BANNED

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Link?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Damn dude, I didn't know you were such a racist!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Damn Bev, I wish you showed as much zeal around here. Maybe I wouldn't feel like such an outcast haha!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    That is wack!

If it makes you feel better, I just smashed my Johnny Harris record in protest.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Wow, reading that thread made me gain 1000x more respect
    for Soul Strut ... what a cluster fuck it is over there!

I only made it halfway through the thread, but that was enough
    to see that a) Wallace is running rampant there, and b) there
    are a bunch of waxidermy graemlins being mis-used on that
    board ... yikes. And the dude that started shit with Sheep
    was actually agreeing with him, anyway!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Unbelievable. Can no one take a joke anymore?

"While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate racist, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters."

Translation:

TAKE THAT SHIT TO FRYER-MANTIS.CO.UK SON

• Does anybody actually read any of that wallace shit? I mean, whats the fucking point?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    SAUCY

Does anybody actually read any of that wallace shit? I mean, whats the fucking point?

He is the James Joyce of the record game.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

He is the Mushmouth of the record game.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

They are the true racists.

You know I don't want to open a whole can of worms here, and I don't know anything about them dudes over there, but what the fuck is it with people who collect soul/funk/jazz etc and their complete distain for anything that is hip-hop oriented? In my opinion it goes beyond people actually just not liking the music. They treat anything that is even semi connected to modern day black culture as though it's got a disease. Like "Awesome, I'll collect Black Jazz records and be all into Funk 45s, but those hip-hop guys are savages." It's almost like if you are from a hip-hop background in your music listening tastes then it negates comepletely any validity your opinion might be on the soul/funk/jazz etc that's discussed.

And that shit happens over here too to a degree.

You know I don't want to open a whole can of worms here, and I don't know anything about them dudes over there, but what the fuck is it with people who collect soul/funk/jazz etc and their complete distain for anything that is hip-hop oriented? In my opinion it goes beyond people actually just not liking the music. They treat anything that is even semi connected to modern day black culture as though it's got a disease. Like "Awesome, I'll collect Black Jazz records and be all into Funk 45s, but those hip-hop guys are savages." It's almost like if you are from a hip-hop background in your music listening tastes then it negates comepletely any validity your opinion might be on the soul/funk/jazz etc that's discussed.

Why should you have to like hip hop to enjoy all things "funky"?

• They are the true racists.

I see that in general with modern music though. There are definitely some questionable attitudes towards hip-hop specifically, but also you've got a lot of guys who it's almost like they are threatened by the possibility of someone enjoying current music. No matter what type. Like, the cats that must put their 2 cents in every thread that they think it's disposable, trash, whatever. It's like, nobody asked you hommie! Go off and post about finding a copy of "Do The Funky Benchpress" or yet ANOTHER cover of "Funky Nassau" (because you know, that shit ain't disposable at all).

But yeah there's definitely a contingent of chin stroking dudes who are really uncomfortable with rap music... yet they collect older Black music even very incendiary jazz and stuff. I see it all the time. If I ever want annoying hipper/deeper/raerer-than-thou dudes to leave the shop half the time all I need to do is throw on some MOP or Mac Mall or something.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

Why should you have to like hip hop to enjoy all things "funky"?

:99pager:

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that if I want to listen to Milford Graves I have to also be equally into rap because both are "radically black".

• I'm sorry, I didn't realize that if I want to listen to Milford Graves I have to also be equally into rap because both are "radically black".

You're missing the radical pro-Black forest for the appreciation of a free jazz tree.

• I'm sorry, I didn't realize that if I want to listen to Milford Graves I have to also be equally into rap because both are "radically black".

You're missing the radical pro-Black forest for the appreciation of a free jazz tree.

FATBACK!!!

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that if I want to listen to Milford Graves I have to also be equally into rap because both are "radically black".

APPRECIATE FREE JAZZ OR I WILL BRANDISH A FIREARM, SIR.

That's the thing - I wouldn't leave a record store merely because someone threw on Milford Graves (or, hitting closer to home, some tepid homemade folk shit). But people will really get shook and bounce if I throw on many rap records.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

No, you don't. I didn't say that. What I DID say is that there is a contingent of people out there who would say "Your opinion about Milford Graves isn't as valid because you listen to M.O.P. and other rap garbage." I notice this in many circles, including over at your site, Jeff. Not pointing fingers, or accusing anyone of anything, but it is an attitude that is real and that I've been confronted with.

That's the thing - I wouldn't leave a record store merely because someone threw on Milford Graves (or, hitting closer to home, some tepid homemade folk shit). But people will really get shook and bounce if I throw on many rap records.

One day I will show up at GOOD RECORDS unannounced and demand that you play the latest bling rap the entire time I'm there. The honor of my people is at stake.

No, you don't. I didn't say that. What I DID say is that there is a contingent of people out there who would say "Your opinion about Milford Graves isn't as valid because you listen to M.O.P. and other rap garbage." I notice this in many circles, including over at your site, Jeff. Not pointing fingers, or accusing anyone of anything, but it is an attitude that is real and that I've been confronted with.

Ahhh... OK, I understand... I think... as much as I'm capable of.

Where does Noz fit into this argument?

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

I see that in general with modern music though. There are definitely some questionable attitudes towards hip-hop specifically, but also you've got a lot of guys who it's almost like they are threatened by the possibility of someone enjoying current music. No matter what type. Like, the cats that must put their 2 cents in every thread that they think it's disposable, trash, whatever. It's like, nobody asked you hommie! Go off and post about finding a copy of "Do The Funky Benchpress" or yet ANOTHER cover of "Funky Nassau" (because you know, that shit ain't disposable at all).

But yeah there's definitely a contingent of chin stroking dudes who are really uncomfortable with rap music... yet they collect older Black music even very incendiary jazz and stuff. I see it all the time. If I ever want annoying hipper/deeper/raerer-than-thou dudes to leave the shop half the time all I need to do is throw on some MOP or Mac Mall or something.

same with a lot a jazz musicians and any use of jazz elements in modern music, no matter if its hiphop, house, broken beat or whatnot..
    some of these dudes have a lot of hate for new things. and i am not speaking about sampling.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    from this thread i learned hcrink spends a lot of time on multiple message boards.