Mighty Collectros Deconstructed

124»

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    "Like all homosocial activities, a serious devotion to collecting may even hinder a man from acquring the regular company of a sympathetic woman, and not just because so many record collectors end up with the unkempt look of the nerd... real life encounters never measure up to the fantasies so compellingly inscribed in his favorite records, and, of course, he cannot meet a woman with the same rarefied but crucial attitudes about m usic that he shares only with his fellow collectors, all of them male."

Its true, its true ..... oh God, its all true.......

• I think I'd like to start collecting sheet music instead.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I've been reading a lot of scripts lately, you know its much cheaper than actually going to the movies.

• I saw an article in some egyptian archeology magazine about vintage 'egypt' themed sheet music. The covers were awesome. I should have bought that issue. I think it was KTM or something like that.

• Sheet music is cool.

• well, i thought the article was, to use a hoary old jazz expression, "jive".

this norman mailer inspired "white hipster" hokum and lacanian clap-trap is full of so many sweeping generalizations and stereotypes as to be almost comical.

it could be argued just as forcefully that obsessed collectro types are more concerned with attaining a sense of immortality rather than with enhancing their masculinity.

that said, it was a thought-provoking read even though i completely disagree with its premise and conclusion.

"call me deacon blues"

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Should we also assume that white gay men who collect Lesley Gore and "Girl Group" records are doing so to vicariously live through the femininity of said artists?

Or are these just negative stereotypes?

• I don't see what's particularly controversial about an idea like that... it's talking about the ethos that drives a collector's taste, not some kind of "anyone who collects rap is a wigger" or "anyone who collects disco is a fag".

• I'd like to see the people who write these kinds of papers 'deconstructed'.

Surely this dude is getting no TANG.