Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

this sums it all up

• When you start making decisions that you are willing to compromise your own safety to succeed, and thereby punish those who are not willing to make the decision to risk their health, life, legal repercussions, etc. for a competitve advantage, then the stakes are much higher, and no level of tolerance should be accepted.

I agree. All I'm saying is the sports world is corrupt- at least, a bit shady. It's entertainment, that's all.

Agreed.

But, anyone who is saying, 'I blame baseball. They knew.' is leaving out the fact that the player's and their union rep (the most powerful in Sports, btw) threatened things up to and including strike to keep testing out of the game.

It ain't just baseball's fault; the players were implicit in all of this.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

this sums it all up

....in your mind garden.

seriously I am pretty sure Jack Dempsey woulda gotten KO'd by Tyson, but hey they were both heavyweight champs right?

Bonds beat the best players of his era for this title.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Everyone's had the same opportunities in MLB to be as 'roided up as he has- he's just been better at it.

Ummm... are you serious? Wow, I never looked at it that way before. All the players that didn't take steroids are just suckers who missed an "opportunity." Good point.

Exaggerating one's point to make it seem ridiculous is a solid argument strategy. Really. Kinda like sarcastic agreement.

Haha.

Ok then, here is the disconnect: you see steroids as an "opportunity," I see it as cheating.
    ok then.

trust me, if there was a drug to make me a better and more profitable analyst, i would take it.

But, if it gave you an advantage over your coworkers, and better opportunities for a raise/promotion/advancement, while risking your health and life, I would hope you would be banned from analyzing.
    I think we probably have different opinions about drug use.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Didn't know Cuban had a blog. Took me until the whee hours of the morning, but here's my take on it. Similar in stance to Cuban's.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    In my private mind garden the guy who caught Bonds 756 ball pulls out a sharpie, draws a big asterisk on it, and throws it back on the field!!

In my private mind garden the guy who caught Bonds 756 ball pulls out a sharpie, draws a big asterisk on it, and throws it back on the field!!

yeah right.

$$$$ >>>>> bullshit fake "principles" of Bond hatteurs

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    In my private mind garden Bonds got intentionally walked until he retired.

What are the odds of a New Yorker getting the home run ball? Dude must have been carrying a stun gun with him.

• HEY ROOTLESS, HOW IS THE WEATHER ON BARRY'S NUTS???

This is hilarious. NFL Live is dissecting the scramble for Bond's 765 home run ball. lol

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2965703

"The first thing I saw once it hit was I'm sure somebody was coming out of that pile bloodied," Philadelphia Phillies star Ryan Howard said. "I'm sure they were in there scratching, clawing, scraping, punching, kicking, doing whatever they could do to get that ball."

That's about what happened, Murphy said.

"When I caught the ball, I just curled up under a bleacher and immediately there was a 30-person dogpile," Murphy told the News.

"I kept yelling, 'I got it! I got it!" he said. "The SFPD saved my life."

HEY ROOTLESS, HOW IS THE WEATHER ON BARRY'S NUTS???

hahaha. I am merely basking in the glory that Bonds has brought my team and my city. I consider this only natural considering I was born and raised here.

you guys on the other hand are wasting time/energy/brain cells hating someone else's team, someone else's town and someone else's slugger's achievement.

petty.

HEY ROOTLESS, HOW IS THE WEATHER ON BARRY'S NUTS???

hahaha. I am merely basking in the glory that Bonds has brought my team and my city. I consider this only natural considering I was born and raised here.

you guys on the other hand are wasting time/energy/brain cells hating someone else's team, someone else's town and someone else's slugger's achievement.

petty.

Welcome to the realm of Laker fandom.

• HEY ROOTLESS, HOW IS THE WEATHER ON BARRY'S NUTS???

You guys on the other hand are wasting time/energy/brain cells hating someone else's team, someone else's town and someone else's slugger's achievement.

Really? Noooo...they're pretty much just hating on Barry.

I'm pretty MOR on this deal. It's a product of post 1994 baseball.

Like Barry isn't a polarizing figure. Feed off the hate. You aren't gonna change any opinions.

What did you think of the analysis of Barry's "armor"?? I think it's interesting either way. HE NEEDS THAT SHIT DUN THEY TRYNA ASSASINATE HIM GOD!!!!!

• i would just like to point out that pac bell park has really good concessions.

i would just like to point out that pac bell park has really good concessions.

dude. the chicken finger/garlic fries combo? CRACK.

and can we take a moment to appreciate not only that Barry broke the record, but how Barry broke it? that was no over-the-close-right-field fence shit. dude LAUNCHED it. and he knew it. a classic homer.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

petty.

I love your city and your team....Mays & McCovey were my childhood heros.

The only baseball I've ever caught at a MLB game was a Stan Javier foul ball at Pac Bell.

I got to hang out with Bob Brenly in the Giants Locker Room.

Barry Bonds gets no love from me.

• that and microbrews. is stinking rose still there? pull pork sammiches, like some sort of fancy boofet type thing man this place kills it with the food. im stuck down here with some sad dodger dogs n shit.

ps
    go blue!

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    There is a certain "don't hate the player, hate the game" element to this.

I'm not an expert so I'm asking this honestly and non-rhetorically, did Bonds actually do anything outside of the rulebook? Seems like if baseball wanted to crack down on steriods or other performance enhancers they could have done so at anytime.

Don't forget that Baseball stats are inherently flawed anyways as some of the best players in the world didn't get to play in the MLB until the 50s.

• covecove 1,566 Posts

roids don't give you the pure, natural swing that Barry possesses.

No they don't but his armor does!!

==================================================

Exclusive: Barry Bonds' Home Run Record Tainted by Mechanical Device?

By Michael Witte

Published: August 06, 2007 10:45 AM

NEW YORK (Commentary) Beyond his alleged steroid use, Barry Bonds is guilty of the use of something that confers extraordinarily unfair mechanical advantage: the ???armor??? that he wears on his right elbow. Amid the press frenzy over Bonds??? unnatural bulk, the true role of the object on his right arm has simply gone unnoticed.

This is unfortunate, because by my estimate, Bonds??? front arm ???armor??? may have contributed no fewer than 75 to 100 home runs to his already steroid-questionable total.
    Bonds tied Henry Aaron???s home run record of 755 on Saturday night and will go for the new standard this week back at home in San Francisco.

As a student of baseball ??? and currently a mechanics consultant to a major league baseball team -- I believe I have insight into the Bonds "achievement." I have studied his swing countless times on video and examined the mechanical gear closely through photographs.

For years, sportswriters remarked that his massive "protective" gear ??? unequaled in all of baseball -- permits Bonds to lean over the plate without fear of being hit by a pitch. Thus situated, Bonds can handle the outside pitch (where most pitchers live) unusually well. This is unfair advantage enough, but no longer controversial. However, it is only one of at least seven (largely unexplored) advantages conferred by the apparatus.

The other six:

1) The apparatus is hinged at the elbow. It is a literal "hitting machine" that allows Bonds to release his front arm on the same plane during every swing. It largely accounts for the seemingly magical consistency of every Bonds stroke.

2) The apparatus locks at the elbow when the lead arm is fully elongated because of a small flap at the top of the bottom section that fits into a groove in the bottom of the top section. The locked arm forms a rigid front arm fulcrum that allows extraordinary, maximally efficient explosion of the levers of Bonds' wrists. Bonds hands are quicker than those of average hitters because of his mechanical "assistant."

3) When Bonds swings, the weight of the apparatus helps to seal his inner upper arm to his torso at impact. Thus "connected," he automatically hits the ball with the weight of his entire body - not just his arms - as average hitters ("extending") tend to do.

4) Bonds has performed less well in Home Run Derbies than one might expect because he has no excuse to wear a "protector" facing a batting practice pitcher. As he tires, his front arm elbow tends to lift and he swings under the ball, producing towering pop flies or topspin liners that stay in the park. When the apparatus is worn, its weight keeps his elbow down and he drives the ball with backspin.

5) Bonds enjoys quicker access to the inside pitch than average hitters because his "assistant" - counter-intuitively - allows him to turn more rapidly. Everyone understands that skaters accelerate their spins by pulling their arms into their torsos, closer to their axes of rotation. When Bonds is confronted with an inside pitch, he spins like a skater because his upper front arm is "assistant"-sealed tightly against the side of his chest.

6) At impact, Bonds has additional mass (the weight of his "assistant") not available to the average hitter. The combined weight of "assistant" and bat is probably equal to the weight of the lumber wielded by Babe Ruth but with more manageable weight distribution.

At the moment, Bonds' apparatus enjoys "grandfathered" status. Similar devices are presently denied to average
    major leaguers, who must present evidence of injury before receiving an exemption.

Bonds has worn some sort of front arm protection since 1992. In '94, a one-piece forearm guard was replaced by a jointed, two piece elbow model. In ???95 it got bigger and a small "cap" on the elbow was replaced by a "flap" that overlapped the upper piece and locked the two pieces together when the arm was elongated. In '96, the "apparatus" grew even larger and so did the "flap."

It seems to have remained relatively the same until -- interestingly??? 2001, the year of his record 73 home runs, when an advanced model appeared made (apparently) of a new material. It had softer edges and a groove for the flap to slip into automatically at full arm elongation. More important, the upper half of the machine was sculpted to conform more comfortably to the contours of Bonds' upper arm. Since 2001, the apparatus seems to have remained relatively unchanged.

Several years back, baseball was rightfully scandalized by the revelation that Sammy Sosa had "corked" his bat. The advantages conferred by the Bonds "hitting machine," however, far exceed anything supplied by cork. Ultimately, it appears the Bonds "achievement??? must be regarded as partly the product of ???double duplicity" -- steroidal and mechanical.

Ultimately, it appears the Bonds "achievement??? must be regarded as partly the product of ???double duplicity" -- steroidal and mechanical.

LOL.

I love it. the conventional hate for Barry is just not enough for this writer; he needs to take it up a notch.

yo, you saw those socks Barry was wearing right? definitely not regulation. I mean, that was a wool/cotton/space-age polymer blend the likes of which the commission should definitely be testing for.

ultimately, Barry's record is a product of "triple duplicity": steroidal, mechanical, and sock-related.

GTFOHWTBS.

YOU ALL SOUND ASSHURT.

YOU ALL SOUND ASSHURT.

I don't think that's the appropriate phrase in this case. Ass-hurt is when the Dirk Riders were crushed after their 1st elimination to the Dubs.
    Dudes are mad for good reason about this one.

• YOU ALL SOUND ASSHURT.

I don't think that's the appropriate phrase in this case. Ass-hurt is when the Dirk Riders were crushed after their 1st elimination to the Dubs.
    Dudes are mad for good reason about this one.

Make your points applicable mang. We took our medicine.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Edit: They switched the pic that said "Mr. Murphy, we want the opportunity to bid on your auction!"

A.K.A. "we" want the fees from that goddamn thing.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

The dude who caught the ball should put it up on Ebay as a Buy-It-Now.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• Once again, rootlesscosmo is revealing himself as a stupid, contrarian asshole. Isn't your name Chad? I already feel sorry for you on that one, but even more lamentable is that you were born with a functioning set of hands.

JimBeam, you, too, need to have a Lavinia Andronicus pulled on you.

I don't understand how anyone can blame Bud Selig for this. When he tried to be proactive and put a tough steroid policy into effect, he was beaten by the MLBPA. The players are getting their just desserts right now. All of the greats from the steroid era are starting to look suspect and, to me, they did it to themselves.

• Wow...a rare species has revealed itself: Bud Selig Fan.