traveling Europe?

2»

Comments

• also, dont try to see everything. try to spend a decent bit of time in at least one city/place

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    .. Scandinavia, Germany & France might have interesting views & cool cities but it has been americanised[/b] , cross the curtain for dat real schitt.

I don't know what that would means pal, but, beside some McDonalds, stupids reality show, and hip hop kids ... I don't see west europe influenced by America that much ...

paritally true, i find germany & holland very americanised, tv, cars, fast food, movies, even accents..

you guys got it all wrong, it's america which is being europeanized.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    .. Scandinavia, Germany & France might have interesting views & cool cities but it has been americanised[/b] , cross the curtain for dat real schitt.

I don't know what that would means pal, but, beside some McDonalds, stupids reality show, and hip hop kids ... I don't see west europe influenced by America that much ...

paritally true, i find germany & holland very americanised, tv, cars, fast food, movies, even accents..

you guys got it all wrong, it's america which is being europeanized.

Amsterdammers got a warped view of the world : - )

W-Europe hasn't really been americanised but they have adopted US culture in favour of their own. Hard to notice when you're living in a major city.

Eastern Europe has always been further away from America than the West on more than one level, but this is changing fast for the worse. A friend of mine just got back from Bulgaria and he could see where it will be going in five years. They're pumping greed in the suburbs, the people will abandon their own culture and eventually the spine of the country will burst.

Luckily we got front row seats.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    They're pumping greed in the suburbs

the people will abandon their own culture and eventually the spine of the country will burst

the spine will burst

example plaese.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

Amsterdammers got a warped view of the world : - )

W-Europe hasn't really been americanised but they have adopted US culture in favour of their own. Hard to notice when you're living in a major city.

no son this is called the marshal plan.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    They're pumping greed in the suburbs, the people will abandon their own culture and eventually the spine of the country will burst.

Plaese to elaborate.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Can people recommend some books so I can get familiar with the cultures I'm going see? I'm actually thinking of making Europe a new home if I enjoy it enough. As much as I love the Bay Area it's time for me to see more of the world.

• Can people recommend some books so I can get familiar with the cultures I'm going see? I'm actually thinking of making Europe a new home if I enjoy it enough. As much as I love the Bay Area it's time for me to see more of the world.

Newpapers are the best place to start - maybe you are already reading guardian/times/fin.times/etc, but have a look for english language dailies/weeklies from where ever it is you might like to make home. As far as books, I know there are a lot that try to address cultural differences in a guidebook style - I think one line of books is called "culture shock" (or something similar), but I've never read any of them so they could be doo-doo in print.

Do you have 'recent' immigrants from Italy or Ireland in your family (going up to the grandparent/great-grandparent level)? Jure Sanguinis laws are complex, but they might help you get an EU citizenship + passport, which will help you live and work there with ease. Other countries might have these laws as well, so its worth looking into.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    I'm actually thinking of making Europe a new home if I enjoy it enough. As much as I love the Bay Area it's time for me to see more of the world.

in case you will ever visit Italy:

italian people like to be lazy (with the notable exception of Northern people, mostly on the eastern cities), they like to crack up jokes and usually they have a great sense of hospitality...
    also they do like to look at women and make juicy comments (but who don't do that),
    italians also like to show they are rich and powerful to their neighbours even if in true they achieved very little,
    they can be easily corrupted,
    usually akin to the motto : "live and let live", they are not violent people,
    most of them have little knowing of english (including me),
    they like to stay with their own family clan (parents,uncles) even when married with children,
    they are not used to travel around....
    they are not really interested to know other cultures, but also they are not interested to conquer other cultures..
    italians can be very catholic still being able to avoid paying taxes end having mistress to play with
    most of them are into soccer way too much
    italians drink coffee at least three times a day...
    they eat cornetto in the morning, spaghetti at lunch and pizza in the evening
    they usually have good taste in food and clothes
    not all of them are affiliated to mafia but if they are into politics there are good chances they are (especially in the southern cities)
    Northerneast people can be very racist, a racism of the redneck type, not the hitler/nazi version)
    most of them have 3 hours lunch break and are gone off duty way before 8 pm
    sunday wives cook their best recipe and with the right company lunch can last 4 or 5 hours....

basically if you come in italy , remember that all the stereotypes on them are usually very true.