124»

Comments

• Bud Selig = Wild Card, Interleague, and World Baseball Classic.

He has his shortcomings, no doubt, but those are some really good moves.

• Bud Selig = Wild Card, Interleague, and World Baseball Classic.

He has his shortcomings, no doubt, but those are some really good moves.

I give him slack because he was basically sort of forced into a job it didn't really seem he wanted at the time. I think he would've been content to just keep owning/running the Brewers. I guess over time he just sort of accepted the position and I'm surprised he's still doing it.

I don't think a lot of people know what was going down behind the scenes w/ the whole steroid fiasco in the mid to late 90s. Donald Fehr used to wield a damn strong pimphand.

The curtain has been pulled for a lot of historical baseball numbers. Things will henceforth be discussed within the framework of their era. Aaron might not be THE homerun king anymore, but he's still A homerun king.

The best is when people want to talk about what kind of player or person Babe Ruth was. Oh really? Where'd you see those ESPN highlights at, dude?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Once again, rootlesscosmo is revealing himself as a stupid, contrarian asshole. Isn't your name Chad? I already feel sorry for you on that one, but even more lamentable is that you were born with a functioning set of hands.

JimBeam, you, too, need to have a Lavinia Andronicus pulled on you.

I don't understand how anyone can blame Bud Selig for this. When he tried to be proactive and put a tough steroid policy into effect, he was beaten by the MLBPA. The players are getting their just desserts right now. All of the greats from the steroid era are starting to look suspect and, to me, they did it to themselves.

who are you again? seriously I am cramming to understand. you're one of the many little gnats that have swarmed this site in the last 6 mos, right? I'm feeling how you guys are all totall interchangeable; it's fresh.

I see your name and not a single memorable post/distinguishable point of view comes to mind....

and "contrarian" (to those of us who know how to read/feed themselves) means someone who presents contrary points of view just because. I'm a born-and-bred Giants fan. so knowledge us: what exactly is "contrarian" about defending my team?

• Punk ass steroid Barry Bonds. This shit is wack. Who cares?

HANK AARON WILL ALWAYS BE THAT REAL DUDE!

Big up to Hank Aaron

Thank you.

And for the record, I hated on Barry even before he was a Giant and when he was still skinny.

I'd like to hijack this thread and give it up for one of my all-time favorite players, one who is a first ballot lock for the Hall of Fame, CRAIG MOTHERFUCKING BIGGIO, who recently announced that this, his 19th season all with the same team, will be his last.

He is one of a dying breed: a hard-working guy who plays for the love of the game. Not unlike Mr. Henry Aaron, the one and only Brave I've never hated.

• I'd like to hijack this thread and give it up for one of my all-time favorite players, one who is a first ballot lock for the Hall of Fame, CRAIG MOTHERFUCKING BIGGIO, who recently announced that this, his 19th season all with the same team, will be his last.

Not to hate, cos I'm indifferent on Biggio, but I've read a couple of articles this Summer that questioned whether Biggio might NOT be a first ballot HOFer even with his 3000 hits. Point being he was just GOOD and CONSISTENT for a long time but never did anything great or memorable in his career. No career defining moments.

The multi postion thing may work in his benefit.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

I'd like to hijack this thread and give it up for one of my all-time favorite players, one who is a first ballot lock for the Hall of Fame, CRAIG MOTHERFUCKING BIGGIO, who recently announced that this, his 19th season all with the same team, will be his last.

Not to hate, cos I'm indifferent on Biggio, but I've read a couple of articles this Summer that questioned whether Biggio might NOT be a first ballot HOFer even with his 3000 hits. Point being he was just GOOD and CONSISTENT for a long time but never did anything great or memorable in his career. No career defining moments.

Having 3000 hits in the steroid era will help him more than hurt him, I think. I'm curious to see how Ichiro fares when he's eligible.

• I'd like to hijack this thread and give it up for one of my all-time favorite players, one who is a first ballot lock for the Hall of Fame, CRAIG MOTHERFUCKING BIGGIO, who recently announced that this, his 19th season all with the same team, will be his last.

He also has four gold gloves, but here's why I think he should be a lock: he trails only Hughie Jennings (who?) in all-time hit-by-pitch numbers--and he only trails by two! I mean, damn, he's taken one for the team 285 times. Give that man a plaque!

And I absolutely agree on the multi-position thing. For those that don't know, he started as a catcher (and was great), but then moved to 2nd base, where he was incredible, and now is an outfielder.

EDIT: Most single-minded blog ever? http://plunkbiggio.blogspot.com/

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Rootless.........serious question.

How would feel about Bonds and his record if he had been a Yankee his whole career??

• Rootless.........serious question.

How would you feel about Bonds and his record if he had been a Yankee Dodger his whole career??

How would feel about Bonds and his record if he had been a Yankee his whole career??

dude like I said I am a born-and-bred Giants fan! I would never come in here and pretend that I would feel this strongly if dude didn't play for my squad. that would be dishonest; you know I'm not on that shit. I love that this guy has repped so hard for my team.

still: check the stats, dude was/is fresh by any benchmark.

seven National League Most Valuable Player awards, eight Gold Glove awards, a N.L. batting title, 74 home runs in a season, 500/500.

I mean c'mon...

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    74 home runs in a season

74 home runs in a season

Even Gary Sheffield has said that this was some "illegal" shit.

dude like I said I am a born-and-bred Giants fan! I would never come in here and pretend that I would feel this strongly if dude didn't play for my squad. that would be dishonest; you know I'm not on that shit. I love that this guy has repped so hard for my team.

seven National League Most Valuable Player awards, eight Gold Glove awards, a N.L. batting title, 74 home runs in a season, 500/500.

I mean c'mon...

I hear ya.....but knowing this it really shouldn't surprise you that most baseball fans hate the dude and everything he stands for.

I mean c'mon...

I hear ya.....but knowing this it really shouldn't surprise you that most baseball fans hate the dude and everything he stands for.

it doesn't surprise/bother me that people question his record.

and it doesn't surprise me (anymore) that people hate him. it does bother me though. the hate thing I think is WAAAAAAY over the top in relation to his alleged transgressions.

it's like conservatives toward the Clintons: irrational.

How would you feel about Bonds and his record if he had been a Yankee Dodger his whole career??

hogg: you are a transplant to SF. what's your take? do you hatt on Bonds because of the steroid issue? have you soaked up any of the Giants fan appreciation? just wondering how an out-of-towner who lives in Bonds' town feels.

I mean c'mon...

and it doesn't surprise me (anymore) that people hate him. it does bother me though. the hate thing I think is WAAAAAAY over the top in relation to his alleged transgressions.

hey...they're both Cheaters

I mean c'mon...

hey...they're both Cheaters

"Bonds lied/no one died"?

• hogg: you are a transplant to SF. what's your take? do you hatt on Bonds because of the steroid issue? have you soaked up any of the Giants fan appreciation? just wondering how an out-of-towner who lives in Bonds' town feels.

A fair/excellent question. I'm a lifelong Astros fan, but what few know is that for years, I was a Pirates fan (the '79 World Series with the "We Are Family" Pirates was the first Series I ever watched). I kind of gave up being a Pirates fan in the early to mid-90s when I could no longer catch any of their games on TV and found it too hard to keep up.

But I was still a Pirates fan when Bonds was with them and there were constantly losing to the (hated) Braves. And Bonds choked/had a prima donna attitude every post-season that made me dislike him, even when he was with one of my favorite teams.

And as much as I love SF--it is absolutely my home and has been for 10 years--I can't just up and become a Giants fan. You of all people know that your team is your team. I never liked the Giants 'cause they played against Houston (dude, I hated Jack Clark--top that), so I can't start liking them now.

Which sucks, because I'd love to love them (no Donna Summers).