Nirvana vs. Pavement

Mad Drama TeacherMad Drama Teacher 1,985 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Don't bring your populist arguments in here, either. We all know that Nirvana influenced a million indie-rock bands, crushed hair metal, and left a number of rock standards for future shredders.Whose albums do you simply prefer to listen to? ^^^ gets my vote.

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I gotta go with Nirvana...Pavement never really "rocked" to me , and I believe that is an important quality for a rock band to have.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Pavement was influenced heavily by The Fall. seriously, listen to Grotesque and then check out Slanted and Enchanted

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i never got into pavement. i did enjoy their ode to REM on the NO ALTERNATIVE compilation, but even on that comp the hidden NIRVANA track WAAY OUTSHINED pavement's.

• not even close....pavement.

slanted and enchanted- best "indie" release of all time? quite possibly.

• And, Nirvana wanted to be the Pixies. Who cares about influences?

Pavement all day for me, though they were really very different, and not all that comparable.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    In Utero by a nose.

• In Utero is the best thing either band did so there you go.

Watery, Domestic EP is damn near perfect.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    In Utero is the best thing.

• Yes! I knew that you'd weigh in on this one, Edith. Now, I love British rock (I was debating whether to do a My Bloody Valentine vs The Jesus and Mary Chain thread instead of this one), and some would say it's essential to like The Fall, but I can't get into them. Probably the only major British band of the 80s I don't like.

HU, Nirvana wins as far as "rock me" factor goes, but some of those songs off of In Utero are unlistenable -- "Tourette's" for example. Pavement has the lyrics.

Lingering question: What would Steve Albini have done for Pavement?

"Tourette's"

youve never had a bad day and threw this on and just banged your head. its SO therapeutic.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    close call between in utero and crooked rain but i guess i'll go with nirvana.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I have never heard a single thing Pavement has done.

I know...

Edit* I take that back - I have 3 Pavement albums in my iTunes and I like the song "Cut My Hair."

It's Helmet that I have never heard.

• wowee zowee is my favorite record either of them did.

though, nirvana should get some points for unplugged; great performance. nevermind the overplayed.

• "Tourette's"

youve never had a bad day and threw this on and just banged your head. its SO therapeutic.

I see where you're coming from.

I go to "Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle" when I'm in that mood.

Singing "I miss the comfort in being sad" seems to do the trick. Very emo.

Then I put on my "I wish the lawn was emo so it would cut itself" shirt and sulk for the rest of the day.

hahahaha!

frances farmer is prob my favorite song on that album.

• hahahaha!

frances farmer is prob my favorite song on that album.

Heart-Shaped Box followed by FF, although HSB should have half a minute shaved off at the end.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I really loved both in their day, but find myself still more able to play Pavement albums. Both are also bands I have lots of memories seeing live too, which kinda makes hearing their records weird nowadays... if that makes sense.

who had the best b-sides?
    again i dont know shit about pavement, but nirvana had:

curmudgeon
    aneurysm
    oh the guilt
    mv
    marigold
    etc
    etc
    etc

• Both are also bands I have lots of memories seeing live too

Fuck you.

Hcrink = nay.

Both are also bands I have lots of memories seeing live too

Fuck you.

Hcrink = nay.

Don't hate me for my mad indie guitar cred, dude.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i havent seriously listened to Nirvana since Bleach came out.

Pavement hands down all day any day

i havent seriously listened to Nirvana since Bleach came out.

you sound too cool.

b/w an 11 and a half minute demo of the under two minute "very ape":

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Slanted and Enchanted just may be the best, most complete album from that whole indie period, BUT...

Nothing is fucking with Bleach when it comes to that rawness...that in the end is much more important than cleverness.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    what can i say its just da truth... Nirvana never floated my boat and im old

on the other hand i saw pavement live a good 1/2 dozen times, and for some weird reason have more bootleg pavement shows than i can shake a stick at.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Can't really understand the pairing/comparison - it's not like I ever get in a particular mood to hear something and it comes down to choosing between these two, but I'll play!

Nirvana all the way - Slanted and Enchanted is a beautiful record, especially if you are freshly in love, and they have some nice 45s, but record for record and live shows, too, I pick Nirvana.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Pavement was influenced heavily by The Fall. seriously, listen to Grotesque and then check out Slanted and Enchanted

I agree- but i'd still rather listen to Slanted!

Slanted and Enchanted just may be the best, most complete album from that whole indie period, BUT...

Nothing is fucking with Bleach when it comes to that rawness...that in the end is much more important than cleverness.

I'm a huge Pavement fan- but I have to completely agree with this statement.Well done sir. You know more than Texas rap!

Seeing deluxe double CD super remasterd anniversary edition of Slanted & Enchanted at Tower a few years ago was a defining "I'm not young anymore" moment for me.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    as much of a pavement fan that I am, I'd go with Nirvana.

Seeing deluxe double CD super remasterd anniversary edition of Slanted & Enchanted at Tower a few years ago was a defining "I'm not young anymore" moment for me.

i acctually have that on cassette...