Upright Bass

Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
What are some of your favorite songs featuring funky upright bass (non-straight-jazz)? I love the sound, and I think it is underused. Or maybe I just don't know the deal?Some of my picks:Dynamic Concepts - Whatcha want us to doCarol Kaye - Picking up on the E StringOverton Berry Trio - Hey JudeMelvin Jackson - Funky SkullRamsey Lewis - Kufanya Mapenzi

Comments

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    hmm. that's a tough one if you're only talking funky stuff. the 1st one to come to mind (non-funky) is herbie hancock's "speak like a child" i highly recommend listening to the song but only focus on the bassline...

• haw right now by patrice rushen has a nice stand up bassline or "blitz bass" as it is reffered to on the liner notes

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Lately, I can't seem to get enough of the bassline on Buddy Montgomery's "Willy Nilly Blues".

• I'm interested in anything, aside from the obvious straight jazz or bluegrass.

Silver Cycles, 1974 Blues - Eddie Harris

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Flora Purim "Stories To Tell"
    The only good song on Bill Conti's An Unmarried Woman soundtrack

• Arthur Monday - What Goes Around Comes Around

• brown paper bag - roni size

that track still gets me hype.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

theres a facemelter on this one.

second thing that comes to mind is Pharoah Sanders "Thembi"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Anything by the Rock & Roll Trio

edit: oh, yeah, requires a broad concept of "funky"

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Overton Berry Trio - Hey Jude

i'll take a superstar over a hey jude any day (even though theyre pretty damn similar)

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Ron Carter kills it on Compared to What from Roberta Flack's First Take LP.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    brown paper bag - roni size

that track still gets me hype.

I agree, this track is like the c.r.e.a.m. or t.r.o.y of drum and bass

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    He also kills it on his first LP on Embryo. Damn, can??t remember the name of the track OR the LP! Help! He??s playing with his kids on the cover... it??s black and white... ehm, it??s track #1 I think, nice flute, good drums.. er... uh... urgh.

Another one on Embryo that came to mind is "The Meeting" by Phil Woods and his European Rhythm Machine. The bassist sings along to every single note in this really fast (but funky) solo. It goes something along the lines of

DUDUDUDUDUD DU UD DUD UDUDUD DUDUD HA HA AH AH DUDUDUDUDDUDUUDUUUDUUDUDUDUDDUNDUNDUNDDUUDU HA AH AHAH DUN DUN DUDNDUNDDUDNUDUNDNDUNN!

Great stuff.

- J

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    UPTOWN CONVERSATION

Whew.

- J

• i have this reno jazz lp that has a pretty nice solo upright by carol kaye. but for funky upright i always defer to mingus. iibs is prolly his best example.

• Any of you guys heard this non funky comp:"How Low Can You Go? : Anthology of the String Bass (1925-1941)"

img src=" ]http://dust-digital.com/images/DTD04.jpg" alt="" />

http://dust-digital.com/bass.htm

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Hummin' - Cannonball Adderley

• Thanks for the responses! Some really good ones. 'Superstar' is . I still maintain that it is underused though.
    I have to give mention to Medeski Martin and Wood in this thread though, check 'Strance of the Spirit Red Gator', 'Chubb Sub', and 'The Lover'.

• Thought of a couple more:

Michael White's Magic Music Company - Go With The Flow, and In The Silence (Listen)

• arlid andersen playing on jan garbarek's "afric pepperbird"

charlie haden on don cherry's "brown rice"

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    Ron Carter- Man with the sad face

boom boom ba-da-dip-ba, doom doom ba-da-dip-ba, doom doom ba-da-dip-ba boom boom

DUDUDUDUDUD DU UD DUD UDUDUD DUDUD HA HA AH AH DUDUDUDUDDUDUUDUUUDUUDUDUDUDDUNDUNDUNDDUUDU HA AH AHAH DUN DUN DUDNDUNDDUDNUDUNDNDUNN!

acoustic text bass jam

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some of mine (off top):

-"As She Starts"-Jackson Heights.
    -"Call Me"-Bilal.
    -"Good Humor Man"-Blue Mitchell.
    -"Cantaloupe Island"-Howard Roberts Quartet.
    -"Young Lovers"-Van Morrison.
    -"Make it with You"-Young-Holt Unlimited (especially near the end).
    -"Candy Man"-$ OST.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak