traveling Europe?

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Any advice for traveling Europe? I'm planning on traveling Europe for a year. Maybe more. I plan on working for another year to save up some money. I should have anywhere from $10K to $20K saved up by then but want to spend the minimum. Doing it backpack style, camping, etc.

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Spend some time in the Cinque Terra region of the Italian Riviera. You can get an apartment for a night for $100 American. And that's a real 2-bedroom apartment with kitchen, stove, and a balcony if you're lucky. Split the cost with some folks you meet on the road, and it's cheaper thana hostel.

I recommend Riomaggiore:

You'll never regret it.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    You??re welcome to come to Norway and hang out.

The backpacker favourite is mos def interrail. It??s a trainticket that basically lets you travel wherever within single, or multiple, or all zones within Europe.

CHeckitout here:

http://www.interrail.net/

If you need cheap housing and wanna get to know where you??re at from a local perspective, couch-surfing is great.

http://www.couchsurfing.com/

Good luck with your travels, I know a bunch of other American strutters travelled Europe as backpackers and probably have loads of advice for you, these are just two things I thought of immediately.

- J

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    Any advice for traveling Europe? I'm planning on traveling Europe for a year. Maybe more. I plan on working for another year to save up some money. I should have anywhere from $10K to $20K saved up by then but want to spend the minimum. Doing it backpack style, camping, etc.

I did this in 2000-2001. I???ll keep this short, but feel free to PM with any questions or whatever???

-Pack light. Seriously, you need half of what you think you need. Maybe ??.
    -Get in shape before you go (walking, biking, carrying weight on your back.) Keep your health in mind - vitamins, fruit and veggies will be good friends to you.
    -Learn about food in other nations. Get wild and try everything within reason.
    -Don???t plan too much. Wing it. Travel alone.
    -Do you have friends abroad? If they are up for it, visit people, but don???t tread to heavy on their hospitality.
    -Finally, head East.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Spend some time in the Cinque Terra region of the Italian Riviera. You can get an apartment for a night for $100 American. And that's a real 2-bedroom apartment with kitchen, stove, and a balcony if you're lucky. Split the cost with some folks you meet on the road, and it's cheaper thana hostel.

I recommend Riomaggiore:

You'll never regret it.

Sweet lord, that spot looks dope.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I recommend Riomaggiore:

You'll never regret it.

Sweet lord, that spot looks dope.

it is very dope. My girl and I went there last March...awesome

Spend some time in the Cinque Terra region of the Italian Riviera.

Cinque Terre???..
    GBH, the photo you posted shows the homes of friends and fam-in-law of mine. Moms-in-law runs a caf?? in Manarola (just around the bend from rio mazzu), wifey???s cousin runs the hostel, and, well, pretty much the whole village population of 400 is involved in either tourism or fishing.

Cinque Terre was a series of relatively poor fishing villages, which painters, authors and poets visited for centuries. Now, it???s a national park on the UNESCO world heritage list. Sadly, it is also on the list of World Heritage Sites most in danger of losing the essential elements of culture which got them on the Heritage list in the first place. Some, um, less than scrupulous decisions made by the head of the Park, coupled with a decade of increasing tourism has done a lot to dent what was once a paradise. What this photo does not show is the litter, the crowds of college students with wine bottles in tow, trying to party where there is no place to party, making summers not so fun for the local folks.

Cinque Terre is a place for grown folks. Bring your girl or your wife. Take a hike. Eat some fresh seafood. Buy some farinata and focaccia for lunch. Have dinner at Cappu Magru in Groppo, up the hill from Manarola. Finish your meal with a sciacchetr??. Take a stroll on the via dell amore. Take a swim at Guvano if you can find it. But please, respect the people - they were proud before we came with our dollars and euros.

If anyone heads to Cinque Terre, and needs eating, drinking, or housing info, I may be able to help.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    my first and last piece of advice is to make sure your ATM PIN is four digits.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Wow. I had no idea things had gotten that bad. I was there about 9 years ago, though. I'm sorry to hear things have taken such a turn.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Is that a requirement for Europe ATM's?

Wow. I had no idea things had gotten that bad. I was there about 9 years ago, though. I'm sorry to hear things have taken such a turn.

Don't get me wrong, it is still a beautiful place, and well worth a visit. The crowds are a problem during national holidays, when the suburban milanese stream in, in addition to the north americans. During one of those holiday weekends late last summer, they had to close off the the train stations at Vernazza, Corniglia, and Manarola, due to the crowds.

Also, the days of $100 apartments with a balcony mos def went away with the Lira. Strong Euro + weak dollar = tougher on the wallet.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    dont carry lots of cash....especially at hostels.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    travel by train whenever you can.

Is that a requirement for Europe ATM's?

yes. and no one ever tells you that until you're stuck at a French ATM with a five-digit PIN and no money.

(yes I was mad doggie).

maybe this has changed, but it can't hurt to change your PIN now to be on the safe side.

• travel by train whenever you can.

Not in Portugal. The bus is much faster. The train will take a whole day while a bus will maybe take 4-5 hours.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    If you plan on coming to Sweden, get in touch. I could provide a place to crash, meatballs and Abba raer. Well maybe not the last thing.

• You should try to get in contact with local people before you go. Like in my hometown Stuttgart, Germany... you would never be able to check out all the great spots without the help of the local people.

Try to avoid the usual tours and places. The countryside is mostly way more interesting than the big cities. I mean, of course you will have to go to the most famous places in Europe. Paris, Rome, Amsterdam, Berlin, London, etc. But I wouldn't spend more than 3 days in each big city (or place in general). Check out the countryside too. And try to get an insight into local life. Don't hesitate to book 'different' tours. It could be nice to go on a botanical tour in the Swiss Alps, for example. Or go on a wine tour in the Tuscany.

not sure what your educational background is, but I would strongly suggest reading some good histories of the countries you plan on visiting.

• Oh... feel free to contact me if you're going to Southern Germany (especially Stuttgart) or Frankfurt, Germany.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Poland is an amazing place, dont pass up Krakow and Southern Poland(Zakopane, etc)...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    When you are headed to Amsterdam (and you will) drop me a PM.

• radrad 51 Posts
    Poland is an amazing place, dont pass up Krakow and Southern Poland(Zakopane, etc)...

True True:)
    But there is too many british stag parties.
    british guys are really messed up.

Krakow by night:

• co sign on the travel light tip - you won't be seeing anyone you know so they'll have no idea you've been rocking the same few tee's for weeks on end etc ..

eastern europe is going to be cheaper in general than western europe

lots of rilly nice places are, for example, in the valley 3K out of town - a bike could possibly be useful, get some panniers etc .. even if its only for certain areas / times

there are lots andf lots of music festivals in europe - i.e. Sonar and theres some reggae one in northern Italy too - good times

summer months there can be madd busy in the holiday type spots (july/august)

you can buy herb over the counter in Switzerland

try not too look too American, its good to be somewhat incognito if possible

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

True True:)
    But there is too many british stag parties.
    british guys are really messed up.

Krakow by night:

Yo Radek, what up? Good to have you here finally. I get back to you asap...and cosign on cracow! Dope! Dope!

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Finally, head East.

True. Benelux, Scandinavia, Germany & France might have interesting views & cool cities but it has been americanised, cross the curtain for dat real schitt.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    .. Scandinavia, Germany & France might have interesting views & cool cities but it has been americanised[/b] , cross the curtain for dat real schitt.

I don't know what that would means pal, but, beside some McDonalds, stupids reality show, and hip hop kids ... I don't see west europe influenced by America that much ...

on the contrary, here in China, for example, I can see much more american influence aound that when I'm back home

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Finally, head East.

True. Benelux, Scandinavia, Germany & France might have interesting views & cool cities but it has been americanised, cross the curtain for dat real schitt.

It??s true. You??ll never see more 7-11s than in Norway! But, the same rule applies here as anywhere, go OFF the beaten track, get out into the wilds, like the other guy said; just risk it. Go to places on a whim. Follow the gut-feeling, and GET IN TOUCH WITH LOCALS anywhere, if you??re looking for "dat real schitt".

I mean, even in America you can find places that are distinctly UNAmerican if you want to.

- J

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    .. Scandinavia, Germany & France might have interesting views & cool cities but it has been americanised[/b] , cross the curtain for dat real schitt.

I don't know what that would means pal, but, beside some McDonalds, stupids reality show, and hip hop kids ... I don't see west europe influenced by America that much ...

agreed.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

agreed.

yup.

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts

paritally true, i find germany & holland very americanised, tv, cars, fast food, movies, even accents..

france tho, never thought it myself.

its off the interrail track but if you can reach our little island do man, its
    for rugged and raw

http://ni_towns.tripod.com/portsalon/psalon_beach.jpg

http://www.tranniehaven.com/images/West_Cork_2003_013.WSjpg.jpg

• travel by train whenever you can.

and hitchhike