN by mexicans. this braeks my heart.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    If you get a chance to stick your head in ANY kitchen in ANY restaurant, you will find folks from Central America, They RUN shit as far as restaurant cooks in the USA. Actually chefs look for Mexican/Central American kitchen help because of their work ethic, quality control, skill....Anthony Bourdain wrote a lengthy essay on it recently....

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I think about 98.7% of all food (regardless of type) I've eaten in my whole life that is not made at home has been made by Mexicans... but I live in California. They definitely cook better than I do.

• nessness 249 Posts
    If you get a chance to stick your head in ANY kitchen in ANY restaurant, you will find folks from Central America, They RUN shit as far as restaurant cooks in the USA. Actually chefs look for Mexican/Central American kitchen help because of their work ethic, quality control, skill....Anthony Bourdain wrote a lengthy essay on it recently....

YOWZERS.

AT THE KOREAN PLACE OUT HERE THEY MAKE THE BIBIMBAP.

THERES A DUDE THAT LOOKS LIKE MEXI OTTO W A MOUSTACHE SPEAKING SOME BROKEN KOREAN!

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Yo, I walked into the "New York Style" pizza spot around the corner from me & what do you know "Mr. Gonzales" is the main cook. Only the owner/operator is Italian and from New York.
    Same can be said for alot of the chinese buffet style spots!!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Two of Durham NC's best eateries have hispanic kitchen help: INTERNATIONAL DELIGHTS (Middle Eastern fare) and DALE'S INDIAN CUISINE. The food is awesome in both places.

Meanwhile, an Indian joint in Chapel Hill has totally mediocre food cooked by a Bangladeshi "chef." Which is to say he's a transplanted NYC taxi driver who decided to open a restaurant. And as far as work ethic goes, once I walked in there around 3pm on a weekend and one of the waiters was asleep. On the floor.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Don't see what the problem is!

There are mexicans, central americans and south americans holding it down in the kitchens across the US. I'm in SoCal and to me the majority of restaurants I go to (whether its Chinese, Italian, Mexican, etc.) the cooks are Mexican. CPK, Chili's, BJ's, Denny's, hotels, etc...

I know what you're saying, but I've had some of best non-mexican food, prepared by Mexicans....

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Two of Durham NC's best eateries have hispanic kitchen help: INTERNATIONAL DELIGHTS (Middle Eastern fare) and DALE'S INDIAN CUISINE. The food is awesome in both places.

Meanwhile, an Indian joint in Chapel Hill has totally mediocre food cooked by a Bangladeshi "chef." Which is to say he's a transplanted NYC taxi driver who decided to open a restaurant. And as far as work ethic goes, once I walked in there around 3pm on a weekend and one of the waiters was asleep. On the floor.

siesta dood..........

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Yeah, you gotta watch out for the Indian joints with "chefs" I ate at a new one here not long ago, my friend was raving about it and it was the weakest shit I've had. Lunch buffet had like 4 things on it and they were all

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I've noticed that alot of my local pizza joints are being taken over by Mexicans. There are still a couple Italiano joints, but even those hire Mexicans to cook their product. Should Mexicans even try to do this?

Damn Raj!

Un dia pronto los gringos van a llorar!

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I know what you're saying, but I've had some of best non-mexican food, prepared by Mexicans....

it's been going on for a long time..

we are everywhere!!!

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

No puedo esperar para esa dia...

• COME TO TEXAS

• Un dia pronto los gringos van a llorar!

Mira este huevon en el red
    coma tu pizza barata baboso

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    COME TO MEXICO

I thought this thread was gonna be about Pizza al Pastor =

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Denny's
    no thanks

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I've noticed that alot of my local pizza joints are being taken over by Mexicans. There are still a couple Italiano joints, but even those hire Mexicans to cook their product. Should Mexicans even try to do this?

Damn Raj!

I'm not trying to come off as "racist". It's a food thing. Italians make better pizza just like authentic Mexican food is better than Chi-Chi's holmes.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    I've also seen Mexican and other latino folks toiling away in the kitchens in Indian restaurants everywhere... Washington DC, Devon Street in Chicago, Edison NJ... lot of similarities in cooking techniques I suppose so it's easy to learn how to whip up a chat masala or butter chicken if you know which ingredients to use.

Sad to say though, the reason you see so many Latinos in indian restaurants and other venues is they are probably paid under the table in cash, and the owners look the other way when the required "documentation" like work permits never materializes. Lots of exploitation going on.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Ain't much better than chi-chi's! Lots of dudes are all about them nalgas though...

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Yo, Is this in LA?

• nessness 249 Posts

Mira este huevon en el red
    coma tu pizza barata baboso

SIT DOWN EAT YOUR SLICE OF PIZZA AND BE QUIET!!!

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

Damn Raj!

I'm not trying to come off as "racist". It's a food thing. Italians make better pizza just like authentic Mexican food is better than Chi-Chi's holmes.

Whose making the food at chi-chi's holmes? Good food has nothing to do with race and all to do with technique and ingredients. Saying that pizza made by Mexicans is salty has nothing to do with their Mexicaness, and all to do with their sauce recipe. You say, "Should Mexicans try to do this?" Well, why shouldn't they?

Raj, I have the utmost respect for you, and don't mean to call you out so harshly, but I don't agree with what you said. I also don't like the lumping of all hispanics into Mexicans.

• nessness 249 Posts
    Pizza al Pastor

whoa. next day air on pizza???

carnitas pizza???

• nessness 249 Posts
    I also don't like the lumping of all hispanics into Mexicans.

what are ecuadorian, peruvian, colombian, chilean, etc or something???

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Pizza al Pastor

whoa. next day air on pizza???

carnitas pizza???

I ain't seen it in Texas yet, only in Mexico. Thought about DHLing some to Texas.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    This has been going on for quite some time.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Yo, Is this in LA?

si' & every pie comes w/ a bottle of tapatio...

??Estoy all??!

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Denny's
    no thanks

It's just an example...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    COME TO TEXAS

Three of the best "NY Style" Pizza joints in the D/FW area are owned and run by folks from Eastern Europe.