THE WIRE SEASON TWO?

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I thought the whole dealer disneyland part of S3 was almost like a cartoon. I enjoyed every series, bombed through all 50+ episodes in a week doing upto 8 hour binges and am already watching em again but at a slower pace. It just seemed to really be pushing the boundaries of reality, stretching my sense of disbelief just a little. Theres simply no way in hell any police chief could get away with what he did. Just my 2c.

wasn't "hamsterdam" based on some schitt that really did happen?

On one of the special features of Season 3 (the hour-long partial cast interview), Simon answers that question - to the effect of "I just came up with that on my own."

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    I thought the whole dealer disneyland part of S3 was almost like a cartoon. I enjoyed every series, bombed through all 50+ episodes in a week doing upto 8 hour binges and am already watching em again but at a slower pace. It just seemed to really be pushing the boundaries of reality, stretching my sense of disbelief just a little. Theres simply no way in hell any police chief could get away with what he did. Just my 2c.

EDIT: after doing a quick google search, I guess not... I coulda swore i read something to that effect when I first started getting into the Wire. Ah well.... nevermind.

needle exchange program was on the real....the head of the health dept or whatever under royce is actually the former mayor of baltimore kurt schmoke.

http://www.drugtext.org/library/specials/warondrugs/wodschmo.htm

also onetet....where abouts in baltimore are you from? im sayin in highlandtown and shit there are definitely idiots that speak like zig. he might have been a lil over the top, but he was supposed to be a drunk bal'moron.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

also onetet....where abouts in baltimore are you from? im sayin in highlandtown and shit there are definitely idiots that speak like zig. he might have been a lil over the top, but he was supposed to be a drunk bal'moron.

I'm south Hampden/Remington and lived in town for 11 years, grew up in the area. I've never met anyone who talked like Zig, but maybe I've just been lucky.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    oh yeah where'd you go to highschool that your teacher broke down?

i was born in mt royal, moved on up to the suburbs and while i wait to finish grad school, thinkin about movin back to the city.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

EDIT: after doing a quick google search, I guess not... I coulda swore i read something to that effect when I first started getting into the Wire. Ah well.... nevermind.

I think one of the inspirations for that storyline was the former mayor of baltimore, that was shortly featured in season 3, wanted to legalize drugs, which became a big controversy for a while.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

I think one of the inspirations for that storyline was the former mayor of baltimore, that was shortly featured in season 3, wanted to legalize drugs, which became a big controversy for a while.

a-ight cool... i thought i was slippin' there for a minute.

• Best show on tv. Hands down.

Not only should you not skip anything, these are dvds one must own.

I haven't seen season 4 yet, but season 3 is by far my favorite.

------- And Cutty is one of the coolest fuckers ever in all tv (thru season 3 at least).

When the hell is season 4 coming out?

To pass the time me and my roommate are watching other HBO shit, like Sopranos and Carnivale. They don't even hold a candle.

If anything deserves its this series.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts

As for me, the only "worhtless" season was the 4 because it was just a way to install season 5 more than a real "season". But Season 2 was good. Not great but good. I prefred the 3.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    the only "worhtless" season was the 4 because it was just a way to install season 5 more than a real "season".

Oakland Mills HS in Howard County.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

------- And Cutty is one of the coolest fuckers ever in all tv (thru season 3 at least).

Co-sign on Cutty, he won't let you down in Season 4 either. And he is so dreamy.

To pass the time me and my roommate are watching other HBO shit, like Sopranos and Carnivale. They don't even hold a candle.

I liked the little nod to Deadwood in the hospital in Season 4.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

I think my favorite scene in the entire series is Cutty jogging on election day to "Move On Up." They pack pretty much everything into that single scene.

"You voting today?"

Cutty: "I'm a felon."

• edulusedulus 421 Posts

Oakland Mills HS in Howard County.

word i heard they got the KKK in howard county

word i heard they got the KKK in howard county

maybe in the rural areas. columbia is very suburban. it's the suburb being made fun of in "boondocks."

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    naw my auntie live out there

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

As for me, the only "worhtless" season was the 4 because it was just a way to install season 5 more than a real "season". But Season 2 was good. Not great but good. I prefred the 3.

You are tripping.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Yes i am...indeed...The Wire is the best show i've seen hands down, hats off, thumbs up, whatever you want. But if you look back at the pace of each season, the 4 is mad slow. Too slow. You wish the takeover would go faster, but they made you wait season 5!!!...I'm just mad that 5 is not out actually. That's why i'am amped about it. I didn't know i would raise eyebrows with that comment tho'. Sorry. Mea Culpa.

You wish the takeover would go faster, but they made you wait season 5!!!...

dude what are you even talking about?

I think the take-over refers to Marlo and Avon.

I totally disagree with the pace being too slow; any faster, it would be that much more like all the other crap cops and criminals shows that cater to short attention spans and do not take the time to let characters and story-lines sink in and actually take shape and go beyond music video dimensions.

I think the take-over refers to Marlo and Avon.

even if he that's what he means....what is he talking about?

but they made you wait season 5!!!...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The actor that played Ziggy tried really way too hard to nail the accent but it came out as some sort of perverted Boston twang. I just think that the actor just never heard it before, because anyone who grew up in the area between Northern Virginia and South Jersey knows, and probably speaks with to a degree, that accent.

yeah he sounded wrong. but can we take a moment to appreciate those that aren't even american and yet still pulled off convincing accents? Idris Elba is obviously worthy of praise in this regard, but so it Carcetti. and McNulty slips from time-to-time but I still think he's on point mostly considering how mcuh he talks in seasons 1-3.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The actor that played Ziggy tried really way too hard to nail the accent but it came out as some sort of perverted Boston twang. I just think that the actor just never heard it before, because anyone who grew up in the area between Northern Virginia and South Jersey knows, and probably speaks with to a degree, that accent.

Believe it or not, the dude is a Baltimore native. It came as a huge surprise to me, too.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Damn, Carcetti isn't American? He fucking nails his accent, reigon and all. Idris did a good job and Dominick West was a little shakey on the first season but he tightened up and really gets it by season 2.

Speaking of the actors, since I've been watching The Wire these years I've noticed all the actors in other shows, bit pieces, character actors, roles on "Law & Order" etc. I often see 2 or 3 Wire characters in another show at the same time. I always do a little "hell yes" to myself when I recognize one of them, like glad to see them working and shit, even though I think they mostly must be pre-Wire.

Someone told me he actually grew up around here, but if he's from Bmore he must be a rich kid or a transplant or both to overdo it so bad. He was also in the (godawful) John Waters movie that came out about 2 years back. The only other credit I know of for him offhand is Larry Clark's movie Ken Park.

I'm going to look into this character on IMDB... okay, his name's James Ransone and he grew up in Towson and went to the arts magnet school there. That makes sense.

Damn, Carcetti isn't American? He fucking nails his accent, reigon and all. Idris did a good job and Dominick West was a little shakey on the first season but he tightened up and really gets it by season 2.

Speaking of the actors, since I've been watching The Wire these years I've noticed all the actors in other shows, bit pieces, character actors, roles on "Law & Order" etc. I often see 2 or 3 Wire characters in another show at the same time. I always do a little "hell yes" to myself when I recognize one of them, like glad to see them working and shit, even though I think they mostly must be pre-Wire.

yeah I recently saw a L&O with both Rawls and Burrel (or was it Daniels?). interestingly enough the episode began with the whole CompStat powerpoint grilling session of the sort that was so big with Burell and Rawls in Season 3.

Dom West and Elba seems to have good little post-Wire film careers going. Here's hoping the others continue to get some shine, though I fear that actors such as Michael Kenneth Williams will be relegated to B-level hood flicks and R Kelly videos. hope I'm wrong.

• I saw a preview at Bourne Supremacy where Omar popped up, me and wifey and a few others in the audience were all like "OMAR!"

I have the exact opposite reaction! Of course, folks gotta work and make a living, but I cringe at post-Wire appearances like Bubbles and Daniels on CSI: Miami and Wee-Bey on ER. I feel bad for anyone who has to share screen time with Caruso.

L&O shares a lot of actors with HBO it seems - lots of folks from Oz and I've seen the odd Deadwood person here and there, too.

Will someone PLEASE hire Snoop after Season 5?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    They get paid time and a half for working with David Caruso.

They get paid time and a half for working with David Caruso.

lol - still not enough!!

Eric...