Nirvana vs. Pavement

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Watery, Domestic EP is damn near perfect.

Yes. I still listen to this almost every week.

I also think Crooked Rain, Crooked Reign is far
    better than Slanted & Enchanted, as much as I like it.

Nirvana & Pavement really don't compare at all, so
    I'll just abstain from answering that one.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

And Wowie Zowie is better still.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Slanted and Enchanted just may be the best, most complete album from that whole indie period, BUT...

Nothing is fucking with Bleach when it comes to that rawness...that in the end is much more important than cleverness.

I'm a huge Pavement fan- but I have to completely agree with this statement.Well done sir. You know more than Texas rap!

Thank you for noticing.

Some of my favorite tracks from that era:

Olivelawn - A Season in Hell

Spacemen 3 - Revolution

Loop - Fade Out

Screaming Trees - End of the Universe

Mudhoney - Dead Love

Butthole Surfers - P.S.Y.

• There are more unlistenable songs on Slanted than there are on In Utero. And I say this as a fan of both albums. I don't find anything on In Utero unlistenable cos no matter what Kurt was playing or growling, they still had Albini's mics on Grohl's drums.

And Edith is right, Pavement copped almost their entire schtick from the Fall. Right down to covers and everything.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

And Edith is right, Pavement copped almost their entire schtick from the Fall. Right down to covers and everything.

...and they dont deny it either. But I discovered The Fall through Pavement, and maybe because of that I find Pavement more...palatable? I dont know- but the fall is group I want to like more than i do.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i also like the Fall more than Nirvana too

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    There are more unlistenable songs on Slanted

Plaese to name one.

But before you answer, I will say that there's quite a difference between considering individual Slanted songs on their own accord versus how they fit within the context of the album as a whole.

To me, Slanted is the perfect album to listen to at 11PM when you've just taken a couple of hits of acid but have also decided that you need to take a nap before they hit.

• There are more unlistenable songs on Slanted

Plaese to name one.

Haha. I couldn't even name by title one song on that record. I'll have to check it when I get home but I just remember skipping a few last time I listened.

These debates get fun because both bands are so well-loved that you are going to have some intense fanship coloring the arguments. You guys have been playing nice so far though.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Pavement by a landslide!

Nirvana hasn't aged well at all imo.

I like Westing better than Nirvana's entire catalog.

also Pavement didn't spawn 8 trillion shitty groups.

• also Pavement didn't spawn 8 trillion shitty groups.

Bullshit they didn't. They all just sold 500 records instead of 500,000.

Reverse Seatlle backlash here, nothing to see.

Bullshit they didn't.

The smoking gun

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Pavement was influenced heavily by The Fall. seriously, listen to Grotesque and then check out Slanted and Enchanted

I agree- but i'd still rather listen to Slanted!

yeah me too. i'm not as into Grotesque as other fall albums like This Nation's Saving Grace or Perverted by Language

i love the fall, pavement and nirvana so whatever. i even like stephen malkmus' solo albums

Name 10 of em then.

GO

[i even like stephen malkmus' solo albums

Church on white

will anybody else ride for this lp?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Spacemen 3 - Revolution

just a complete copy of MC5 "Black to Comm".....

Name 10 of em then.

GO

Just look up the bulk of American indie-label rock from 94 to 98. I didn't buy that shit so I don't know it.

Ewww...

That solo Malkmus lp is major ass brun too.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

And Wowie Zowie is better still.

the pedal steel on "Father to a Sister of a Thought" kills me!

• will anybody else ride for this lp?

Ewww...

That solo Malkmus lp is major ass brun too.

I'll ride for that one...Type Slowly was my jam in HS.

Crink and I have said this, but I agree that Wowee is their best. A perfect little mess of an album; left of the dial radio played 'AT+T' this morning as i drove to work. Made my day.

Their last album sucked a huge one; Solo Malkmus is okay for a fix, but forgettable.

Wowie Zowie was like the high tide moment of the whole fucking middle 90's trip. It just completely disintegrated after that... not just Pavement, but like the whole thing. It is depressing how few worthwhile rock albums have been made in the period since that. I can't really listen to it anymore but that shit was epic.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    In Utero is the best thing.

I do. Break up record for me in college. I'm the only dude you know that gets weepy to "Shady Lane"...

Name 10 of em then.

GO

Just look up the bulk of American indie-label rock from 94 to 98. I didn't buy that shit so I don't know it.

Either way, gimme Folk Implosion/Silver Jews anyday of the week over Bush/Candlebox.

Name 10 of em then.

GO

Either way, gimme Folk Implosion/Silver Jews anyday of the week over Bush/Candlebox.

Agreed.

I can't even lump those two bands in cos they're OG. One has Barlow. And Dave Berman >>>>>>> Pavement.

• Dave Berman = Pavement.

C'mon...can't we just agree they are two good bands, without invoking 19 fucking superlatives?

Sorry, Gene. Long day. headache.
    -g

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

.yes

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I don't find either band remotely enjoyable to listen to.

However, I find Nirvana to at least be interesting people, and have an interesting story. So Nirvana wins.

• I paired the two because both are immensely popular early-90s indie/alternative rock bands who were competing for top spots on John Peel's "Festive Fifty."

There ya go.

I'm not seeing the common thread between The Fall and Pavement, either, but if they admitted to it...

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    Wowie Zowie was like the high tide moment of the whole fucking middle 90's trip. It just completely disintegrated after that... not just Pavement, but like the whole thing. It is depressing how few worthwhile rock albums have been made in the period since that. I can't really listen to it anymore but that shit was epic.

I would disagree... Built to Spill, Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse, Blonde Redhead, Les Savy Fav, Radiohead, the Shins, and so on... it seems like it died sometime in the 2000's, when Built to Spill put out a dud record as did the Flaming Lips.

But, maybe we are talking about different things that disintegrated.

I'd take Pavement or Nirvana, they are my favorite modern rock band.