Mark Ronson appreciation thraed?

DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Can this be the first thread on Mark Ronson? With all the love for Amy and Sharon lately, I figured there would be more buzz on Version, I have really been diggin this album, some of the tracks are just OK, but "Outversion" is my jam, even if it is just an outro/interlude, the Dap Kings fucking kill it! The Strut has def. put me on to new music styles I never really foxed with before!PeaceZeb

Comments

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    his sister is lesbian with Lohan. that's credibility enough.

• I really like his "Toxic" version. His the whole record made of that type of retake/covers?

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

Especially as a pre-party CD (tested in the field last Friday).

- J

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

I broke down and bought the Version LP as it looks like I'm going to be doing some fairly mainstream events soon, and it's nice to be able to play at least one song that joe public knows and I don't detest.

Stop Me is a great track, and I have drunkenly wigged out to this myself at clubs. Great fun.
    The Robbie Williams track... (oh my god, I can't believe what I'm typing)

is actually quite good.

Just I like a lot too.

• we ate mushrooms 14 years ago and he went off on how hoodies were one of the greatest inventions ever. hell yeah i appreciate that dude

plus, the accent rocks

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    dual accent

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    he's a dope DJ no question and i'm feelin the new record. But I predict it's gonna sound horrible by January.

File under: wont date well.

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
    Yeah, w/ vocals by Amy and Robbie Williams I don't think I'll be playing this months from now. But damn, this is a totally unique blend of 60s soul, breaks and other sounds I dig, and the overall result really works for me. Respect for pulling off something that pleases Strutters and Beckys alike!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Can this be the first thread on Mark Ronson?

this most certainly is not the first thread on Mark Ronson.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I like both Nikki Costa albums.

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts

I searched for one!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

I searched for one!

it was about a month ago and started off with a comment about the Ronson banner ad that was running at the time. turned into a little Ronson love fest. no hate; just saying.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I really dug that cover of Radiohead's Just when it was posted up a whiiiile back. Then I gave the whole Versions album a listen a few weeks ago and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I just didn't think that kind of concept would really hold up for a dozen songs.

Best:

Just
    Stop Me
    Toxic
    God Put A Smile On Your Face
    Outversion
    Amy
    Valerie

Some of the lead horn solo lines on the album make me

I searched for one!

it was about a month ago and started off with a comment about the Ronson banner ad that was running at the time. turned into a little Ronson love fest. no hate; just saying.

I really dug that cover of Radiohead's Just when it was posted up a whiiiile back. Then I gave the whole Versions album a listen a few weeks ago and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I just didn't think that kind of concept would really hold up for a dozen songs.

Best:

Just
    Stop Me
    Toxic
    God Put A Smile On Your Face
    Outversion
    Amy
    Valerie

Some of the lead horn solo lines on the album make me

The horns on Outversion give me eargasms everytime I hear them!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    ??? I dunno - I'm surprised no one's mentioned Pretty Green....to me that some of the illest shit out right now. That bass line? The 8 bit-esque percussion in the back??? FRESH.

• eargasms

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    ??? I dunno - I'm surprised no one's mentioned Pretty Green....to me that some of the illest shit out right now. That bass line? The 8 bit-esque percussion in the back??? FRESH.

It reminds me of some of those 99 Records joints from the early 80's, like ESG, the Bush Tetras and Liquid Liquid. Kinda strange hearing a Jam song done like that, although I know Paul Weller likes what Ronson's done with it.

eargasms
    Hell yeah you know what I mean, when you hear that certain part of the jam that gives you tingles up your spine!

• eargasms
    Hell yeah you know what I mean, when you hear that certain part of the jam that gives you tingles up your spine!

I think you want to say "I CAUGHT A CRAZY CASE OF "

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Im curious as to what his actual involvement with the project is - there is a band, right? and he isnt writing the songs, nor arranging the horns, i dont beleieve - is he just throwing breaks underneath the stuff? I saw footage of him in the studio and it just looked like he was vibing out as people played shit - i could be tottaly wrong, thats just how it seemed.

Im curious as to what his actual involvement with the project is - there is a band, right? and he isnt writing the songs, nor arranging the horns, i dont beleieve - is he just throwing breaks underneath the stuff? I saw footage of him in the studio and it just looked like he was vibing out as people played shit - i could be tottaly wrong, thats just how it seemed.

It's the old-fashioned producer role; get the concept, the songs, the musicians, singers, arrangers, whoever, pull it all together and make a record out of it. The kind of thing Quincy, Axelrod or Dre would do, in other words. Not saying it's up there with the work of those cats, but there's nothing wrong with aiming high, and it ain't a bad record. On some of the live footage I've seen from his festival shows over here earlier in the summer, he was playing guitar or piano on most of the songs. Dunno if he does that on the record, though.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts

It's the old-fashioned producer role; get the concept, the songs, the musicians, singers, arrangers, whoever, pull it all together and make a record out of it. The kind of thing Quincy, Axelrod and Dre would do, in other words. Not saying it's up there with the work of those cats, but there's nothing wrong with aiming high. On some of the live footage I've seen from his festival shows over here earlier in the summer, he was playing guitar or piano on most of the songs. Dunno if he does that on the record, though.

That was kind of what i figured - If this is the case, i think its a bit pompous to be credited as the artist.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    It's the old-fashioned producer role; get the concept, the songs, the musicians, singers, arrangers, whoever, pull it all together and make a record out of it. The kind of thing Quincy[/b], Axelrod or Dre would do, in other words. Not saying it's up there with the work of those cats, but there's nothing wrong with aiming high, and it ain't a bad record. On some of the live footage I've seen from his festival shows over here earlier in the summer, he was playing guitar or piano on most of the songs. Dunno if he does that on the record, though.
    Wasn't dude engaged to Kidada for a minute? Holy Nicolas Cage, batman.

The Coldplay cover has been getting blared at the crib for a minute.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

That was kind of what i figured - If this is the case, i think its a bit pompous to be credited as the artist.

Perhaps, but there's nothing unusual about it.

whatup Gam, how's things? Psycho is up in TC tonight, he hollad @ Illogik for some tables & a mixer!
    Beats by the Bay was pretty decent, Shoes and Illa J did a real dope Dilla set... Bro. Ali killed it too... And Animal Crackers...
    Peace
    Zeb

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    whatup Gam, how's things? Psycho is up in TC tonight, he hollad @ Illogik for some tables & a mixer!
    Beats by the Bay was pretty decent, Shoes and Illa J did a real dope Dilla set... Bro. Ali killed it too... And Animal Crackers...
    Peace
    Zeb
    What up champ. Good to see things are going well out your way.

I'm coolin', man. Getting my Grown Ass Man on, preparing for my ONE effort to get noticed doing this music stuff.
    Still diggin'... and I do some writing on DropMagazine.com from time to time, yeah.

Word man, I'm feelin almost grown man these days, married, just bought a house a few months ago!
    You should roll up here some time this summer and kick it... If you have time I guess, which could be tough...
    Let me know when you have an album droppin, I would love to check it out! Whassup w/ Benni, I don't really see him on SS much anymore, he busy makin RWMs?